Tehran to Continue Nuclear Enrichment as Trump Threatens US Could Again Strike Iran's Nuclear Sites

A handout photo made available by the Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service shows Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi during his meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (not pictured) on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Foreign Ministers meeting in Tianjin, China, 15 July 2025. (EPA/Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service / Handout)
A handout photo made available by the Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service shows Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi during his meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (not pictured) on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Foreign Ministers meeting in Tianjin, China, 15 July 2025. (EPA/Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service / Handout)
TT

Tehran to Continue Nuclear Enrichment as Trump Threatens US Could Again Strike Iran's Nuclear Sites

A handout photo made available by the Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service shows Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi during his meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (not pictured) on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Foreign Ministers meeting in Tianjin, China, 15 July 2025. (EPA/Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service / Handout)
A handout photo made available by the Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service shows Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi during his meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov (not pictured) on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Foreign Ministers meeting in Tianjin, China, 15 July 2025. (EPA/Russian Foreign Ministry Press Service / Handout)

Iran has no plans to abandon its nuclear program, including uranium enrichment, despite “severe” damage to its facilities after US strikes last month, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Monday.

“For now, enrichment is stopped because, yes, damages are serious and severe,” Araghchi said in an interview with Fox News’ Bret Baier.

“But obviously we cannot give up enrichment because it is an achievement of our own scientists,” he added, calling it a source of “national pride.”

The FM stressed that any future nuclear deal would have to contain the right to enrichment.

When asked whether any enriched uranium had been saved from the strikes, Araghchi said he had “no detailed information,” but that Iran's Atomic Energy Organization is “trying to evaluate what has exactly happened to our nuclear material, to our enriched material.”

He also said Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei was in “good health” and that Tehran was open to talks with Washington but that those will not be direct “for the time being.”

In response to Araghchi’s comments, US President Donald Trump has warned that the United States could strike Iran's nuclear sites again “if necessary.”

Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform Monday, “Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, on the Iran Nuclear Sites: ‘Damages are very severe, they are destroyed.’ Of course they are, just like I said.”

Meanwhile, Araghchi said Iran remains open to indirect talks with the Trump administration following the strikes on Natanz, Isfahan and Fordow, but cautioned that Iran will not give up nuclear enrichment in any potential deal.

Prior to the war, Tehran and Washington held five rounds of nuclear talks mediated by Oman but could not agree on the extent to which Iran should be allowed to enrich uranium. Israel and Washington say Iran was close to enriching to levels that would allow it to quickly produce a nuclear weapon, while Tehran says its enrichment program is for civilian purposes only.

Araghchi also confirmed that his country would continue to develop and manufacture missiles.

Despite multiple barrages of missiles launched at Israel and waves of Israeli attacks on its bases and launchers, the FM said: “We still have a good number of missiles to defend ourselves.”

He also denied that Iran wants to wipe Israel “off the map.”

Moreover, Araghchi asserted that Tehran would continue to support Palestinian and other armed groups. “We believe that these groups – Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Houthis – are fighting for a just cause.”

Criticism

The Iranian Revolutionary Guards-affiliated Fars News Agency criticized Araghchi’s interview.

The news agency said on Tuesday Araghchi’s acknowledgment that the US strikes caused “serious damage” to nuclear facilities and led to a halt in enrichment signaled weakness.

Fars called the remarks exaggerated and warned that such statements could be viewed as a sign of excessive flexibility.

It also said Araghchi should not have dismissed clerical fatwas issued in Iran calling for the killing of Trump. “Araghchi should not have referred the fatwas to radical groups,” it wrote.

Meanwhile, US Ambassador to NATO Matthew Whitaker told Fox News on Tuesday that Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon.

“I don’t believe a single word that the Iranian foreign minister says,” Whitaker said.

He continued: “He’s not a credible voice for peace. I think it is time for Iran to come to the table and negotiate with the United States of America on a path towards peace and prosperity for the Iranian people.”



North Korea Says Record-High Japan Defense Budget Would Risk ‘Turmoil’

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
TT

North Korea Says Record-High Japan Defense Budget Would Risk ‘Turmoil’

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae and his wife Ri Sol Ju, visits the Revolutionary Martyrs Cemetery on National Liberation Day, in Pyongyang, North Korea, August 14, 2026, in this photo released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on August 15, 2026. (KCNA via Reuters)

North Korea slammed Japan's reported plans to increase its defense budget, accusing Tokyo on Saturday of preparing for a "war of aggression" as its US ally pursues talks with Pyongyang.

Japan has been gradually moving away from its post-World War II pacifist stance, increasing military spending, ramping up defense pacts and deploying missile launchers to its outer islands.

The Japanese defense ministry is now seeking a "record-high" budget for the upcoming fiscal year, broadcaster NHK and other media outlets reported this week, putting the sum at 8.9 trillion yen ($56 billion).

