Iranian Foreign Ministry: Riyadh-Tehran Agreement to Foster Region’s Stability

The Director of the Office of the Central Foreign Affairs Commission of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Wang Yi (center) between heads of the negotiation delegations Saudi Dr. Musaad al-Aiban and Iranian Ali Shamkhani after signing the agreement in Beijing last week. (Reuters)
The Director of the Office of the Central Foreign Affairs Commission of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Wang Yi (center) between heads of the negotiation delegations Saudi Dr. Musaad al-Aiban and Iranian Ali Shamkhani after signing the agreement in Beijing last week. (Reuters)
TT

Iranian Foreign Ministry: Riyadh-Tehran Agreement to Foster Region’s Stability

The Director of the Office of the Central Foreign Affairs Commission of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Wang Yi (center) between heads of the negotiation delegations Saudi Dr. Musaad al-Aiban and Iranian Ali Shamkhani after signing the agreement in Beijing last week. (Reuters)
The Director of the Office of the Central Foreign Affairs Commission of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Wang Yi (center) between heads of the negotiation delegations Saudi Dr. Musaad al-Aiban and Iranian Ali Shamkhani after signing the agreement in Beijing last week. (Reuters)

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said that the agreement between Saudi Arabia and Iran could foster regional stability.

He made his remarks hours ahead of top security official Ali Shamkhani’s visit to Iraq, which is his second regional visit since Saudi Arabia and Iran signed an agreement to reestablish diplomatic ties.

He termed the agreement “one of the most important events in the Iranian year which ends Tuesday in the neighboring area,” Kanaani wrote in an article published on the website of IRNA.

“The agreement will play a key role in convergence and further cooperation among the regional countries,” he added.

Kanaani confirmed that the Islamic Republic is aware of the role and efficiency of Saudi Arabia in the Islamic world, and that Iran has never overlooked the Kingdom’s role and position.

The spokesman added that the agreement to resume ties could lay the foundation for “a new approach and a growing role in serving the interests of the region’s countries and people”.

He stressed that the continuation of disputes among neighboring countries in this region and creating crises will only benefit the interests of transregional powers.

Moreover, he blamed “foreign interferences” for “long years of misunderstanding, crises, instability, and destructive wears in the region”, stressing that “it is time to resolve the current disputes”.

The article of Kanaani follows a tweet posted by Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian to implicitly respond to some questions on assigning Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary Ali Shamkhani to handle negotiations with the neighboring countries, especially following his visit to the UAE.

Amirabdollahian confirmed that Shamkhani would soon visit Iraq.

The FM asserted that Shamkhani's visits to the UAE and Iraq were carried out within the framework of security relations.

He further stressed that all parties are in coordination regarding Iran’s foreign policy under the supervision of the Iranian President.

In a related context, IRNA published new details about Shamkhani’s visit to Baghdad.

It reported that he will visit Iraq soon to discuss security challenges as well as economic and banking issues that are key to helping Iran and Iraq maintain trade ties worth more than $10 billion per year.

An informed source in the government said a key issue on the Iranian official’s agenda in Iraq is to sign a memorandum of understanding on border security, Iraqi local news agency Shafaq News reported.

Shamkhani will meet with Iraqi President Abdul Latif Rashid, Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudan, and Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi.

He is expected to hold consultations with Masrour Barzani, the prime minister of the Kurdish Regional Government (KRG), and his Iraqi counterpart, Qasim al-Araji, during the visit.

Meanwhile, two Iranian deputies revealed in press statements that the stalled nuclear talks could be resumed in the coming days.

Deputy Director General and head of the Safeguards Department of the UN nuclear agency Massimo Aparo will visit Tehran for talks with Iranian officials, chairing a team from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

The discussions would cover discovering traces of undeclared uranium at three Iranian sites and the origin of uranium particles enriched to up to 83.7 percent purity at the Fordow enrichment plant.

Meanwhile, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell called on Iran, in a phone call with the Foreign Minister, to speed up the implementation of the agreement between Tehran and the IAEA.

“We request Iran to change its behavior: respect human rights, end detention of EU citizens, stop its military support for Russia,” the tweet read.

A current member of parliament's national security and foreign policy, Jalil Rahimabadi expected a breakthrough in the nuclear talks in the coming months since the latest report by the international agency lacked challenges, and the western parties are convinced that dialogue is the best way to resolve the Iranian nuclear crisis.

Another member Shahriyar Heidari said that “restoring ties with Saudi Arabia would lead to results in the nuclear deal”.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.