Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
TT

Türkiye Renews Rejection of Preconditions for Normalizing Ties with Syria

A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)
A vegetable market in Idlib, northwestern Syria, on April 12 (AFP)

Türkiye renewed its rejection of any preconditions for normalizing its relations with Syria, including a demand to withdraw its forces from northern Syria.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stressed that his country would not accept any preconditions for direct talks with the Syrian government, including withdrawing its forces.

Cavusoglu said in a televised interview that his country would not accept the withdrawal of its forces while the Kurdish forces accused of "terrorism" remain in northeastern Syria.

He added that the Syrian regime demanded Türkiye to withdraw from Syrian territory. "We will not accept the condition of withdrawing from Syrian territory to negotiate," he said to the media, citing threats to his country in Syria.

Syria focuses on three main points: the need to end the Turkish presence on Syrian territory, non-interference in Syrian internal affairs, and combat terrorism in all its forms.

Türkiye confirms that its military presence in northern Syria is a guarantee to deter threats from the Kurdish militants and does not believe the Syrian regime can currently control the borders.

Cavusoglu said: "Further contacts with Syria are possible, but there is still work to be done. And we will not accept any preconditions."

He stressed the need to work with President Bashar Assad's regime to ensure the safe return of Syrian refugees to their country.

Damascus repeatedly announced that withdrawing Turkish forces from northern Syria is a condition for any negotiations to normalize relations or a meeting between the two countries' presidents.

Recent developments and the resumption of talks at the level of deputy foreign ministers of Türkiye, Syria, Russia, and Iran in Moscow earlier in April showed there is an agreement to maintain the talks and deal with the issues on its agenda.

Cavusoglu stated that Ankara "received information from the Russian side about the possibility of holding a meeting of the four countries' foreign ministers in early May" and was continuing contacts with Moscow on this issue.

Negotiations with Egypt

The Syrian issue was essential to the talks between Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry and Cavusoglu in Ankara.

Shoukry stressed, in a joint press conference, that Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity should be preserved, asserting that all foreign forces must withdraw from Syrian territory.

In turn, Cavusoglu reaffirmed Türkiye's longstanding position that its military presence was needed to fight "terrorism" and threats coming from Syrian territory.

"We must make sure that there is no threat to us from there," Cavusoglu said.

Bringing about permanent peace and stability in Syria is important to both Türkiye and Egypt, said Cavusoglu, adding that the two countries have agreed to work closely and exchange views.

Several Arab countries began accelerating rapprochement efforts with Damascus. Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal al-Miqdad visited Cairo and then Jeddah, in the first visits by a Syrian official at this level in more than ten years.

Türkiye is seeking to hold a meeting between its President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, with Russian and Iranian support.

However, Assad announced that the Turkish withdrawal from Syrian territory is a precondition for any meetings.

Turkish sources familiar with the matter revealed that Ankara is communicating with countries that have begun normalizing relations with Damascus.

Criticism of France

Cavusoglu criticized the French Senate for hosting the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) members, the largest component of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).

Ankara considers the SDF an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

He said that the PKK is on the EU's list of terrorist organizations, adding that it is hypocritical when they call them terrorists and support them.

Cavusoglu commented on Türkiye's closure of its airspace with Sulaymaniyah, stressing that the city is under the control of the PKK and it uses the city's airport for its transportation.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.