Yemen Holds Onto 3 References to Achieve Peace

Yemeni PM Abdulmalik received Monday in the temporary capital Aden families of a number of victims of the terrorist attack on Aden airport (saba)
Yemeni PM Abdulmalik received Monday in the temporary capital Aden families of a number of victims of the terrorist attack on Aden airport (saba)
TT
20

Yemen Holds Onto 3 References to Achieve Peace

Yemeni PM Abdulmalik received Monday in the temporary capital Aden families of a number of victims of the terrorist attack on Aden airport (saba)
Yemeni PM Abdulmalik received Monday in the temporary capital Aden families of a number of victims of the terrorist attack on Aden airport (saba)

The Yemeni government has reiterated its support for the task of the UN envoy on the basis of the three references, after reports said Martin Griffiths plans to kick off a series of meetings to revive comprehensive political talks on the draft Joint Declaration.

“The government's vision is based on supporting the task of the UN envoy on the basis of the three references; the GCC Initiative, the outcomes of the National Dialogue Conference and UN Resolution 2216,” Yemeni Foreign Minister Ahmed BinMubarak said Monday during a meeting with European Union Ambassador to Yemen Hanse Grundberg.

According to Yemen’s saba news agency, BinMubarak and Grundberg discussed humanitarian issues and the Houthi militias’ terrorist attack on Aden Airport last week.

BinMubarak praised efforts exerted by the UN envoy to Yemen for solving the country’s crisis, and made it clear that the terrorist attack waged by the Houthis on Aden International Airport was part of their agenda to spread chaos and violence in Yemen.

The European diplomat pointed out to the EU statement, which denounced the airport attack that aimed at foiling hopes of peace. He expressed support to the government of Yemen for realizing peace, hoping that the attack will not affect its mission.

Yemeni Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik said results of preliminary investigations show that Houthis had launched the attack on Aden’s airport while the world was watching live the arrival of the new government.

Abdulmalik’s statements came as he received Monday in the temporary capital Aden families of a number of persons who were killed in the attack.

"We won't forget the martyrs' blood nor abandon the wounded, we must work jointly to get rid of this calamity, put down the coup and restore the state," the PM said.



Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
TT
20

Beirut Airport Security Moves to Curb Hezbollah’s Influence

A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).
A plane takes off from Beirut airport on October 7, 2024 (Reuters).

Lebanese authorities have begun curbing Hezbollah’s influence at Beirut’s Rafik Hariri International Airport by revoking the security clearances of numerous airport workers affiliated with the group.

The airport security apparatus has refused to renew these permits, significantly limiting Hezbollah’s reach within the facility.

According to an informed airport source, over 30 employees have been notified that their security clearances have expired and will not be renewed. Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, the source explained that the decision affected not only baggage handlers assisting passengers but also those loading and unloading aircraft, as well as personnel in baggage inspection and lost-and-found departments.

“The decision came as a shock to those affected, especially since many had worked at the airport for years with unrestricted movement,” the source said.

This move aims to enhance airport security and reduce Hezbollah’s influence to the lowest possible level. The source described the dismissed employees as “the party’s eyes and ears inside the airport, providing a constant flow of intelligence on the movement of travelers.”

The source also revealed that Hezbollah had previously exerted pressure to secure employment and access permits for its loyalists, ensuring that only individuals approved by the group could receive such authorizations.

“This is how Hezbollah expanded its control over the airport for decades,” the source added.

The crackdown follows Lebanon’s recent ban on Iranian civilian aircraft landing at Rafik Hariri International Airport, alongside stricter baggage inspections for passengers arriving from Iraq or those transiting through a third country from Iran. These measures were introduced after authorities discovered undeclared cash, suspected to be Iranian funds intended for Hezbollah.

The restrictions sparked protests from Hezbollah supporters, who staged week-long demonstrations in February, blocking airport access roads and causing disruptions to flight schedules.

The effort to limit Hezbollah’s reach extends beyond civilian workers. A senior security official told Asharq Al-Awsat that the purge will also affect security personnel within airport divisions, including customs officers, Internal Security Forces (ISF) personnel, and General Security officers.

“Many individuals are suspected of facilitating Hezbollah’s activities, whether out of political loyalty or financial incentives,” the official said.

The official described the ongoing changes as a “major security shake-up” aimed at replacing those under suspicion. The restructuring depends on internal reshuffles within Lebanon’s security agencies.

“The newly appointed security chiefs now have a clear picture of the situation. Upcoming personnel rotations will certainly include units operating at the airport,” the official confirmed.