Iran’s Rouhani Apologizes for Power Cuts, Blames Heat

Iranians are enduring sweeping power blackouts, which authorities blame on high temperatures and a drought which have driven up demand and curtailed hydroelectric power generation. (AFP)
Iranians are enduring sweeping power blackouts, which authorities blame on high temperatures and a drought which have driven up demand and curtailed hydroelectric power generation. (AFP)
TT

Iran’s Rouhani Apologizes for Power Cuts, Blames Heat

Iranians are enduring sweeping power blackouts, which authorities blame on high temperatures and a drought which have driven up demand and curtailed hydroelectric power generation. (AFP)
Iranians are enduring sweeping power blackouts, which authorities blame on high temperatures and a drought which have driven up demand and curtailed hydroelectric power generation. (AFP)

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani apologized Wednesday for sweeping blackouts, blaming a searing drought he said had sharply driven up demand and virtually halted hydroelectric power generation.

Since last week, Tehran and Iran’s other major cities have experienced frequent power outages that authorities say may continue until late July.

Unconfirmed videos circulating on social media appear to show frustrated Iranians protesting the outages in several cities including Shiraz and Kazeroun in the south, and Amol and Kordkuy in the north, as well as Tehran.

Tehran resident Azam, a hairdresser, said she holds the government responsible for failing to “provide the basics” like electricity.

“It’s not like we’re asking for much,” she told AFP, complaining that the authorities “just ask the people to be patient and endure”.

“All our business requires electricity, and this (outage) has disrupted our life,” said private company employee Hamid.

The energy ministry has published schedules for rolling blackouts but many citizens and businesses have lost power unexpectedly in recent days.

“We regret the problems the people have had in the past few days,” Rouhani said in televised remarks at a cabinet meeting mostly dedicated to the power cuts, which have sparked a chorus of complaints.

“On the one hand, our output has dropped due to the condition of hydroelectric power plants, and on the other consumption has gone up,” Rouhani said.

He attributed the surge in demand to “industrial growth and extreme heat” as well as energy-intensive cryptocurrency mining operations.

In May, the government temporarily banned crypto mining for four months, but Iranian news agencies still report frequent police raids on “illegal farms” that authorities say use large amounts of subsidized electricity.

‘Unprecedented drought’
On Tuesday, Rouhani said Iran was facing an “unprecedented drought” with average rainfall down 52 percent compared to the previous year, bringing hydroelectric power generation to “almost” zero.

He called on the energy ministry to prevent any cuts outside of the scheduled blackouts of at least two hours a day.

Rouhani also blamed Washington’s punishing sanctions on Iran for choking investment in energy infrastructure.

“The result is having no capital, and then big projects cannot be done,” he told the cabinet. “Who would want to invest when the country’s risk goes up?”

Sanctions have left Iran facing its “most serious macroeconomic crisis” since its 1979 revolution, Thierry Coville of the Institute for International and Strategic Relations in Paris told AFP last month.

The crisis has also sharply reduced infrastructure investment by the government, said Coville, who added “it is no coincidence that we are starting to see power cuts in Iran.”

After the cabinet meeting, Energy Minister Reza Ardakanian said he “sincerely” apologized to Iranians. Until late August all government departments would remain closed for an extra day a week, on Thursdays, to save energy, he added.

Ardakanian had offered a similar apology in May, when Iran introduced planned, rolling blackouts after Tehran and other cities were hit by unannounced power cuts.

Tehran’s police chief said the blackouts were placing a huge burden on his officers as traffic lights failed across the capital.

The cuts also raised concerns about the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic in Iran, as Tehran’s anti-coronavirus committee chief warned against health centers losing power while the capital struggles to contain a new wave of the virus.

Some 85,000 people have died after contracting the virus, with more than 3.3 million cases recorded in Iran, making it the region’s hardest-hit country.

Power cuts are not uncommon during Iran’s hot summers, when the rising temperatures lead to a spike in the use of air-conditioning.

But Rouhani said this year’s power shortage was the worst in 11 years, brought about by the searing drought.

