Husband of Detained UK-Iranian Urges Govt. Help after New Charges

A photo of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is seen among candles during a birthday vigil for her daughter opposite the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London, on June 11, 2018. (Getty Images)
A photo of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is seen among candles during a birthday vigil for her daughter opposite the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London, on June 11, 2018. (Getty Images)
TT

Husband of Detained UK-Iranian Urges Govt. Help after New Charges

A photo of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is seen among candles during a birthday vigil for her daughter opposite the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London, on June 11, 2018. (Getty Images)
A photo of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is seen among candles during a birthday vigil for her daughter opposite the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, London, on June 11, 2018. (Getty Images)

The husband of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, a British-Iranian woman detained in Tehran for sedition, on Wednesday called on the UK government to do "everything to protect her" after Iran announced she faces fresh charges.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe, 41, has spent more than four years in jail or under house arrest since being arrested in the Iranian capital in April 2016 while on a visit to see family with her young daughter.

Iranian state television's website Iribnews said on Tuesday she and her lawyer had been notified of a new indictment, without giving further details or a trial date.

But her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, said she is due to appear in court on Sunday and it was "increasingly clear" she was being held as a "hostage" and as "leverage against a UK debt.

"It is important that the UK government does everything to protect her and others as Iran's hostage diplomacy continues to escalate," he added in a statement.

"This starts with the British embassy insisting it is able to attend Nazanin's trial on Sunday."

Zaghari-Ratcliffe, who worked for the Thomson Reuters Foundation -- the media organization’s philanthropic arm -- denied sedition but was convicted and jailed for five years.

The head of the foundation, Antonio Zappulla, on Tuesday condemned the latest move by the Iranian authorities to prolong her detention as "inhumane and unjust".

'Bargaining chip'
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's spokesman said the UK government was raising concerns with Iran "at the highest levels".

The foreign ministry said bringing new charges was "indefensible and unacceptable", while Ratcliffe said it was clear the Iranian authorities were blocking her release.

"They (the charges) are obviously a bad sign because it's a new court case," he told AFP in an interview in London.

"New court cases in the Revolutionary Court always end in a conviction. We don't know how big that conviction will be but another conviction means more prison.

"It means it's less likely that she's going to come home."

He added: "My sense of it is that this is political... to put pressure on the British government. She was picked up to put pressure on the British government.

"We've been a bargaining chip all along and I've been clear about the fact that I think she's a hostage."

Ratcliffe called it a "cruel game" but said London's approach to put pressure on Tehran "isn't working". "We need to sit down, and talk through what are the alternatives," he added.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been on temporary release from Evin prison in Tehran and under house arrest since earlier this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Links have been drawn in the UK and Iran between her detention and a debt dating back over 40 years to when the shah of Iran paid the UK £400 million for 1,500 Chieftain tanks.

When the shah was ousted in 1979, Britain refused to deliver the tanks to the new republic but kept the money.



Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.