Syrian Regime Diverts Flights to Latakia Airport after Latest Israeli Strikes

 A Cham Wings Airlines Airbus A320-211 is pictured in Syria in this file photo taken on June 15, 2022. (AFP)
A Cham Wings Airlines Airbus A320-211 is pictured in Syria in this file photo taken on June 15, 2022. (AFP)
TT

Syrian Regime Diverts Flights to Latakia Airport after Latest Israeli Strikes

 A Cham Wings Airlines Airbus A320-211 is pictured in Syria in this file photo taken on June 15, 2022. (AFP)
A Cham Wings Airlines Airbus A320-211 is pictured in Syria in this file photo taken on June 15, 2022. (AFP)

Flights to and from the Syrian government-ruled areas have been diverted to Latakia International Airport since the latest Israeli airstrikes that hit airports in Damascus and Aleppo.   

Reliable sources in Damascus said the government has most likely completed repairing the two airports but doesn’t want to resume operations so that Israel won’t strike them again.

In the past and after previous strikes on airports, authorities were quick to announce that operations were resuming there in just a matter of days. Now, weeks have past since the attacks and the authorities have yet to announce the resumption of services there.

A local source in Damascus told Asharq Al-Awsat that people are traveling through Latakia International Airport because the two airports in Damascus and Aleppo are out of service.  

Another source confirmed to Asharq Al-Awsat that he returned from a foreign country two days ago through the airport in Latakia.   

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said on Oct. 10 that Israel continues to attack targets in Syria under the pretext of countering Iranian expansion and Iranian-backed militias in the country.  

Between October 10 and November 10, the SOHR documented 17 attacks: 11 airstrikes and six rocket attacks by ground forces.  

Four airstrikes hit Aleppo International Airport, putting it out of service on four occasions. Two airstrikes hit Damascus International Airport, putting it out of service on two occasions.   

After the Israeli attack, Syria’s Ministry of Transport announced that it was diverting scheduled flights to Latakia airport.  

Sources said that the Syrian government believes that operating Latakia airport was a safer bet given the deployment of Russian forces at the nearby Hmeimim airport. It is unlikely for Israel to target regions in Syria that are held by Russia, they added.

SOHR confirmed that no military shipments have been delivered to Iranian-backed militias through the Damascus and Aleppo airports after the latest Israeli strikes.

The Damascus Voice website said that a plane from the Iranian Revolutionary Guards-linked Mahan Air flew in from Tehran and landed at the Latakia airport on November 2. The plane had no passengers and was unloaded under Russian-Iranian military protection, the website quoted “private” sources as saying.  

Russia has granted Iran the “green light” to use the Latakia airport, part of which is controlled by Russian forces, according to the sources.   

The website added that an Ilyushin Iranian cargo plane landed at the Hmeimim base two days ago. IRGC generals were present for the unloading of the plane. The cargo was transferred to an unknown location held by Russian forces.   

The same aircraft had been used over the years to deliver weapons and ammunition to pro-Iranian militias in Syria.



Tel Aviv Says Kushner Accepts Netanyahu’s Position on Gaza

A handout photo made available by Israel's Government Press Office (GPO) shows Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (2-R)  meeting with US President Trump's special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, (2-L), the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner (L), and Minister Ron Dermer (R), attending the Israeli cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , 09 October 2025  (EPA/Handout)
A handout photo made available by Israel's Government Press Office (GPO) shows Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (2-R) meeting with US President Trump's special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, (2-L), the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner (L), and Minister Ron Dermer (R), attending the Israeli cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , 09 October 2025 (EPA/Handout)
TT

Tel Aviv Says Kushner Accepts Netanyahu’s Position on Gaza

A handout photo made available by Israel's Government Press Office (GPO) shows Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (2-R)  meeting with US President Trump's special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, (2-L), the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner (L), and Minister Ron Dermer (R), attending the Israeli cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , 09 October 2025  (EPA/Handout)
A handout photo made available by Israel's Government Press Office (GPO) shows Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (2-R) meeting with US President Trump's special envoy for the Middle East, Steve Witkoff, (2-L), the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner (L), and Minister Ron Dermer (R), attending the Israeli cabinet meeting in Jerusalem , 09 October 2025 (EPA/Handout)

US President Donald Trump’s envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, agreed to the position of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to continue assassinations and military operations in Gaza until Hamas fully disarms, Tel Aviv claimed on Monday.

