Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan: Salah is a Brother. He is a Role Model for Me and All Egyptians

Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan. (Getty Images)
Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan. (Getty Images)
TT

Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan: Salah is a Brother. He is a Role Model for Me and All Egyptians

Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan. (Getty Images)
Ahmed ‘Kouka’ Hassan. (Getty Images)

Ahmed Hassan has made a career out of bouncing back from disappointment and this summer he hopes to use those negative experiences to inspire Egypt – the hosts and favorites – to Africa Cup of Nations glory.

The Braga striker, affectionately known as Kouka due to a childhood love of Coca-Cola, was in a very different position last summer when he was surprisingly cut from Egypt’s World Cup squad by then manager, Héctor Cúper, despite being part of the group throughout qualification and his close friend Mohamed Salah struggling with the shoulder injury the Liverpool man had sustained in the Champions League final.

“I felt injustice because I was with them and the coach from the first camp and I was always fighting for my country, if I was put in I always fought to do my best,” Kouka says now. “I felt it was unfair because of all this. I was not expecting it but it’s the coach’s choice and I could do nothing about it.

“It didn’t take me down. It gives me motivation to work harder and to improve and thankfully I got the move to Olympiakos and had a good season. This tournament is very important for me and my country and it’s important I do well for myself and Egypt.”

Kouka had to watch from afar as his compatriots were dumped out in Russia without earning a point and scoring only twice in three group games. The 26-year‑old will operate as his country’s central striker ahead of the wingers Salah and Trézéguet, as Egypt’s expectations increase daily going into Afcon, which began on Friday with Egypt defeating Zimbabwe 1-0. He is coming off the back of an impressive season on loan at Olympiakos, where he scored 13 goals in 26 appearances.

“We know that it’s a big tournament for Egypt and all African national teams. For us it is special as we are playing at home in front of our people. We know that it is going to be very tough but we will prepare and try to work very hard to make good things and hopefully win it for our people.

“In Egypt we take football very seriously. We don’t have many rich people; our people are simple. Football is what they live for in a crazy way. I think they love it more than any other country. I was in Greece last year and I know they are crazy, too, but in Egypt they take it very seriously. They wait for any win, so they can go into the streets to celebrate and be happy.”

Missing out on Russia 2018 was comparatively minor to when a move to Benfica fell through in 2015 after a heart condition was detected in Kouka’s medical. The death of the striker Miklos Feher, who had a cardiac arrest during a match in 2004, was still at the forefront of the Portuguese club’s mind and they did not want to proceed.

“I got diagnosed with a really small thing which I had from birth,” Kouka says, playing it down, “so I had to have an operation at the time and Benfica had had a problem with a player who died on the pitch. So that is why they were concerned and we did not go forward with it but it was nothing serious. It was a small surgery and everything was normal and after that I signed with Braga and everything is fine in my life.”

The reason Benfica had sought to sign the striker was his form for Rio Ave, where he netted 24 goals in 66 league games after arriving in Portugal as a teenager from Egypt. “It is a different feeling when you get an offer from a big team and it’s always been a dream of mine to play for one of the big teams in Europe and shows you’ve done something good. But I am never satisfied and this is something normal in a footballer who wants to reach the top. I always want more. I want to reach higher.”

If advice is ever needed on a move to a big club, he can turn to a close friend. “Salah for me is a brother, because I’ve known him since we were kids as we were always together in the national teams under-16, 17 until the first team, so I know him very well. He is a very humble guy, a role model for me and all Egyptians. It is a great feeling to play with one of the best players in the world right now.”

The impact of Salah on Egyptian and African football is evident. When the Liverpool forward was recently holidaying in his homeland he was forced to complain about the large press presence outside his home, meaning he could not leave. Kouka says: “Who doesn’t support Liverpool in Egypt? I do not know. Whoever Liverpool are playing, whether it’s Manchester United or Barcelona, everyone is supporting Liverpool for Salah. He is one of us.”

Kouka would not mind joining Salah in the Premier League and a strong showing in Afcon could help him achieve his ambition. “It has always been my dream to play at the top level and the Premier League is the top. It’s the best league in the world for me, as well as Spain. It’s always a dream for me to play in one of those leagues. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? Maybe I will get to live that dream.”

The Guardian Sport



French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”


Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
TT

Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo

Jannik Sinner and Novak Djokovic will not be able to meet until the French Open final after the pair were placed in opposite halves of the draw on Thursday.

Sinner, the red-hot title favourite in the absence of injured rival Carlos Alcaraz, will start his bid for a maiden Roland Garros crown against French wildcard Clement Tabur, the world number 165.

World number one Sinner is slated to meet big-hitting American fifth seed Ben Shelton in the quarter-finals.

Daniil Medvedev is a possible semi-final opponent for the Italian, AFP reported.

The Russian gave Sinner a rare scare in the Italian Open semis earlier this month before eventually succumbing in three sets.

Djokovic will kick off his latest tilt at a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title against home player Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard.

Second seed Alexander Zverev is a potential semi-final opponent for Djokovic.

The German has played Djokovic twice before at Roland Garros, suffering quarter-final defeats against the Serb in 2019 and last year.

The stand-out first-round tie sees in-form French number one Arthur Fils take on former champion Stan Wawrinka, featuring at the tournament for the last time before retirement.

 

 

 

 


Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia has retained its top position in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) club rankings, according to the latest update for the 2025–2026 season.

The Kingdom leads the standings with 132.545 points, followed by Japan in second place with 120.410 points, and South Korea in third with 87.334 points.

This marks the sixth consecutive year Saudi Arabia has topped the AFC rankings, reflecting the strong performances of Saudi clubs in continental competitions and their consistent competitiveness in Asian tournaments.