Olympic Sponsor Toyota Passes on Games TV Commercials amid Lackluster Support in Japan

A reminder for social distancing is seen at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Main Press Center during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Tokyo, Japan, July 16, 2021. (Reuters)
A reminder for social distancing is seen at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Main Press Center during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Tokyo, Japan, July 16, 2021. (Reuters)
TT

Olympic Sponsor Toyota Passes on Games TV Commercials amid Lackluster Support in Japan

A reminder for social distancing is seen at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Main Press Center during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Tokyo, Japan, July 16, 2021. (Reuters)
A reminder for social distancing is seen at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Main Press Center during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Tokyo, Japan, July 16, 2021. (Reuters)

Tokyo 2020 Olympics sponsor Toyota will not run Games-related TV commercials amid lackluster public support for the Olympics, with two-thirds of Japanese doubting organizers can keep the Games safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a local media poll.

Chief Executive Officer of Toyota Motor Corp, Akio Toyoda, and other executives will not attend the opening ceremony, Toyota said on Monday.

“It is true that Toyota will not be attending the opening ceremony, and the decision was made considering various factors including no spectators,” a spokesperson said.

“We will not be airing any commercials related to the Games in Japan,” she added.

Some 60 Japanese corporations who have paid more than $3 billion for sponsorship rights to the postponed 2020 Olympics now face a dilemma of whether or not to tie their brands to an event that has so far failed to win strong public backing.

With just four days before the opening ceremony in Tokyo, 68% of respondents in an Asahi newspaper poll expressed doubt about the ability of Olympic organizers to control coronavirus infections, with 55% saying they were opposed to the Games going ahead.

Three-quarters of the 1,444 people in the telephone survey said they agreed with a decision to ban spectators from events.

As COVID-19 cases rise in Tokyo, which is under a fourth state of emergency, public concern has grown that hosting an event with tens of thousands of overseas athletes, officials and journalists could accelerate infection rates in Japan’s capital and introduce variants that are more infectious or deadlier.

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach has said he hopes the Japanese public will warm to the Games once competition begins and as Japanese athletes begin winning medals. The Tokyo Olympics run July 23 through Aug. 8.

“We will continue to co-operate and work closely with organizers such as Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Tokyo 2020, and the IOC to ensure we have a safe and secure environment for the Games,” government spokesperson, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said at a regular briefing.

Covid cases
Games officials on Sunday reported the first COVID-19 case among competitors in the athletes’ village in Tokyo where 11,000 athletes are expected stay during the Games. Since July 2, Tokyo 2020 organizers have reported 58 positive cases among athletes, officials and journalists.

Any major outbreak in the village could wreak havoc on competitions because those either infected or isolating would not be able to compete. Olympic officials and individual event organizers have contingency plans to deal with infections among athletes.

A Tokyo 2020 spokesperson said the village was a safe place to stay, adding the infection rate among athletes and other Games-related people visiting Japan was nearly 0.1 pct.

On Sunday six British track and field athletes along with two staff members were forced to isolate after someone on their flight to Japan tested positive for COVID-19.

“Many athletes may have parties or ceremonies before they go to Tokyo where there may be cheering or greeting. So they may also have a risk to get infected in their own countries,” said Koji Wada, a professor at Tokyo’s International University of Health and Welfare and an adviser on the government’s coronavirus response.

The latest surge in cases in Tokyo comes after four earlier waves, the deadliest of which was in January. New COVID-19 cases in Tokyo reached 1,410 on Saturday, the most since the start of the year, with new infections exceeding 1,000 for five straight days.

Most of those new cases are among younger people, as Japan has succeeded in getting most of its vulnerable elderly population vaccinated with at least one shot, although only 32% of the overall population has so far received one.

Other headaches
Olympic organizers on Monday rebuffed calls for the dismissal of Olympic composer Keigo Oyamada for controversial comments he made in the 1990s. Oyamada, who is involved in preparations for the opening ceremony, talked about bullying a disabled classmate in an interview published in a magazine.

Other officials have stepped down in the run up to the Games for inappropriate comments, including former head of Tokyo 2020, Yoshiro Mori, in February and the creative director for the opening and closing ceremonies, Hiroshi Sasaki, in March.