The announcement came after Kushner met with ‌Netanyahu in Israel and a day after the American envoy met the political leader of Hamas in Egypt in a bid to revive a US plan to end the war in Gaza.

But as the two officials were meeting in Jerusalem, the Israeli military issued a warning saying Hamas was deceiving the US and mediators with a false appearance of moderation while maintaining their long-term objective of destroying Israel.

‘Lifeline’

According to the Israeli newspaper Maariv, security assessments indicate that Hamas views ongoing diplomatic US mediation efforts as a strategic “lifeline” while simultaneously attempting to repair its military infrastructure in Gaza under constraints.

Israeli security officials cited by the newspaper said that despite visible pragmatic statements, Hamas has not abandoned its core goals and actively identifies international and US-backed diplomatic tracks as a way to navigate pressure.

The newspaper doubted Hamas will fully honor its promises to relinquish all its weapons. It said Hamas will attack Israel again when given the chance, meaning that Israel must stay alert.

While Kushner and Netanyahu met for four hours on Monday, the Israeli army spokesman confirmed that its forces continued to launch raids on several areas in Gaza , as well as in the Ali Taher heights in southern Lebanon.

Washington’s concerns

According to Yedioth Ahronoth, Washington is increasingly concerned that Israel is trying to buy time, introduce new reservations and change the sequencing set out in Trump’s 15-point plan to end the war in Gaza.

“They feel Israel is playing games,” one source familiar with the details told the newspaper.

The message from Trump’s circle, according to sources cited by Yedioth Ahronoth, is essentially that Netanyahu must agree to the deal because the president has already delivered what Israel asked of him and now expects Israel to do the same.

People familiar with the president’s thinking also said Trump believes he has already given Netanyahu significant political support, including signals connected to the PM’s pardon request, and does not intend to keep paying for the same commitment.

Maariv cited US sources as saying that Netanyahu prioritizes his domestic political survival ahead of Israel's election in October, often discounting how his public rejections of US-led initiatives impact the Republican party, which is preparing for midterm elections in November with a slim House majority.

According to Haaretz, Trump has declined to endorse Netanyahu as a candidate in the October 27 election in part due to his poor showing in opinion polls and partially due to wartime disagreements.

Tougher message

According to people involved in the talks, the US wants Netanyahu to immediately implement a number of steps: halting attacks in Gaza, advancing withdrawals toward the yellow line, significantly increasing humanitarian aid deliveries and allowing reconstruction and civilian governance mechanisms to begin moving forward.

Unlike previous negotiation rounds, the message from Washington is now considerably tougher.

Trump wants agreements that have already been discussed to be implemented rather than reopened for another round of bargaining. A source familiar with the talks said the purpose is “to translate the roadmap commitments into concrete and verifiable steps.”


Iraq to Probe Drone Attack on Kurdistan PM’s Office

Smoke billows after strikes near Erbil airport on July 24, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke billows after strikes near Erbil airport on July 24, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Iraq to Probe Drone Attack on Kurdistan PM’s Office

Smoke billows after strikes near Erbil airport on July 24, 2026. (AFP)
Smoke billows after strikes near Erbil airport on July 24, 2026. (AFP)

Iraq said on Monday it would launch an investigation into an overnight drone attack on the Iraqi Kurdistan prime minister's office, as Iran portrayed the incident as a ploy to undermine bilateral relations.

Kurdistan's authorities had earlier blamed the attack -- which also targeted the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief -- on Tehran, saying the two drones had been launched from Iranian territory.

Since the start of the Middle East war, the Kurdistan region, which hosts US troops and foreign oil firms as well as rebels exiled from Iran, has been targeted with more than 1,000 attacks by Tehran and pro-Iran armed groups inside Iraq.

Drones have repeatedly been intercepted over Kurdistan's capital Erbil, while others have struck the rebels and US interests.

The office of Iraq's Prime Minister Ali al-Zaidi said he had "directed the formation of an investigative committee tasked with identifying the sources and launching points of the attack that targeted the office of" Kurdistan's Prime Minister Masrour Barzani.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei condemned the attack, "describing it as a highly suspicious development that requires vigilance and careful attention", according to a statement carried by state news agency IRNA.

