Street Named after Muslim Brotherhood Founder Sparks Uproar in Egypt

A woman wearing a protective face mask, amid concerns over the coronavirus, walks next to a wall painted with colors of the Egypt's flag in Cairo, Egypt April 26, 2020. (Reuters)
A woman wearing a protective face mask, amid concerns over the coronavirus, walks next to a wall painted with colors of the Egypt's flag in Cairo, Egypt April 26, 2020. (Reuters)
TT

Street Named after Muslim Brotherhood Founder Sparks Uproar in Egypt

A woman wearing a protective face mask, amid concerns over the coronavirus, walks next to a wall painted with colors of the Egypt's flag in Cairo, Egypt April 26, 2020. (Reuters)
A woman wearing a protective face mask, amid concerns over the coronavirus, walks next to a wall painted with colors of the Egypt's flag in Cairo, Egypt April 26, 2020. (Reuters)

A street named after the founder of the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Hassan al-Banna, in Nile Delta city has sparked outrage among the people.

Following a complaint submitted by the residents of Mit Ghamr, officials pledged to rename the street after a police or army martyrs.

Deputy Governor of Dakahlia Haitham El Sheikh confirmed that the name will be changed and a committee will choose the new one.

“The name will be changed as soon as a new one is chosen,” he added. The change will be introduced at all public departments and a new sign will be hung up.

Lawmakers had in October 2018 demanded that the names of Muslim Brotherhood be removed from street signs in the country.

In late 2018, the same issue had sparked crises in the Egypt Delta and Minya governorates. Governors at the time took the necessary measures to rename the streets after martyrs, in response to the people’s demands to remove the Muslim Brotherhood labels.



Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
TT

Seven Migrants Dead, 50 Rescued off Libya

FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)
FILE - Migrants are brought to shore after being intercepted by the Libyan coast guard on the Mediterranean Sea, in Garaboli Libya, on Oct. 18, 2021. (AP Photo/Yousef Murad, File)

An Italian rescue charity said on Monday it pulled 50 people to safety from a double-deck wooden boat in international waters off Libya, and recovered seven bodies.

Emergency said it spotted the "overcrowded wooden boat" in the early hours and began the rescue operation.

"Halfway through the rescue, our team noticed nine people lying on the deck," Jonathan Nani La Terra, the mission leader on board Emergency's Life Support search and rescue vessel, said in a statement.

The nine "had been moved there by other survivors who had recovered them from the hold where they had spent the entire journey", he said.

"Nothing could be done for seven of them. Two are in a critical condition due to suffocation," he said.

The migrants, who hail from Somalia and Egypt, said the boat had set off from Zuwara in Libya early on Sunday.

The International Organization for Migration said last week that the number of known migrant deaths in the central Mediterranean has increased drastically, even as migrant numbers fall because of harsher European policies.

This was partly due to a bout of severe weather in January and journeys growing longer with migrant boats departing further away from European shores.

Some 17,800 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, compared to 39,116 during the same period in 2025, according to interior ministry data.

 

 

 

 


Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
TT

Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Condemns Iranian Drone Attack Targeting His Office

Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani
Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani

The office of Kurdistan Region Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the headquarters of the region’s local intelligence director were targeted on Monday by two explosive-laden drones.

Barzani described the attack on his personal office as “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region.”

“Based on information and investigations conducted by the Kurdistan Region’s Counter-Terrorism Directorate, it has been established that my personal office and the residence of the head of the Parastin Agency were targeted today by Iranian drones,” Barzani said.

“I strongly condemn these reckless and unacceptable attacks and affirm that they constitute a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the region. Such attacks will not deter us from continuing to carry out our duties and protect our citizens,” he added.


Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.