Africa Heads to Coronavirus Landmark With Worse to Come

An undertaker wears a protective suit for a funeral in Johannesburg. South Africa has the highest numbers of diagnosed infections in Africa | AFP
An undertaker wears a protective suit for a funeral in Johannesburg. South Africa has the highest numbers of diagnosed infections in Africa | AFP
TT

Africa Heads to Coronavirus Landmark With Worse to Come

An undertaker wears a protective suit for a funeral in Johannesburg. South Africa has the highest numbers of diagnosed infections in Africa | AFP
An undertaker wears a protective suit for a funeral in Johannesburg. South Africa has the highest numbers of diagnosed infections in Africa | AFP

Africa is now edging towards a million cases of coronavirus, but experts warn far worse lies ahead in a continent struggling with fragile health systems and slender economic resources.

Countries across Africa have recorded more than 850,000 infections and at least 18,000 deaths, according to an AFP tally as of Tuesday.

The toll took a while to move into higher gear thanks to early restrictions on contact and movement, Dr. Mary Stephens, an expert at the World Health Organization (WHO) Africa office, told AFP.

"We haven't seen the peak yet," she warned. "All countries in Africa are at risk because our health systems are relatively weak."

Here is an overview of key countries:

- South Africa -

The continent's most industrialized economy has notched up more than 450,000 infections -- the highest number in Africa and the fifth-biggest in the world.

It has recorded more than 7,000 deaths, although there is concern that fatalities are being under-reported.

Last week, the respected Medical Research Council noted a nearly 60-percent jump in "natural" deaths for this time of the year compared with the historical trend.

"The peak will come in July, August, and September," Health Minister Zweli Mkhize predicted on Sunday.

South Africa imposed one of the world's toughest lockdowns in March.

Measures included the closure of schools, factories, non-essential shops, and a ban on sale of alcohol and cigarettes.

The restrictions were lifted in June, but some were reinstituted this month. Schools shut again and the alcohol ban returned.

The country also has more than 13,000 infected health workers, a record.

- Nigeria -

Africa's most populous nation has registered 41,000 cases, the second-highest tally south of the Sahara, with numbers rising by between 500-700 each day.

But prevalence could be far higher, given the lack of testing.

About 3,000 tests are carried per day on average in a country of around 200 million people -- just a tenth of the number conducted in South Africa which has about a quarter of the population.

"For every one case, there are a handful of cases that we are missing because we are not able to test everybody," Sani Aliyu, the head of Nigeria's virus taskforce, admitted.

The epicenter is Lagos, the densely-populated commercial hub, which is also Africa´s largest city with a population of 20 million.

Health officials in the crowded city are worried by the availability of space to isolate those found positive.

"Through our modeling, we know we are going to exceed our isolation capacity sooner than later," Lagos State health commissioner Akin Abayomi told AFP.

Despite the swelling numbers, Nigeria is having a hard time convincing skeptics that the threat is for real.

"We should not wait for such a time when we start picking bodies on the streets before we do what is necessary," Nigerian Medical Association's Innocent Ujah told AFP.

- Kenya -

Kenya has seen cases triple to 17,975 in the past month. However, as a percentage of its population of 47 million, the numbers remain low.

Earlier this month government lifted restrictions that had cordoned off Nairobi and other hard-hit cities, while announcing that international flights will resume on August 1.

But on Monday President Uhuru Kenyatta banned the sale of alcohol in restaurants after noting an "aggressive surge" among young people who were socializing "particularly in environments serving alcohol".

The country has declared the 2020 school year lost.

- Cameroon -

Cameroon is central Africa's most affected country with 16,708 cases. Only about 145,000 tests have been carried out among the 25 million population.

Cameroon is past its first peak, which "occurred between the end of June and early July," according to Professor Yap Boum of Epicenter Africa, the epidemiology branch of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, Doctors Without Borders).

But "this does not mean that the pandemic is over," he warned.

Cameroon did not impose strict lockdown measures as other countries have done. Although the wearing of masks is compulsory in public places, very few people bother to do so.

- Djibouti -

Tiny Djibouti, with a population of around one million, has the second-highest case rate in East Africa, with more than 5,000 infections.

Government attributes this to aggressive contact tracing and the highest testing rate in Africa with more than five percent of the population having been tested.

"I think we have passed the peak," Dr. Bouh Abdi Khareih, co-ordinator of Djibouti's COVID response, told AFP.

- Madagascar -

President Andry Rajoelina has been vigorously touting an infusion derived from artemisia -- a plant with proven anti-malarial properties -- as a homegrown cure for COVID-19.

But Madagascar has seen a surge in infections in recent weeks to more than 9,600 cases and nearly 100 deaths, and hospitals in the capital Antananarivo have said they are running out of beds.

Last week, Health Minister Ahmad Ahmad made an "urgent appeal" to development agencies -- his ministry is seeking oxygen bottles, face masks, gloves, and medical blouses.

Ahmad was reprimanded by the government for taking what it called a "personal initiative" without consultation.

- Tanzania -

Tanzania has downplayed any threat from COVID-19 and stopped releasing official figures

"That's why we are all not wearing face masks here. You think we don't fear dying? It's because there is no COVID-19," President John Magufuli declared on Monday.

- Least-affected countries -

Figures from a number of African countries suggest they have so far escaped the full wrath of the coronavirus.

Least-affected countries include the island nations of the Seychelles (114 cases) and Mauritius, with 344.

Eritrea has 263 cases and Lesotho 505.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.