Sisi’s Calls For Dialogue Receive Wide Welcome In Egypt

President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi during a meeting held Thursday with newspaper editors and talk show hosts (Egyptian Presidency)
President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi during a meeting held Thursday with newspaper editors and talk show hosts (Egyptian Presidency)
TT
20

Sisi’s Calls For Dialogue Receive Wide Welcome In Egypt

President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi during a meeting held Thursday with newspaper editors and talk show hosts (Egyptian Presidency)
President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi during a meeting held Thursday with newspaper editors and talk show hosts (Egyptian Presidency)

Political and media circles in Egypt welcomed Friday President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi’s call for a political dialogue among the country’s political forces.

At a meeting held a day earlier with journalists and talk show hosts, the Egyptian President said his country needs a comprehensive political dialogue compatible with the notion of building or launching the new republic.

Journalist Emad El-Din Hussein, editor-in-chief of Al-Shorouk newspaper, told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sisi’s invitation for dialogue reveals that the Egyptian state is now consolidated and strong and that any future development requires cooperation between the country’s forces at several levels, including the need to hold a political dialogue.

Hussein, who attended the meeting with the president, said Sisi’s speech also aims to tackle a new and different future for Egypt through holding a joint dialogue between parties, civil society, and political forces within the framework of the new republic.

Also, Atef Maghawry, a member of the Egyptian Parliament and vice president of the Democratic Gathering, welcomed the President’s speech.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Sisi’s invitation for dialogue is considered the foundation of the new republic and its achievements.

“If this new republic is not protected by political dialogue, it will be threatened in the future,” he said, adding that any economic and social achievements must be protected by a strong political structure based on the participation of all parties.

For his part, Dr. Abdel Moneim Saeed, a political analyst and a member of the Senate, said he was surprised by Sisi’s call for political dialogue.

Speaking with Asharq Al-Awsat, he said the Egyptian President had always paid attention to the file of economic reform.

According to Saeed, Sisi had not raised the issue of political dialogue, although the president previously referred to it when speaking about his hopes to hold an open discussion on education, health, culture, and political issues.

“What is new this time is that Sisi mentioned the word political dialogue and linked it to the new republic,” Saeed stressed.

Two days ago, IMF managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said that she sees conditions for the Egyptian economy worsening.

According to Hussein, Sisi’s call for dialogue is not the result of political pressure or an economic crisis, as some claim.

He said Egypt was never forced to implement the demands of external forces.

“The Egyptian State is now more stable on the security and social levels and despite difficult economic conditions, Cairo is implementing a strong economic reform plan capable of facing all difficulties,” he stressed.

For his part, Saeed said that any political dialogue in Egypt has two parts: The first is related to the need of passing and reviewing several laws, especially regarding equality, discrimination, and personal status issues.

As for the second part, he said it is related to political openness, freedom of expression, and the principles of transparency and accountability.

“There is a need for the country’s political forces to turn words into actions and to set an agenda and rules for political dialogue, and bases for discussion,” he said.



Hundreds of Thousands Flee as Israel Seizes Rafah in New Gaza 'Security Zone'

A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
TT
20

Hundreds of Thousands Flee as Israel Seizes Rafah in New Gaza 'Security Zone'

A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)
A youth rides a bicycle as people commute along the al-Rashid road, the only route linking the northern and southern parts of the Palestinian territory, on April 2, 2025. (Photo by Bashar TALEB / AFP)

Hundreds of thousands of fleeing Gazans sought shelter on Thursday in one of the biggest mass displacements of the war, as Israeli forces advanced into the ruins of the city of Rafah, part of a newly announced "security zone" they intend to seize.

A day after declaring their intention to capture large swathes of the crowded enclave, Israeli force pushed into the city on Gaza's southern edge which had served as a last refuge for people fleeing other areas for much of the war, reported Reuters.

Gaza's health ministry reported at least 97 people killed in Israeli strikes in the past 24 hours, including at least 20 killed in an airstrike around dawn in Shejaia suburb of Gaza City.

Rafah "is gone, it is being wiped out," a father of seven among the hundreds of thousands who had fled from Rafah to neighboring Khan Younis, told Reuters via a chat app.

"They are knocking down what is left standing of houses and property," said the man who declined to be identified for fear of repercussions.

After a strike killed several people in Khan Younis, Adel Abu Fakher was checking the damage to his tent.

"Is anything left for us? There’s nothing left for us. We’re being killed while asleep," he said.

The assault to capture Rafah is a major escalation in the war, which Israel restarted last month after effectively abandoning a ceasefire in place since January.

GAZANS FEAR PERMANENT DEPOPULATION

Israel has not spelled out its longterm aims for the security zone its troops are now seizing. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanayahu said troops were taking an area he called the "Morag Axis", a reference to an abandoned former Israeli settlement once located between Rafah on Gaza's southern edge and the adjacent main southern city Khan Younis.

Gazans who had returned to homes in the ruins during the ceasefire have now been ordered to flee communities on the northern and southern edges of the strip.

They fear that Israel's intention is to depopulate those areas indefinitely, leaving many hundreds of thousands of people permanently homeless in one of the poorest and most crowded territories on earth. The security zone includes some of Gaza's last agricultural land and critical water infrastructure.

Since the first phase of the ceasefire expired at the start of March with no agreement to prolong it, Israel has imposed a total blockade on all goods reaching Gaza's 2.3 million residents, recreating what international organizations describe as a humanitarian catastrophe after weeks of relative calm.

Israel's stated goal since the start of the war has been the destruction of the Hamas group which ran Gaza for nearly two decades and led the attack on Israeli communities in October 2023 that precipitated the war.

But with no effort made to establish an alternative administration, Hamas-led police returned to the streets during the ceasefire. Fighters still hold 59 dead and living hostages which Israel says must be handed over to extend the truce; Hamas says it will free them only under a deal that ends the war.

Israeli leaders say they have been encouraged by signs of protest in Gaza against Hamas, with hundreds of people demonstrating in north Gaza's Beit Lahiya on Wednesday opposing the war and demanding Hamas quit power. Hamas calls the protesters collaborators and says Israel is behind them.

The war began with a Hamas attack on Israeli communities on October 7, 2023 with gunmen killing 1,200 people and taking more than 250 hostages according to Israeli tallies. Israel's campaign has so far killed more than 50,000 Palestinians, Gaza health authorities say.

Rafah residents said most of the local population had followed Israel's order to leave, as Israeli strikes toppled buildings there. But a strike on the main road between Khan Younis and Rafah stopped most movement between the two cities.

Movement of people and traffic along the western coastal road near Morag was also limited by bombardment, said residents.

"Others stayed because they don't know where to go, or got fed up of being displaced several times. We are afraid they might be killed or at best detained," said Basem, a resident of Rafah who declined to give a second name.

Markets have emptied and prices for basic necessities have soared under Israel's total blockade of food, medicine and fuel.

The Palestinian Health Ministry, which is based in the Israeli-occupied West Bank but has nominal authority over hospitals in Gaza, said Gaza's entire healthcare system was at risk of collapse.