In the political arena, plans for the first in-person summit between Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and South Korean President Moon Jae-in during the Games, were left uncertain over media reports a senior Japanese diplomat made offensive remarks about Moon.

For Tokyo residents, travel on their city’s roads became more difficult on Monday as the city readied for the start of the Olympics with new traffic restrictions, including reserved lanes for Olympic officials, athletes and journalists.

Transport authorities also hiked toll charges by 1,000 yen ($9.08) for private vehicles using the network of elevated expressways that snake through the city in a bid to reduce traffic during the Games.



Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
TT

Guardiola to Step Down after Glittering Decade at Man City

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester City v Brentford - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - May 9, 2026 Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola celebrates after the match REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo

Pep Guardiola announced on Friday that he will leave Manchester City at the end of the season after a trophy-laden decade that transformed English football, AFP reported.

Guardiola guided City to 20 trophies, including six Premier League titles and the club's only Champions League, over the past 10 seasons.

The home match against Aston Villa on Sunday will be his final match in charge although he is set to continue working for the City Football Group as a global ambassador.

"What a time we have had together!" Guardiola said in a club statement.

"Don't ask me the reasons I'm leaving. There is no reason, but deep inside, I know it's my time.

"Nothing is eternal, if it was, I would be here. Eternal will be the feeling, the people, the memories, the love I have for my Manchester City."

News of the Spaniard's impending departure was first reported on Monday.

At that point, the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss was tight-lipped on his future as City missed out on the Premier League title to Arsenal 24 hours later.

Former Chelsea manager Enzo Maresca, who previously worked on Guardiola's staff at City, has been widely reported as the man set to take over at the Etihad.


Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Manchester United have appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager on a contract until 2028, the Premier League club said on Friday, rewarding the former midfielder for the club's turnaround in fortunes in less than half a season.

The 44-year-old Englishman has guided United to 11 victories in 16 matches, including wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, to climb to third in the Premier League and seal a berth in next season's Champions League.

"From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride," Reuters quoted Carrick as saying in ⁠a statement.

"Throughout the ⁠past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.

"Now it's time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose."

Initially appointed on an interim basis to replace Ruben Amorim, the former United midfielder has exceeded expectations and transformed the mood around Old Trafford, with the club's players backing ⁠him for the job.

Carrick, who served as caretaker manager in 2021 following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal, made 464 appearances for United across all competitions, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

His managerial experience includes a mixed stint at second-tier club Middlesbrough, where he initially did well after joining in October 2022 with the Championship side languishing in 21st place.

Carrick quickly turned things around, guiding them to a fourth-placed finish and the playoffs in his first season and they reached the League Cup semi-finals the following campaign.

However, Middlesbrough failed to earn promotion as they finished eighth and 10th in his last two seasons, leading to ⁠his dismissal in ⁠June last year.

United, who have 68 points, are guaranteed to finish third with a game to spare, ending their campaign with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday.

"Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men's team," Jason Wilcox, the club's director of football, said.

"In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club's values, traditions and history.

"Michael's achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build."


Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
TT

Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon

Alvaro Arbeloa confirmed Friday he would leave his role as Real Madrid coach at the end of a trophyless season.

"Yes," Arbeloa said at a press conference when asked to confirm that he would not be coaching the team next season, amid widespread reports that veteran manager Jose Mourinho is returning to the club.

Los Blancos host Athletic Bilbao on Saturday at the Santiago Bernabeu in their final La Liga match of a turbulent campaign.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez appointed Arbeloa to replace Xabi Alonso in January and he is set to be replaced himself by Portuguese veteran Mourinho.

Spaniard Arbeloa said he would not work as a member of Mourinho's staff if the Portuguese coach is appointed as his successor.

"Mou has a fantastic technical team, he's got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team," said Arbeloa.

"There's no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future... from Monday I'll think about that."

Arbeloa, who played at Madrid between 2009-2016 and later coached there at youth level said he hoped this match was a "see you later" rather than goodbye.

"I hope it's a see you later... I've always considered this my home, I've belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles," said Arbeloa.

"It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid, I don't know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.

"We never know. I'll try and enjoy it and try to get the win."