Premier League and Carabao Cup: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend

Jürgen Klopp, Timo Werner and Raheem Sterling. Composite: Getty/Shutterstock
Jürgen Klopp, Timo Werner and Raheem Sterling. Composite: Getty/Shutterstock
TT

Premier League and Carabao Cup: 10 Talking Points From the Weekend

Jürgen Klopp, Timo Werner and Raheem Sterling. Composite: Getty/Shutterstock
Jürgen Klopp, Timo Werner and Raheem Sterling. Composite: Getty/Shutterstock

1) City vastly superior … now for killer instinct

As Manchester City went through the gears in the first half, their play resembled the 2019 FA Cup final, a glorious 6-0 dissolution of Watford. But first-half goals never came and doubts descended. City were better than last week at Wembley when Chelsea ended hopes of a quadruple but their problems were similar. They lack a true finisher, with Sergio Agüero departing and Gabriel Jesus, who scored twice two years ago against Watford, no longer trusted by Pep Guardiola. Raheem Sterling’s poor form has also been unhelpful. A team hoping to reach the club’s first ever Champions League final when they meet PSG this week and next lack the killer instinct in attack that recent winners like Liverpool, with Mohamed Salah, and Bayern Munich, with Robert Lewandowski, could lean on. Patience and quality eventually told but Guardiola would surely rather not rely on set-piece headers from defenders to win matches that should have been out of sight. John Brewin

2) Klopp turns his anger towards players

“Really close to being unacceptable.” Jürgen Klopp’s patience snapped in all directions last week as a consequence of his owners’ greed but it was simply, and significantly, his players’ performance against Newcastle that tipped him towards the edge as a football manager. The protection he gave them throughout the six-game losing run at Anfield is no longer available. Liverpool had more shots on target than when beating Crystal Palace 7-0 on 19 December – a result that moved the champions five points clear at the top – yet were indebted to the ludicrous handball rule for a point. Given the scale of the downturn, Klopp was asked: is it too simplistic to believe Liverpool will be rejuvenated once the injured cavalry return? “No,” he replied. “The long-term solutions are fine, but the short term we have to work on. We have nothing to lose anymore. We want to deserve the Champions League. We don’t want to be cheeky and come in somehow. We want to earn it and with these results you don’t earn it.” Andy Hunter

3) Form of Son was taken for granted

In October 2017, Pep Guardiola described Tottenham as “Harry Kane Team”. Son-Heung min has served Guardiola several helpings of his own words. Son, not Kanehas been the common denominator in Spurs’ victories over Guardiola’s City. He has scored six times against them, including three in the heart-stopping Champions League quarter-final of 2019. At Wembley, he was a long way from his best. Son ended the match on his haunches, in tears, being consoled by Phil Foden and Ilkay Gündoğan. They were tears of disappointment, probably also of frustration at his own performance. Son is usually such a dynamic, decisive player, but took the safe option throughout and seemed especially reluctant to run at Kyle Walker.Earlier in the season, it was said ad nauseum that José Mourinho had a chance of winning trophies at Spurs if Kane and Son stayed fit. We took their form for granted. Rob Smyth

4) Fernandes’s slump cannot last much longer

Bruno Fernandes has scored just once in Manchester United’s last 10 games – a late penalty against Granada – and he scuffed a gilded chance to break the deadlock at Elland Road. It is the mark of the Portuguese playmaker’s class that he is still the club’s top scorer this season with 24, four ahead of Marcus Rashford. His drought surely cannot continue much longer, which may be bad news for Roma as they travel to Old Trafford for Thursday’s Europa League semi-final first leg. Fernandes’ recent lack of potency also shows up an encouraging development for Solskjær’s side – a sign of less reliance on the midfielder. This draw was a first stumble after five consecutive league wins and United are finishing the campaign as strongly as they were weak at the start. Now, the hope is that Fernandes can relocate his finishing. Jamie Jackson

5) Arteta feels heat as paths to Europe narrow

Mikel Arteta was raging after Arsenal’s defeat to Everton and, taking the subject of his ire at face value, nobody could really blame him. VAR is testing the patience of most who love football and the Premier League would be better off without its overbearing presence. But it did seem a convenient vent for wider frustration: like almost everyone in the sport who is not an absentee billionaire Arteta was rocked hard by the Super League fiasco, so the fans’ audible protests outside the Emirates as the match progressed must have hurt. There is also the inconvenient truth of what Friday night’s result meant. Arsenal can forget about earning European football via the domestic route now, so everything hangs on a Europa League double-header with Villarreal, managed by Arteta’s predecessor, Unai Emery. It is a winnable tie, but the alternative would make things distinctly awkward before a summer where Arsenal require changes from top to bottom. Can he afford to get it wrong? Nick Ames

