'We Have Peace in the Middle East,' Trump Tells Gaza Summit

 President Donald Trump shows a signed document during the signature ceremony at the Gaza International Peace Summit, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, Monday, Oct.13 2025. (AP)
President Donald Trump shows a signed document during the signature ceremony at the Gaza International Peace Summit, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, Monday, Oct.13 2025. (AP)
TT

'We Have Peace in the Middle East,' Trump Tells Gaza Summit

 President Donald Trump shows a signed document during the signature ceremony at the Gaza International Peace Summit, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, Monday, Oct.13 2025. (AP)
President Donald Trump shows a signed document during the signature ceremony at the Gaza International Peace Summit, in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, Monday, Oct.13 2025. (AP)

US President Donald Trump declared "peace in the Middle East" Monday after world leaders at a summit in Egypt signed a declaration as the guarantors of a Gaza deal aimed at ending two years of war.  

"Together we have achieved what everybody said was impossible. At long last, we have peace in the Middle East," Trump said in a speech to fellow leaders. 

"This is the day that people across the region and around the world have been working, striving, hoping and prayed for," he added. "They have done things over the last month that I think were really unthinkable. Nobody thought this could happen. With the historic agreement we've just signed, those prayers of millions have finally been answered."  

"A new and beautiful day is rising," he said. "And now, the rebuilding begins." 

The United States, Egypt, Qatar and Türkiye signed a declaration on Monday as the guarantors of a Gaza deal aimed at ending two years of war.  

"The document is going to spell out rules and regulations and lots of other things," Trump said before signing, repeating twice that "it's going to hold up". 

World leaders gathered Monday in Egypt for a summit aimed at supporting the ceasefire reached in Gaza, ending the Israel-Hamas war and developing a long-term vision to rebuild the devastated Palestinian territory.  

Addressing the summit, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Egypt was welcoming a "brave and peace-loving president" in Trump.  

He expressed his gratitude to "our partners the US, Türkiye and Qatar," hoping that the war on Gaza would be the final war in the Middle East.   

"The security of peoples cannot be achieved through military force alone," he went on to say, stressing that "peace remains our strategic choice."   

"The Palestinian people have the right to determine their fate and to live in freedom in a state that exists side by side with Israel," Sisi declared.   

"The rivals of today can become the partners of tomorrow," he said. "I tell the Israeli people, let this moment be the beginning of a just and lasting future."   

"Today’s agreement paves the way for a new Middle East," he added, revealing that Egypt will host a Gaza reconstruction summit.  

Israel and Hamas came under pressure from the US, Arab countries and Türkiye to agree on the ceasefire’s first phase negotiated in Qatar through mediators. The truce began Friday.  

But major questions remain over what happens next, raising the risk of a slide back into war. The gathering reflects the international will to follow through on the deal.  

More than 20 world leaders attended the summit, including King Abdullah of Jordan, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, French President Emmanuel Macron and the British Prime Minister Keir Starmer.  

Israel and Hamas have no direct contacts and were not expected to attend. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not travel to the meeting because of a Jewish holiday, his office said. Trump headed to Egypt after a stop in Israel.  

Israel has rejected any role in Gaza for the internationally backed Palestinian Authority, whose leader, Mahmoud Abbas, arrived in the Egyptian Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh on Monday before the gathering.  

The summit unfolded soon after Hamas released 20 remaining living Israeli hostages and Israel started to free hundreds of Palestinians from its prisons, crucial steps under the ceasefire. 



Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Morocco, France Prepare Treaty to Foster Ties

France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)
France's Foreign Affairs Minister Jean-Noel Barrot (L) is received by Morocco's Minister of Foreign Affairs Nasser Bourita (R) in Rabat on May 20, 2026. (AFP)

Moroccan and French foreign ministers said on Wednesday the two countries are preparing to sign a treaty to strengthen ties during an upcoming state visit by King Mohammed VI to France.