The budget request "will once again break all-time records", a commentary carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

While not yet finalized, the move "clearly signifies a dangerous expansion of the war budget that will bring new turmoil to the region and the world", KCNA said.

"This massive increase in military spending will lead to a buildup of military power to complete preparations for a war of aggression".

The United States, an old Japanese and South Korean ally, meanwhile seeks its own engagement with Pyongyang, with President Donald Trump scaling back annual military drills with Seoul aimed at countering potential threats from the nuclear-armed North.

Trump's order has alarmed allies concerned about US commitments to security in East Asia. Japan this week underlined the "critical" importance of security cooperation with the United States and South Korea.

Trump also said he would meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un this year.

Japan occupied all of Korea before its 1945 surrender in World War II, after which the peninsula was divided into separate states along the 38th parallel.

The legacy of the violent colonial period continues to weigh on the foreign policies of both North and South Korea.

China, a key ally of North Korea, has recently expressed alarm at what it sees as "new militarism" by Japan.

Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi's administration is undertaking a major update of the national defense strategy this year in the face of China's expanding military ambitions.

Tokyo has already lifted Japan's self-imposed ban on weapons exports and expanded defense spending, while pushing to amend the pacifist constitution.

Still, Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi last week reaffirmed the government's "determination to continue fulfilling our responsibility to uphold Japan's postwar path as a peaceful nation", he said during a visit to a shrine honoring the country's war dead.


US Judge Strikes Down Policy Suspending Immigrant Visa Processing for 75 Nations

Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
TT

US Judge Strikes Down Policy Suspending Immigrant Visa Processing for 75 Nations

Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)
Trump pursued a strict immigration policy, which he says aimed to improve national security. (Reuters)

A US judge on Friday struck down a Trump administration policy suspending the issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, saying that the policy exceeded Secretary of State Marco Rubio's statutory authority.

US District Judge Jeannette Vargas in Manhattan said the policy that the State Department announced in January was "patently unlawful" and ran afoul of federal immigration law, which explicitly stripped the secretary of state of authority over ‌consular officers' ‌processing of immigrant visas.

"The Policy, which ‌categorically ⁠prohibits the issuance ⁠of immigrant visas based upon the nationality of the applicant, represents a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme," she wrote.

The State Department's suspension that also took effect in January impacted applicants from Latin American countries including Brazil, Colombia, and Uruguay; Balkan nations such as Bosnia ⁠and Albania; South Asian countries Pakistan and Bangladesh; ‌and those from ‌many nations in Africa, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.

The State ‌Department said applicants from those countries were "at a ‌high risk for becoming a public charge and recourse to local, state and federal government resources in the United States." The department did not immediately respond to a request for ‌comment on the ruling.

Vargas, an appointee of Democratic former President Joe Biden, issued ⁠the ruling ⁠in a lawsuit filed by immigrant rights groups Catholic Legal Immigration Network and African Communities Together along with applicants for immigrant visas and US citizens who are sponsoring family members from the designated countries for immigrant visas.

President Donald Trump has pursued an aggressive immigration crackdown that he says is aimed at improving domestic security. Rights groups say the crackdown has violated free speech and due process rights and has created an unsafe environment, particularly for ethnic minorities, who have raised concerns about racial profiling


US Navy Aircraft Transits Taiwan Strait Before Planned Xi-Trump Meeting

 US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
TT

US Navy Aircraft Transits Taiwan Strait Before Planned Xi-Trump Meeting

 US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)
US and Taiwan flags fly outside the National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) in Taoyuan on March 30, 2026. (AFP via Getty Images)

A US Navy P-8A Poseidon aircraft transited the Taiwan Strait in international airspace on Friday, in a move the US 7th Fleet said "demonstrates the United States' commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific".

The Chinese military tracked and monitored the patrol and reconnaissance aircraft throughout the transit, the state-backed Global Times newspaper reported, citing a military source, saying the "situation was under ‌control".

US military ‌ships or aircraft every few ‌months ⁠pass through or above ⁠the waterway that separates democratically governed Taiwan from China — missions that anger Beijing.

Chinese President Xi Jinping is expected to visit the United States next month to meet President Donald Trump as Washington and Beijing look to stabilize ⁠ties marred by issues including Taiwan, trade ‌disputes and technology ‌curbs.

"By operating within the Taiwan Strait in accordance ‌with international law, the United States upholds the ‌navigational rights and freedoms of all nations," the 7th Fleet said in a statement.

"The aircraft's transit of the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the United States' commitment to ‌a free and open Indo-Pacific. The United States military flies, sails, and ⁠operates ⁠anywhere international law allows."

China claims democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory and says it has jurisdiction over the strait. Taiwan and the US say the strait is an international waterway.

Beijing has repeatedly said the Taiwan issue is its internal affair and at the core of Beijing's interests — a red line that must not be crossed or trampled on.

Taiwan's government rejects China's sovereignty claims, saying that only Taiwan's people can decide their future.