Frank Lampard: Chelsea Top-Four Destiny 'in Our Own Hands'

 The Chelsea head coach, Frank Lampard, on the touchline at Anfield. His side need a point against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to secure a top-four finish. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian
The Chelsea head coach, Frank Lampard, on the touchline at Anfield. His side need a point against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to secure a top-four finish. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian
TT

Frank Lampard: Chelsea Top-Four Destiny 'in Our Own Hands'

 The Chelsea head coach, Frank Lampard, on the touchline at Anfield. His side need a point against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to secure a top-four finish. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian
The Chelsea head coach, Frank Lampard, on the touchline at Anfield. His side need a point against Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to secure a top-four finish. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/NMC Pool/The Guardian

Frank Lampard backed Chelsea to handle the pressure of trying to qualify for the Champions League on the final day of the season and refused to criticise Kepa Arrizabalaga after the goalkeeper struggled against Liverpool, who marked lifting the Premier League trophy with a thrilling 5-3 victory at Anfield.

While Manchester United’s draw with West Ham earlier in the evening meant Lampard’s side went into their game against the champions knowing a point would seal a place in the top four, they were unable to contain ­Liverpool’s attack and fell short despite a spirited comeback in the second half. Jürgen Klopp’s side led 3-1 at half-time and the focus homed in on Chelsea’s defending, with ­Arrizabalaga under the spotlight after conceding a long-range strike from Naby Keïta and a free-kick from Trent Alexander-Arnold.

However Chelsea, who slipped into fourth place on goal difference after United came from behind to rescue a point against West Ham, will secure Champions League football if they draw with Wolves at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. Leicester, who are a point below Chelsea, host United on the final day and Lampard urged his team to seize the moment.

“They have to embrace that and take it on,” Chelsea’s manager said. “We’ve got a mixture of youth and sometimes that youthfulness can help but we also have players who have been in situations like this before. It comes with the territory of playing for a top club. We should have a feeling of achievement to this point. Not many people expected us to be in the top-four race. We now have it in our own hands.

“We’re at the Bridge. We have a really strong opponent coming in Wolves. It’s up to us. I’ve got belief in the players. I’ve seen a lot in the last two games, particularly against Manchester United and with Liverpool tonight, of what we are about. There’s been spirit and character in those two performances. We have to carry on with one more in the league.”

Lampard wants Chelsea, who face Arsenal in the FA Cup final on 1 August, to remain calm against Wolves. “There will be a lot going on on Sunday,” he said. “What’s important for the players is they absolutely focus on themselves because it is in our own hands. We can’t affect what’s going on elsewhere and we have to try and get over the line.”

While Arrizabalaga has had a shaky season, Lampard refused to single out the Spaniard for a poor defensive display. “I wouldn’t talk about individuals in a game where we have conceded those goals,” Lampard said. “Some were real quality Liverpool finishes, particularly the free-kick. There were some collective and individual errors for them but what we did do was contribute towards a really good game.”

Chelsea have conceded 54 goals in 37 league games, the most in the top half. “I don’t want to dwell on how many goals we have conceded now,” Lampard said. “We have got a game to go and we want to win that game to get into the top four. We know we have to improve on different elements of our game. At the same time, with the challenges that were put on us at the start of the season, we have it in our hands.”

It was a night to remember for ­Liverpool, who were handed the trophy by Sir Kenny Dalglish after ending their 30-year wait for the league title, but the celebratory mood was diluted by some supporters defying pleas to maintain social distancing by ­gathering outside Anfield.

Fireworks were let off outside the ground on several occasions during the game and Merseyside police put in place a 24-hour dispersal order at 9.30pm as they anticipated large crowds gathering in Liverpool. After a number of incidents at the Pier Head and in the city centre when Liverpool were crowned champions on the night of 25 June, a dispersal zone was ­introduced in parts of the city.

Klopp, who led the celebrations in an empty stadium, urged supporters to stay away. “If you don’t see that we do it for you I can’t help you,” Liverpool’s manager said. “You made us happy, we all should celebrate at home. Prepare for a party and when this fucking virus has gone we will have a party.”

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.