Sisi Says Egypt Aims to Rationalize Water Consumption

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
TT

Sisi Says Egypt Aims to Rationalize Water Consumption

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi during the inauguration of Bahr El Baqar wastewater treatment plant (Egyptian Presidency)

President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi has said that the government aims to rationalize water consumption in Egypt despite stressing that the country’s water share from the Nile River will not decline.

Egypt is in conflict with Addis Ababa over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) it is building on the main tributary of the Nile.

Cairo fears that the dam will damage its limited share of the Nile water of about 55.5 billion cubic meters. The country needs more than 90 percent for its drinking water supply, irrigation for agriculture, and industry.

Sisi inaugurated Bahr el-Baqar wastewater treatment plant, the largest of its kind worldwide with a daily production capacity of 5.6 million cubic meters.

The triple-treated water will be transferred to North Sinai to contribute to the reclamation of agricultural land within the framework of the national project for the development of Sinai and to support making the best use of the state's water resources.

The President stressed that his country is working to preserve its water resources due to its scarcity.

Sisi said that the reclamation of 500,000 feddans in Sinai had cost LE150-160 billion acquired through loans, which is crucial to maintain existing canals and Nile mainstream.

The President warned that the punishment to individuals, who commit encroachments, would include the withdrawal of any subsidies they get, and that even applies to subsidized bread and staples.

He further added, "encroachments will not just be removed. They will be removed at the expense of violators,” setting a six-month ultimatum.

"We must improve the quality and efficiency of irrigation systems," asserted Sisi, stressing that developing the agricultural sector leads to self-sufficiency and reduces imports.

Farmers can't afford the cost to improve the canals, and the government aims to improve water access to agricultural lands so that production does not decrease and farmers lose, asserted Sisi.

The President warned that wasting water leads to the waste of agricultural land and reducing arable land.

Egypt and Sudan have been negotiating with Ethiopia for ten years to reach an agreement on the Renaissance Dam without any result.

The UN Security Council called on the three countries to resume negotiations under the auspices of the African Union (AU), stressing in a presidential statement the need to reach a binding agreement acceptable to all and within a reasonable timetable.

Egypt, along with Sudan, wants to conclude a binding legal agreement regulating the filling and operation of the dam, despite Ethiopia’s rejection.

On Monday, Egypt's Foreign Minister, Sameh Shoukry, described an Ethiopian negotiator's remarks about reaching an agreement on GERD as "evasive."

"Such Ethiopian statements are a continuation of fallacies, prevarication, and lack of credibility, which does not bode well for the existence of a political will to reach an agreement," Shoukry said.

Earlier on Saturday, a member of the Ethiopian negotiating team on the dam, Ibrahim Idris, said his country "will not accept a settlement that goes against its national interests in any form."

"If Ethiopia signs an agreement with Egypt and Sudan, this will only happen when national interests and the future development of water resources are secured," he added.

Shoukry explained that the meeting with the UN Secretary-General understood Egypt's stance regarding GERD and that the Security Council stressed the importance of reaching a binding solution on the dam.



Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
TT

Iraq’s Nujaba Movement Warns against ‘US Plot’ to Integrate PMF in New Security Ministry

Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)
Slain Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei (R) and Nujaba Movement leader Akram al-Kaabi in Tehran in December 2018. (Supreme leader’s website)

The Iran-aligned Nujaba Movement in Iraq warned on Saturday against an “American plot” to merge the pro-Iran Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) in state institutions, presenting new Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi with his first test in imposing state monopoly over arms.

It made its warning in wake of a visit to Iraq earlier this week by former US Central Command Commander David Petraeus, who also previously led US forces stationed in Iraq.

The new Iraqi government appears to be a taking a tougher stance against the Iran-aligned armed factions in the country in wake of attacks launched from Iraq against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

Riyadh and Abu Dhabi have said the attacks were launched from Iraqi territory. Zaidi has slammed the attacks as “criminal acts”.

Spokesperson for the Commander-in-Chief of the Iraqi Armed Forces Sabah al-Numan said the committee probing the attacks will cooperate with Riyadh and Abu Dhabi to uncover the perpetrators.

“The official statements are not up for debate: the security of our brothers is a read line and there can be no replacing the rule of law,” he said in statements carried by the official state news agency INA.

Any party found responsible for the attacks will face judicial and military measures, he vowed, adding that the attacks were a “threat to Iraq’s national security and flagrant violation of its sovereignty”.

On the state monopoly over arms, al-Numan said the decision “is not a mere political slogan, but a security strategy that must be implemented.”

“The success of the government will be measured by how much it establishes itself as the sole party that holds power over weapons,” he stressed.

Prominent armed factions, such as the Kataib Hezbollah and Kataib Sayyid al-Shuhada, have not made any statements over the recent developments.

The Nujaba Movement, however, has openly defied the state’s decision to impose monopoly over weapons.

The party, which is seen as the most hardline, has also rejected attempts to restructure the PMF.

Deputy head of the movement’s executive council Hussein al-Saeedi said: “The resistance’s weapons are not open to compromise.”

“Stripping the factions of their weapons will leave society exposed to the ongoing threats,” he declared from Basra.

He also slammed as an “American plot” the alleged plan to merge the PMF with the federal police and other forces as part of a new “federal security ministry”.

He said such efforts are “futile” and “impossible to execute”, warning that insisting on forging ahead with the plan will have “political and popular implications.”


10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

10,000 Kurds Apply for Syrian Citizenship

Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)
Syrian Kurds demonstrate to mark Kurdish Language Day, demanding constitutional recognition of the Kurdish language by the Syrian government, in Qamishli, Syria, May 14, 2026. (Reuters)

Damascus announced on Saturday that it has received over 10,000 applications for Syrian citizenship from Kurds in wake of a recent decree that preserves their rights in the country.

The Interior Ministry said it received applications for citizenship from 2,892 families and 10,516 individuals.

The majority of the applications were filed in the northeastern Hasakeh region, followed by Aleppo, Raqqa, then Deir Ezzor.

Authorities began receiving applications for citizenship from the Kurds on April 6. A May 7 deadline for receiving applications was extended to allow people more time to complete their official procedures ahead of applying.

Receiving the application is the first step towards citizenship. It will be followed by interviews with applicants to verify their documents and eligibility. The final step culminates in receiving citizenship and a document that allows them to enjoy all of their civilian rights.

The process covers all Kurds who do not have an identification document in Syria, as well as expatriates.


Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
TT

Lebanon Civil Defense Says Israeli Strike Destroys its Nabatieh Facility

Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli strike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Kfar Tibnit on May 21, 2026. (Photo by Abbas FAKIH / AFP)

Lebanon's civil defense agency said early on Sunday its regional facility in the southern city of Nabatieh had been destroyed by an Israeli strike.

The Directorate General of Civil Defense said the building had collapsed and a large number of vehicles and equipment had been damaged by a "direct hit in a hostile Israeli strike".

It added there were no reports of casualties among its personnel, who had been moved to another location before the incident, said AFP.

The civil defense agency condemned "this attack on a center dedicated to humanitarian and relief work", stressing that it was facing "growing risks and challenges" in carrying out its operations.

Israeli strikes in Lebanon have continued despite a truce that came into effect on April 17, with Israel saying it is targeting Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Lebanon's health ministry has recorded the deaths of 123 rescuers and health workers in Israeli strikes since the country was drawn into the wider regional war on March 2 when Hezbollah launched rockets at Israel in retaliation for the death of Iran's supreme leader in US-Israeli strikes.