Ben Chilwell: 'We Feel We Can’t Really Lose, Which Is Great if You Also Work Hard'

 Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
TT

Ben Chilwell: 'We Feel We Can’t Really Lose, Which Is Great if You Also Work Hard'

 Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images
Ben Chilwell says Chelsea’s manager, Frank Lampard, ‘makes sure the standards don’t slip’. Photograph: Marc Atkins/Getty Images

Ben Chilwell puffs out his cheeks. It briefly seems that the task of identifying the best crosser at Chelsea has stumped him. “There’s a few,” he says, pausing for a moment. “I’d like to say I’m a good crosser but then you’ve got Hakim Ziyech and Reece James. I don’t want to miss anyone out but they’re the two who jump out. Hakim’s left foot is brilliant.”

Despite some gentle nudging, Chilwell resists putting himself top. Modesty comes first, even though the left-back has given Chelsea a new attacking dimension with his pinpoint deliveries since his £45m move from Leicester last summer. Comfortable in his surroundings, Chilwell is following Frank Lampard’s instructions impeccably, combining defensive duties with supporting the attack with energy and quality.

“The fact he likes our full-backs to be high and wide suits me,” Chilwell says. “I had to make sure defending was my priority. But the fact as full-backs we go forward was part of why I wanted to come. You’ve just got to make sure your deliveries are good and the strikers will do the rest. We work a lot on it in training, wide players getting crosses in.”

It is an insight into Chelsea’s approach under Lampard. After struggling to break down negative sides last season, they have been crushing opponents in recent weeks and are two points off the Premier League summit before visiting Everton on Saturday evening. Although Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Ziyech are eye-catching additions in attack, the freedom Lampard’s full-backs enjoy has played a big part in Chelsea’s improvement in the final third.

Chilwell has been in flying form. After missing the start of the season with a heel injury, he dazzled on his first start, scoring the opener in Chelsea’s 4-0 win against Crystal Palace in October and creating a goal for Kurt Zouma with a lovely cross. He keeps arriving in dangerous positions and scored again last month in the win against Sheffield United after meeting a Ziyech cross.

Opposition wingers are forced back. The threat also comes from right-back, with James crossing for Olivier Giroud to equalize in the win against Leeds last week. “I knew how good Reece was before I came here but I just wanted to say how much he’s surprised me,” Chilwell says. “He’s unbelievable, especially for 20 years old. He’s a brilliant player. He’s powerful but quick with it. He’s very difficult to play against because of how physical he likes to be against his opponents.”

Ben Chilwell, pictured in action against Leeds, says: ‘Over the last five or 10 years full-backs have become a massive part of a team.’

Full-backs have grown in importance in recent years. With Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold crucial to Liverpool’s success, it is no wonder Lampard has given responsibility to Chilwell and James. “Fifteen years ago it was more about the full-back staying back,” Chilwell says. “Over the last five or 10 years full-backs have become a massive part of a team, getting forward and creating chances.”

Some doubted that Chilwell, who names Ashley Cole and Real Madrid’s Marcelo as inspirations, was right for Chelsea. Yet it is obvious why Lampard, who needed to strengthen a leaky defense, did not hesitate to sign the England international. Sharp in the tackle and not easily outpaced, Chilwell has been influential in Chelsea stiffening up at the back.

He could have gone down a different path, though. “I was a central midfielder until I was about 12 and I went on trial at Leicester against Chelsea,” he says. “The left-back got injured on the day so I started off in center-mid and then filled in for him. After that I stayed there.”

Chilwell thinks about talk of his England colleague, Alexander-Arnold revolutionizing the role of full-back. “It’s been redefined loads over the last 10 years,” he says. “It’s probably going to keep progressing. Trent, myself and other younger players will hopefully be in the game for the next 10 years and if we model the game for the next generation then that’s a positive.”

Chilwell knows he is in a position of responsibility. The tone changes when we discuss Chelsea’s Say No To Antisemitism campaign. In the latest initiative the club have teamed up with Solomon Souza, a British Israeli street artist, to launch 49 Flames, an exhibition about Jewish athletes who died during the Holocaust.

“I didn’t ever think that there would have been athletes and world champions in their individual sports, talented, famous people, who were also killed,” Chilwell says. “That was the eye-opening bit. What happened to everyone was horrible but I never really thought that there were people in a similar position to me who were also involved.”

Chilwell has also tackled mental health issues. He struggled with confidence when his form for Leicester dipped during the middle of last season. “It’s important that people talk,” he says. “With coronavirus it’s pretty difficult for a lot of people. I knew using my voice could help other people.”

Speaking to a sports psychologist at Leicester helped Chilwell’s performances improve. But there have been other challenges. He missed England’s September internationals because of injury, then sat out games against Belgium and Wales in October after breaching Covid-19 regulations by attending a party with Tammy Abraham and Jadon Sancho.

Short of alternatives to Chilwell at left-back, Gareth Southgate switched to a back three. Yet Chilwell, who started at left wing-back in England’s defeat by Belgium last month, believes he can flourish in a 3-4-3 formation. “Wing-back, full-back, they both suit me. They bring out different parts of my game but I’ve played both for Chelsea.”

Chilwell feels good. He buzzes about his first conversation with Lampard, saying they hit it off straight away. Team spirit is strong. Chilwell knew Mason Mount and Abraham from England duty and has built a strong relationship with Werner. “We play on the same side of the pitch and it’s important we get on,” Chilwell says. “He’s a funny, laid-back guy. He doesn’t really seem fazed. You never see him get angry away from football.”

Unbeaten in 17 games in all competitions, Chelsea are emerging as title contenders. “We’re not looking that far ahead,” Chilwell says. “What I’m finding quite interesting is the confidence of the group. There doesn’t seem to be any drop off at any stage and hopefully that will continue for the rest of the season because we have a great squad. The positive thing is we don’t get carried away.

“When we won the league with Leicester in 2016, when I was fortunate enough to be in the squad at 18 or 19 years old, what I found was that the boys were going into every game confident they were going to win. At the moment with Chelsea that’s what the group feels like.

“When we go into matches we feel like we can’t really lose at the moment, which is a great thing to have as long as you work hard with it. I knew the expectations are to win titles and trophies. That’s the reason I wanted to come. I’m 23 years old and it was important to come to a club where hopefully I can win stuff. The manager makes sure the standards don’t slip. We all see how hard he works and it rubs off on us.”

The Guardian Sport



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.