Iran's foreign ministry said its top diplomat Abbas Araghchi held a phone call with his Iraqi counterpart on Monday.

"Nothing justifies the reckless attack on PM Barzani's office. Kurdish friends should be vigilant against false-flag ploys to sow discord between neighbors," Araghchi said on X.

US President Donald Trump's special envoy to Iraq, Tom Barrack, said "we strongly condemn the attack on our friend and valued Kurdish partner" Barzani, adding that the aggression was "unacceptable and a direct threat to regional stability".

Separately, an explosion at a petroleum products depot in eastern Iraqi Kurdistan injured 18 people, Kurdish media outlet Rudaw reported, without specifying the cause of the blast.

Hirsh Salim, deputy director general of health in Sulaimaniyah governorate, told the outlet that there were no fatalities.

Under pressure from the United States, Iraq has given pro-Iran armed groups in the country until September 30 to disarm, coinciding with the end of the US-led anti-ISIS coalition's mission.

Iraq is home to several powerful Iran-backed armed factions, which have seen their political and financial clout increase over the years.

Many emerged in the wake of the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq and gained further power and prominence during the fight against the ISIS group from 2014 onwards.

They have long called for the withdrawal of American troops deployed within the coalition, and they have frequently hit bases hosting US troops.

While some armed groups announced they will cooperate to hand over weapons to the state, others remain adamant that the issue should not be discussed under US pressure.

- 'Dangerous escalation' -

Kurdish authorities said earlier on Monday that two Iranian drones had targeted Barzani's office and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief.

"Following an investigation by the Kurdistan Counter-Terrorism Unit, my personal office and the home of the head of the Security and Intelligence Agency were targeted by Iranian drone attacks earlier today," Barzani said in a post on X.

"This is a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan region."

The regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said there were no casualties in the attack.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," it said.

Tehran accuses the exiled Kurdish opposition groups of serving Western and Israeli interests, and continued to launch strikes against them even during a regional ceasefire announced in April, which eventually broke down.

The groups have mostly evacuated their bases and camps in Kurdistan since the war began.


Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
TT

Houthis Fire 5 Ballistic Missiles at Bab el-Mandeb

 Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)
Damage in the aftermath of Houthi strikes on the Red Sea port city of Mokha, Yemen, August 10, 2026 in this screengrab taken from a handout video. (Reuters/Handout)

The Iran-backed Houthi group fired on Monday five ballistic missiles at the Bab el-Mandeb Strait in the Red Sea, days after their attacks on Yemen’s Mokha all but left it destroyed, taking it out of service.

Legitimate government media said that the Houthis fired two ballistic missiles near the al-Hamza camp in the Ibb provinces and three east of Taiz city.

The Houthis also continued their attacks on Mokha city, in the Taiz province, using rockets and drones.

The government forces continued to counter the Houthi attacks on several fronts.

In Mokha, dozens of sailors staged a protest against the Houthi attacks, calling on the international community to intervene urgently to stop them.

They urged the need to provide effective protection to marine waterways and to workers in the marine sector.

Mokha Port head Abdul Malik Al-Sharabi said the Houthi attacks in recent days left four security forces and three port staff dead.

The militants fired over 25 missiles at the facility, leaving extensive damage throughout, including vessels, the pier, and vital infrastructure, he revealed.

Sailors stage a protest against Houthi attacks on Bab el-Mandeb and the Red Sea. (AP)

He warned of the humanitarian and economic repercussions of the halt in navigation at the port, saying that some 1,300 workers have lost their sources of income.

Meanwhile, in Taiz, government forces repelled Houthi advances north of the city.

A statement from the armed forces, said the troops clashed with the Houthis, leaving casualties in their ranks.

Houth artillery strikes on northwestern Taiz left material damage, said military sources. No casualties were reported. The national resistance retaliated to the attacks.

The Yemeni Network for Victims Associations documented the killing and injury of 18 civilians in Houthi ballistic missile and drone attacks on Taiz, Marib, Hodeidah and Dhale between August 4 and 15.

During a press conference, the association said the attacks targeted homes, displacement camps and civilian infrastructure.

It called on the United Nations, its Security Council and the international community to take measures to protect civilians and hold the perpetrators accountable.

It also called for an independent international probe into the violations related to the use of ballistic missiles and drones.