South Korea’s Lee Asks China’s Xi for Help Engaging North Korea

 Chinese President Xi Jinping, left, shakes hands with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung before their summit meeting at the Gyeongju National Museum, in Gyeongju, South Korea, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Yonhap via AP)
Chinese President Xi Jinping, left, shakes hands with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung before their summit meeting at the Gyeongju National Museum, in Gyeongju, South Korea, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Yonhap via AP)
TT

South Korea’s Lee Asks China’s Xi for Help Engaging North Korea

 Chinese President Xi Jinping, left, shakes hands with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung before their summit meeting at the Gyeongju National Museum, in Gyeongju, South Korea, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Yonhap via AP)
Chinese President Xi Jinping, left, shakes hands with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung before their summit meeting at the Gyeongju National Museum, in Gyeongju, South Korea, Saturday, Nov. 1, 2025. (Yonhap via AP)

South Korean President Lee Jae Myung sought Chinese President Xi Jinping's help in efforts to resume talks with nuclear-armed neighbor North Korea on Saturday, while Xi told Lee he was willing to widen cooperation and jointly tackle the challenges they face. 

Lee hosted Xi at a state summit and dinner after an Asia-Pacific leaders' forum in the South Korean city of Gyeongju, marking Xi's first visit to the US ally in 11 years. 

Beijing attaches great importance to relations with Seoul and sees South Korea as an inseparable cooperative partner, Xi said ahead of the summit according to Lee's office. 

Lee, who was elected president in a snap election in June, has promised to strengthen ties with the United States while not antagonizing China and seeking to reduce tensions with the North. 

"I am very positive about the situation in which conditions for engagement with North Korea are being formed," Lee said, referring to recent high-level exchanges between China and North Korea. 

"I also hope that South Korea and China will take advantage of these favorable conditions to strengthen strategic communication to resume dialogue with North Korea." 

Lee has called for a phased approach to denuclearizing North Korea, starting with engagement and a freeze on further development of nuclear weapons. 

In a statement on Saturday, Pyongyang, a military and economic ally of China, dismissed the denuclearization agenda as an unrealizable "pipe dream". 

North Korea has repeatedly and explicitly rejected Lee's overtures, saying it will never talk to the South. In recent years Pyongyang abandoned its longstanding policy of unification with the South and called Seoul a main enemy. 

Leader Kim Jong Un said he would be willing to talk to the United States if Washington drops demands for denuclearization, but he did not publicly respond when US President Donald Trump offered talks during his visit to South Korea earlier this week. 

Trump and Lee announced a surprise breakthrough in talks to lower US tariffs in return for billions of dollars in investment from South Korea. The US president then departed before the main APEC leaders' summit. 

During Xi's visit, China and South Korea signed seven agreements including a won-yuan currency swap and memorandums of understanding on online crime, businesses that cater to aging populations, and innovation, among other issues. 

South Korea is a military ally and major trading partner with the United States, but is also heavily reliant on trade with China. 

Hundreds of protesters joined an anti-China rally in Seoul on Saturday as Xi and Lee met. 

Protesters carried placards saying "South Korea belongs to South Korea" and "China Out", while chanting "Chinese and Communism, get out of South Korea" as they marched through the vibrant shopping street in the Hongdae area. 

Kim Hye Kyung, a 64-year-old conservative protester, said she joined the rally to "protect liberal democracy" in her country. 

Amid a rise in such protests, in October Lee ordered a crackdown on anti-Chinese and anti-foreigner rallies that he said were harming the country's image and economy. 



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.