Iran’s meteorological office forecast the extreme heat would continue until Friday, with highs of 41 degrees Celsius (106 degrees Fahrenheit) in Tehran and 51 degrees (124 degrees) in Ahvaz in the southwest.



Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iran's foreign minister met his Pakistani counterpart on Friday to discuss proposals to end the US-Israeli war, Iranian media reported, with Tehran and Washington still at odds over Tehran's uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz.

Two days after presenting the Iranians with the latest US message in the negotiations, Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi held another round of talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi in Tehran, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday there had been "some good signs" in the talks, but there could be no solution if Tehran enforced a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, which it effectively closed to most shipping after the war began on February 28.

"There's some good signs," Rubio said. "I don't want to be overly optimistic ... So, let's see what happens over the next few days."

A senior Iranian source told Reuters on Thursday that gaps had been narrowed, although uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz remained among the sticking points.

The war has wreaked havoc on ⁠the global economy, ⁠with the surge in oil prices stoking fears of rampant inflation. About a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas shipments travelled through the Strait of Hormuz before the war.

The US dollar was near its highest level in six weeks on Friday amid the uncertainty over the peace talks, while oil prices climbed as investors doubted the prospects of a breakthrough.

"We're coming to the end of week 12, we're six weeks in the ceasefire, and I'm just not really that convinced we're any closer to a resolution between the US and Iran," Tony Sycamore, a market analyst at IG, said of the Middle East war.

US ⁠President Donald Trump said the US would eventually recover Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium - which Washington believes is destined for a nuclear weapon though Tehran says it is intended purely for peaceful purposes.

"We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it. We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it," Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday.

Two senior Iranian sources told Reuters before Trump's comments that Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei had issued a directive that the uranium should not be sent abroad.

The US president also railed against Tehran's intentions to charge fees on ships using the strait.

"We want it open, we want it free. We don't want tolls," Trump said. "It's an international waterway."

Trump faces domestic pressure ahead of November midterm elections, with Americans angry over the surge in fuel prices and his approval rating near its lowest level since he returned to the White House last year. Tehran submitted its latest offer to ⁠the US earlier this ⁠week.

Tehran's descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.

Traffic through the strait has fallen to a trickle compared with 125 to 140 daily passages before the war. Iran has said it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms that could potentially include fees.

"It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it's a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it's completely illegal," Rubio said.


NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
TT

NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa

NATO's chief Mark Rutte said on Friday he welcomed US President Donald Trump's announcement to send 5,000 troops to Poland, through ‌he added the ‌trend is ‌still ⁠towards a stronger ⁠Europe less reliant on the United States for its defense.

"Let's be clear: ⁠the trajectory we ‌are ‌on - which is ‌a stronger Europe and ‌a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step ‌by step, be less reliant ⁠on ⁠one ally only ... will continue", Rutte told reporters ahead of a NATO meeting in Sweden's Helsingborg.


US Navy Official Says Taiwan Arms Sales on 'Pause' over Iran War

Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
TT

US Navy Official Says Taiwan Arms Sales on 'Pause' over Iran War

Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard
Taiwan-based Thunder Tiger Group's Papa Delta drone is displayed during a media tour in Taichung, Taiwan April 21, 2026. Picture taken with a mobile phone. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard

The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Asked at a congressional hearing about the stalled $14 billion weapons purchase by Taiwan, acting secretary Hung Cao said that "right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty."

"But, we're just making sure we have everything, then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary."

The US State Department and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Cao's remarks, said AFP.

Taiwan's Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo said Friday there was "no information indicating that the US intends to make any adjustments to this arms sale."

US President Donald Trump has not committed to following through with the sale, raising concerns over his commitment to support for Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory.

Ahead of his recent state visit to China, Trump said he would speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the arms sales, a departure from Washington's previous insistence that it will not consult Beijing on the matter.

Afterward, he said he had made no commitments to Xi about Taiwan and would be making a determination on the arms sales "over the next fairly short period of time."

The United States recognizes only Beijing, but under US law is required to provide weapons to the self-ruled democracy for its defense.

China has sworn to take the island and has not ruled out using force, ramping up military pressure in recent years.