Saudi Arabia Says Held 4 Rounds of ‘Exploratory’ Talks with Iran

Prince Fasial and Borrell meet in Riyadh. (SPA)
Prince Fasial and Borrell meet in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Says Held 4 Rounds of ‘Exploratory’ Talks with Iran

Prince Fasial and Borrell meet in Riyadh. (SPA)
Prince Fasial and Borrell meet in Riyadh. (SPA)

Saudi Arabia has held four rounds of “exploratory” talks with Iran, the last of which was held in September, revealed Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan after meeting with European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell in Riyadh on Sunday.

Speaking at a press conference after their meeting, Prince Faisal hoped the exploratory talks would set the foundation to address pending issues.

“The fourth round was held on September 21 and they are still in the exploratory phase,” he said in response to question by Asharq Al-Awsat about the seriousness of Iran at these meetings.

On Yemen, Prince Faisal warned the Iran-backed Houthi militias against hoping to reach a military solution the country’s conflict.

He said Saudi Arabia and the United States are engaged in comprehensive dialogue to reach a ceasefire in the war-torn country.

The only way to reach that is for the Houthis to stop their attacks on the Marib province and Saudi Arabia, he stressed.

He noted that there are no obstacles to reaching a ceasefire, explaining that Sanaa airport is open to all humanitarian flights and Hodeidah port is open to trade ships.

For his part, Borrell, in responding to a question by Asharq Al-Awsat, said the EU “understands” the fears of the Gulf over nuclear security and the importance of security in the Middle East and world.

He hoped negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program would resume soon in Vienna. He revealed that he had held talks with the Iranian foreign minister to that end on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly last month.

He said Iran “needed time”, while the participants at the talks were worried about the delay. Borrell said the opportunity must be seized and the Iranians must immediately return to the talks.

He added that he realizes the importance the impact the talks will have on the region, especially Saudi Arabia.

Turning to climate affairs, he said: “I am happy that we managed to launch dialogue between the European Union and Saudi Arabia on energy, where we look at common points between our Green Deal and the Saudi Vision 2030 when it comes to renewable energy, emission reduction and carbon capture.”

“I strongly believe that Saudi Arabia can and should lead by example in the Gulf and the wider region on these issues. Together we can make a difference for the world’s climate, especially in light of the upcoming climate summit COP26.”

Borrell also met during his visit to the Kingdom with Gulf Cooperation Council Secretary-General Nayef al-Hajraf.

“We are currently discussing possibilities to step up dialogue and cooperation between the two regional blocks,” he told reporters.

“We already had a ministerial meeting last week in New York and I informed my partners about the intention to convene a Joint Cooperation council early next year, because this Joint Cooperation Council has not been meeting since the last six years and this is something that has to be amended,” he continued.

“We are ready to resume negotiations of a modern, comprehensive Free Trade Agreement with the Gulf Cooperation Council,” he stressed.

Borrell also condemned the attacks launched by the Houthis against Saudi Arabia.

He said the EU is aware that the Kingdom is suffering from ballistic missile attacks launched by the Houthis, stating that the bloc is aware of who is supplying the militias with these weapons.

He stressed that the EU is dedicating all of its diplomatic and political efforts so that the Houthis realize that there can be no other solution to the conflict.

The war cannot end through a military solution, but through negotiations, he added, while strongly condemning the Houthi attacks against the Kingdom that he said violate all international laws and norms.

Prince Faisal and Borrell signed a Cooperation Arrangement between the EU External Action Service and Saudi Foreign Ministry to “reinforce our ties through regular consultations on political, socio-economic, security and other topics,” tweeted the European official.

Borrell also met on his trip with State Minister for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir and UN envoy to Yemen Hans Grundberg.



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.