UNIFIL Demands Perpetrators of Attacks Against its Forces in S. Lebanon Be Put on Trial

Guterres meets with UNIFIL troops during his visit to Lebanon this week. (Twitter)
Guterres meets with UNIFIL troops during his visit to Lebanon this week. (Twitter)
TT

UNIFIL Demands Perpetrators of Attacks Against its Forces in S. Lebanon Be Put on Trial

Guterres meets with UNIFIL troops during his visit to Lebanon this week. (Twitter)
Guterres meets with UNIFIL troops during his visit to Lebanon this week. (Twitter)

The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) demanded that the perpetrators behind Wednesday's attack on its Irish contingent be put on trial.

This was the first time since 2006 that the peacekeeping force, deployed in southern Lebanon, uses such a firm tone in dealing with attacks its troops occasionally come under as they carry out their duties.

In a statement, UNIFIL said Wednesday's incident was "unacceptable" and a "violation" of the agreement signed by Lebanon.

The perpetrators must be brought to justice, it urged, amid speculation that the attack was aimed at delivering a political message from Hezbollah towards the international community.

The attack had notably taken place as UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was concluding a four-day trip to Lebanon. Guterres had toured the UNIFIL headquarters during his trip.

Guterres had angered the Iran-backed party when he suggested during an exclusive interview with Asharq Al-Awsat that Hezbollah be transformed into a political party like others in Lebanon.

Wednesday's incident unfolded when some youths in the southern town of Shakra protested against UNIFIL members taking photos on their phone of some locations in the town, said witnesses.

The UNIFIL patrol was driving in one of the town's neighborhoods without a Lebanese army escort.

Residents surrounded the patrol and attacked its vehicles after one of the UN troops was seen taking the photos.

Field sources said that as the patrol attempted to leave the area, it struck two youths and two vehicles, forcing the residents to again surround the troops and prevent them from leaving. They then attacked the patrol with sticks and stones before Lebanese soldiers arrived at the scene and evacuated the UN forces.

Military sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that contacts were made at the highest levels to contain the incident and prevent similar ones from happening again in the future.

This is not the first time that such attacks take place. They often happen when UNIFIL patrols veer off their normal patrol paths and enter neighborhoods, leading locals to confront them.

This is the first time, however, that UNIFIL uses firm rhetoric in addressing these attacks, describing Wednesday's incident as "dangerous".

Deputy Director of UNIFIL's Media Office Candice Ardell told the National News Agency that depriving the UN troops of freedom of movement and attacking those who serve peace is unacceptable.

She referred to remarks by Guterres a day earlier in which he stressed that UNIFIL enjoys complete freedom to access areas that fall within its areas of operations in line with the agreement between it and the Lebanese government and UN Security Council resolution 1701.

UNIFIL and Lebanese authorities are probing Wednesday's attack.

The attack took place amid growing calls for the implementation of international resolutions related to Lebanon, including 1559 that demands limiting the possession of arms in the country to the state.

Residents of the South have also reported that UNIFIL has recently increased its patrols in the region after its movements were restricted to specific streets and areas.

The Foreign Ministry said Prime Minister Najib Mikati had contacted Foreign Minister Abdullah Bou Habib to discuss the incident.

In a statement, it said it regretted the attack and was awaiting the results of the probe. It stressed that it rejects any form of attack against UNIFIL troops, reiterating Lebanon's commitment to international resolutions, especially 1701.

Political researcher Ali al-Amin said Wednesday's attack was a "strong message" from Hezbollah to the international forces amid mounting calls for the implementation of international resolutions and American pressure to amend UNIFIL's mandate and expand its duties.

UNIFIL's mandate is renewed in August of every year.

Amin said Hezbollah is demanding that the situation in the South remain as it is, meaning the international troops' duties should be limited to what they are right now and not decided by international resolutions.

In other words, the party opposes amending UNIFIL's mission and expanding its mission.

Amin, a critic of Hezbollah, added that such a message does not come from a position of power by the party, but rather of weakness because it is "confused" over the regional scene and talks of a settlement in Syria.

Moreover, he remarked that the party wanted to create a crisis after Wednesday's attack instead of avoiding its circulation in the media "because it wants its message to reach the UN and international community" and inform them that UNIFIL operates in Hezbollah's area of operations.

Amin noted, however, that the incident was criticized on social media because the residents of the South believe that the international troops bring stability to their region.

The UNIFIL deployment assures the locals against any potential war and their presence in the South is the last remaining international cover provided to Lebanon amid mounting crises it is enduring, he explained.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.