6) Werner is not another forward flop for Chelsea

Timo Werner is having a very odd season. In one sense the German has been a disappointment since joining Chelsea from RB Leipzig. Werner’s brilliantly-worked goal in the crucial 1-0 win at West Ham was only his third in his last 32 appearances and he still managed to conjure a comical miss during the second half, underlining his capacity to lurch from the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of 90 minutes. Yet the striker’s erratic finishing does not tell the story in full. Although Werner is a puzzle in front of goal, he is a nightmare to mark. He has more to his game than goals, which is why Thomas Tuchel picks him. Werner is quick, his movement is good and he makes things happen. He created Hakim Ziyech’s winner against Manchester City in the FA Cup and has been far more effective than previous flops like Álvaro Morata and Fernando Torres. Jacob Steinberg

7) Bielsa reveals his pragmatic side

At this time of year, games can emit a stench of close-season, and this was one such. But the way Marcelo Bielsa adapted his tactics was significant; his method is characterized by its implacability, but Leeds’ man-to-man marking system being torn apart when the teams met at Old Trafford forced a rethink. So Bielsa made the brave decision to have Kalvin Phillips follow Bruno Fernandes about, effectively sacrificing his most important player to subdue his opponents’ – rather like West Germany and Germany did in the 1966 and 1990 World Cup finals, putting Franz Beckenbauer and Lothar Matthäus on Bobby Charlton and Diego Maradona respectively. This was a bold call, and he didn’t know that Paul Pogba, their other creator, would remain on the bench for 76 minutes. But it showed that Bielsa is willing to compromise when circumstances demand it, embroidering his idealism with just a touch of pragmatism. It augurs well for his team’s progression. Daniel Harris

8) Maupay miss sums up Brighton’s problem

“The challenge is not to think about what has just happened,” said Graham Potter. The problem for Neal Maupay is that his miss at Bramall Lane was so memorable it may be unforgettable: three yards out, he skied a shot way over the bar. Were he a defender, it would have been a brilliant clearance from the most perilous of positions. Instead, he is a profligate forward, the personification of Brighton’s wastefulness. Only Timo Werner and Roberto Firmino have underperformed their expected goals by more than Maupay; this chance, according to the metric, would be a goal 87% of the time. According to xG, Brighton “ought” to have outscored Arsenal and Tottenham this season; instead they only average a goal a game, with none in their last 347 minutes. It is to Maupay’s credit that as an eager runner, he gets into the positions to miss; it is a worry that he keeps on doing so. Richard Jolly

9) Burnley offer Wolves a lesson in team spirit

It was difficult to watch Wolves’ lifeless display at Molineux and not link it to the way the team has been put together. Jorge Mendes’ influence at the club has been documented at length and, on the face of it, has served the team well: successive seventh-place finishes attest to a squad with a serious (and seriously pricey) array of talent. But perhaps the pitfall of allowing a super-agent to curate your squad is that factors like attitude, togetherness and commitment to the project fall by the wayside. Wolves’ players may not all be laissez-faire mercenaries but they were certainly made to look that way by a fearsome Burnley side who offset their limitations with tenacity and endeavor. The task of Nuno Espírito Santo, if he is to avoid any whispers about his job, is to galvanize a depleted and indifferent squad with nothing to play for. Perhaps he should remind them that’s it’s not just his reputation at stake, but theirs too. Alex Hess

10) Will Allardyce stay with Baggies after drop?

West Brom look to be relegated, after Keinan Davis’s late equalizer snatched what would have been a life raft to cling on to. When the almost inevitable occurs, what happens afterward to Sam Allardyce and his squad? Of those he is working with, Matheus Pereira, the best player on the park against Villa, appears someone many a Premier League club would fancy taking a chance on. The goalkeeper, Sam Johnstone, excellent in being overworked at Villa Park, has had a solid season. Okay Yokuslu, a 6’ 3” midfielder loaned from Celta Vigo, was a typically adept Allardyce January signing. And Conor Gallagher, loaned from Chelsea, gives his all in the heart of midfield and would be one of the classiest players in the Championship should he stay on next season. The main question, though is whether Allardyce himself stays on. What is his appetite for managing in a division he last visited with West Ham in 2012? JB



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.