The treaty will be the first Morocco signs with a European country, Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser ‌Bourita told reporters after ‌talks with his French counterpart, ‌Jean-Noel ⁠Barrot.

The two ministers ⁠did not specify when the King's visit will take place. Relations between the two countries have improved since Paris recognized Rabat's sovereignty over the disputed Western Sahara territory in 2024.

"Moroccan-French partnership is living its best era at all levels," Bourita said, citing defense industry, ⁠security, aeronautic cooperation.

Barrot also said that "this will be ‌the first treaty of ‌its kind with a non-European country," adding that the goal ‌is to lay the basis for long-term relations ‌between the two countries.

Neither party specified what the treaty implies and its details.

France backs the resumption of direct talks between parties involved in the Western Sahara conflict on the ‌basis of autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty and in line with the most recent UN Security ⁠Council ⁠resolution 2797, Barrot said.

This position led to worsening ties with Algeria which hosts and backs the Polisario Front, an armed group seeking Western Sahara's independence.

Morocco is France's top economic partner in Africa, and a logistical and financial hub between France and part of the continent, Barrot said, adding that it was "natural" for the two countries to work together in Africa.


Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
TT

Jordan Says Shot Down Drone in its Airspace

AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers
AP file photo shows Jordanian soldiers

The Jordanian military announced it had shot down a drone of unknown origin in its airspace on Wednesday. No casualties were reported.

"This morning, the Jordanian Armed Forces engaged with a drone of unknown origin that entered Jordanian airspace and was brought down in Jerash Governorate, without any injuries," the military said of an area located around 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.


First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First of Hundreds of Detained Gaza Flotilla Activists Arrive in Israel

 Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Israeli soldiers are seen on a vessel bearing symbols of the Global Sumud Flotilla, with an Israeli military ship behind it, as seen from Ashdod, southern Israel, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

Israeli authorities have begun detaining hundreds of activists seized from a Gaza-bound flotilla at the southern port of Ashdod on Wednesday, a rights group said, after Israeli forces intercepted their vessels at sea.

The Global Sumud Flotilla set sail from Turkey last week in the latest attempt by activists to breach Israel's blockade of the Palestinian territory, after Israeli forces intercepted a previous convoy last month.

Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard the flotilla were en route to Israel, while rights group Adalah said some had already arrived at Ashdod port and were being held there.

"Having set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the unlawful blockade, these civilian participants were forcefully abducted from international waters and taken into Israeli territory entirely against their will," Adalah said.

"These acts are a direct extension of Israel's policies of collective punishment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza."

The Israeli foreign ministry dismissed the operation as a publicity stunt serving the Palestinian movement Hamas.

"Another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives," a spokesman from the foreign ministry said late on Tuesday.

"This flotilla has once again proved to be nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas," the spokesman added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier denounced the flotilla as "a malicious scheme designed to break the blockade we have imposed on Hamas terrorists in Gaza".

The United States on Tuesday sanctioned four people associated with the Global Sumud Flotilla and accused them of being "pro-terrorist".

Around 50 ships had departed from southwestern Türkiye on Thursday.

Nine Indonesian citizens who were part of the flotilla "have all been reported arrested by Israel," a spokeswoman for Indonesia's foreign ministry said, citing information dated Wednesday.

Indonesia called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members, adding that "every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilized".

Indonesian newspaper Republika earlier said two of its journalists were among the nine Indonesians detained.

Türkiye and Spain have condemned the interception.

Organizers said the flotilla also included 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, sister of President Catherine Connolly.

Israel controls all entry points into Gaza, which has been under an Israeli blockade since 2007.

During the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, the territory has suffered severe shortages of food, medicine and other essential supplies, with Israel at times halting aid deliveries entirely.

A previous flotilla attempt was intercepted last month in international waters off Greece, with most activists expelled to Europe.

Two were brought to Israel, detained for several days and then deported.