UN Makes Arrangements for Houthi, Yemeni Gov’t Direct Meeting

UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
TT
20

UN Makes Arrangements for Houthi, Yemeni Gov’t Direct Meeting

UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)
UN Special Envoy to Yemen meets with Houthi delegation in Muscat, Oman (United Nations)

The UN Special Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths is seeking to bring together the two warring Yemeni parties over the next few days, Western sources told Asharq Al-Awsat, adding that the internationally-recognized government and Houthis are seriously discussing a final joint declaration.

The sources, speaking under the conditions of anonymity, said that there was headway registered for UN peacemaking efforts in war-torn Yemen.

Should progress continue to advance, sources predicted that a joint declaration may be published this November.

Last week, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Yemeni parties to agree on a joint declaration on a nationwide cease-fire, economic and humanitarian measures and the resumption of the political process.

It is worth noting that the last political agreement inked between the Yemeni government and Houthis was in late 2018, when a deal was signed in the Swedish capital, Stockholm.

Griffiths, on Sunday, had met in the Omani capital, Muscat, with the head of the Houthi delegation, Muhammad Abdul Salam.

"The meeting discussed the ongoing negotiations on the draft joint declaration (a UN proposal that includes a comprehensive ceasefire, economic and humanitarian arrangements, and the resumption of the political process) and the prospects for the political process in Yemen," the UN envoy’s office said.

Sources pointed out that the meeting took a positive turn with respect to publishing an approved joint declaration.

Meeting with the Omani Foreign Minister Badr Al-Busaidi, Griffiths discussed ongoing talks and negotiations about a draft joint declaration and chances of rebooting the political process in Yemen.

British Ambassador to Yemen Michael Aron welcomed the progress made by Griffiths’ efforts in Yemen, especially on convincing the Yemeni government and Houthi coupists to convene to draft a joint declaration and reach a comprehensive political settlement for a nationwide ceasefire.

In statements to Asharq Al-Awsat, Aron said that Griffiths’ meeting with the head of the Houthi delegation “made progress on the issue of the joint declaration.”

He pointed out that the UN envoy is also working with the legitimate government on the joint declaration, noting that the UN envoy “wants a direct meeting between the two parties, and progress has been made on the issue.”



UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
TT
20

UK Police Arrest Two Men over Alleged Hezbollah Links

A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel
A protester holding a flag of Lebanon's Hezbollah during a demonstration in Istanbul, Tuesday, May 15, 2018. AP Photo/Emrah Gurel

British counter-terrorism police said on Thursday they had arrested two men accused of being linked to the banned group Hezbollah, saying their investigation involved alleged activity both overseas and in Britain.

Detectives from London's Counter Terrorism Command (CTC) arrested a 39-year-old man in north London on suspicion of being a member of a proscribed group, preparing acts of terrorism and being involved in funding for the purposed of terrorism, Reuters said.

A second man, 35, was arrested in west London on suspicion of being a member of a banned organization.

"Our investigation remains ongoing, but I hope that these arrests show we will take robust action against anyone here whom we suspect as being involved in terrorist activity regardless of whether their activity is focused here in the UK or elsewhere," said commander Dominic Murphy, head of the CTC.

Police said the investigation related to the Iran-backed Lebanese movement Hezbollah which Britain outlawed in 2019 when it classified it as a terrorist group. There was no immediate threat to the public, they said.

The two men were released on police bail until mid-July.