Netflix to Livestream BTS Comeback Concert in K-Pop Mega Event

Pedestrians walk along the stairs displayed with the BTS logo and release date of BTS' 2026 album at Gwanghwamun Square in Seoul on January 14, 2026. (AFP)
Pedestrians walk along the stairs displayed with the BTS logo and release date of BTS' 2026 album at Gwanghwamun Square in Seoul on January 14, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Netflix to Livestream BTS Comeback Concert in K-Pop Mega Event

Pedestrians walk along the stairs displayed with the BTS logo and release date of BTS' 2026 album at Gwanghwamun Square in Seoul on January 14, 2026. (AFP)
Pedestrians walk along the stairs displayed with the BTS logo and release date of BTS' 2026 album at Gwanghwamun Square in Seoul on January 14, 2026. (AFP)

Streaming giant Netflix said Tuesday it will livestream BTS's comeback concert to around 190 countries in what could be the largest live K-pop event to date as the megastars return from military service.

The global stars and South Korea's biggest music act have been on a hiatus since 2022 while members completed mandatory military service.

All seven members were discharged last year, and the band have confirmed they will release a new album, ARIRANG, on March 20 and stage a free comeback concert in central Seoul's Gwanghwamun Square the following day before heading on tour.

"BTS THE COMEBACK LIVE | ARIRANG will stream live exclusively on Netflix March 21," the streaming giant said.

It said the performance would be broadcast live to viewers in more than 190 countries.

Their new album, ARIRANG, named after a Korean folk song about longing and separation often seen as an unofficial national anthem, will be their first since the anthology "Proof", which became South Korea's bestselling record of 2022.

The new album "contains a deep reflection on the team's origins and identity", Netflix said, adding a new documentary featuring the band's return, titled "BTS: THE RETURN" will be launched on March 27.

Their world tour, kicking off in April, will span 34 cities with 79 shows -- the largest single tour by a K-pop group by total performances and the widest regional reach for a South Korean artist, according to their label HYBE.

BTS are big business in South Korea. Before their military service, they generated more than 5.5 trillion won ($3.8 billion) for the country a year, according to Seoul's Korea Culture and Tourism Institute.

The figure is equivalent to 0.2 percent of South Korea's total GDP.

HYBE shares were up 2.5 percent in the morning trade in Seoul.



Havana-born Star Andy Garcia Says Cubans Dream of Change

US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
TT

Havana-born Star Andy Garcia Says Cubans Dream of Change

US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)

Havana-born Hollywood star Andy Garcia told AFP that the overwhelming majority of Cubans would support an intervention to overthrow their government as he presented his directorial debut at the Cannes Film Festival.

The star of films "The Godfather Part III" and "Ocean's Eleven" said he still woke up every morning dreaming of a Cuba "free from repression" after 67 years of communist rule on the island.

"Nobody wants war, but absolute repression and suffering of the people in that country is not the alternative, that's not something to embrace," he said during an interview on Tuesday to promote his film noir "Diamond" which features an A-list cast.

"If you were to ask the Cuban people, not the Cuban government... would they want us (the United States), France, anybody, to intervene and save them? You would get a unanimous 90 percent people saying, 'Please come and invade our country and get rid of these people'," Garcia said.

US President Donald Trump has imposed an oil blockade on Cuba, aggravating the impoverished island's worst economic and energy crisis in decades, while making repeated threats that the US might forcibly topple the government.

In Cuba, young people have told AFP privately they favor a US intervention, seeing it as the only chance to transform the island's fortunes, despite fears it would lead to bloodshed.

But older Cubans tend to reject the threats, pointing to over six decades of tensions between Havana and Washington that never bubbled over into open conflict, despite coming perilously close to a nuclear confrontation in 1962.

Garcia, 70, left Cuba as a child and his film "Diamond" serves as a sort of "love letter" to his adopted hometown Los Angeles where he has lived for most of his life.

His first turn behind the camera is a project 20 years in the making, based on an idea which started out as a homework project for his daughter.

It grew into a film about fedora-wearing and hard-drinking private detective Joe Diamond who is stuck in the past while trying to crack a case about a billionaire's death in contemporary Los Angeles.

Garcia's actor friends Bill Murray and Dustin Hoffman agreed to play roles as a barman and coroner, while the rest of the cast includes "The Whale" star Brendan Fraser as a detective, with Rosemarie DeWitt and Vicky Krieps the female leads.

Garcia said he had learned from many industry legends over his career, including "The Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola who handed him his first major break in a once-stellar career that has stalled in recent decades.

"I always wanted to make movies, not just be in them," Garcia told AFP.

Reviews were mostly positive about his first effort, with Deadline calling it a "wonderfully atmospheric, nostalgic and entertaining contemporary noir". The Wrap said "at times it betrays its amateur beginnings with clunky plotting."


‘The Four Seasons’ Star Tina Fey Says Old Friends Are Gold

 Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

‘The Four Seasons’ Star Tina Fey Says Old Friends Are Gold

 Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

American actress Tina Fey hopes the latest installment of Netflix comedy "The Four Seasons" will inspire viewers to pick up the phone and check in with old friends.

"Lifelong friendships are what really hold it together," Fey told AFP at a premier for the new season, which drops on May 28.

"It's great to be married but you also meet your friends to keep the married people safe," she said from the red carpet at Hollywood's Egyptian Theatre.

"The Four Seasons," which first premiered a year ago, is based on the Alan Alda film of the same name that follows a group of friends as they navigate life's challenges.

The new season will take the group -- played by Fey, Colman Domingo, Will Forte, Marco Calvani, Kerri Kenney-Silver and Erika Henningsen -- on an adventure through Italy as they deal with the death of their friend Nick (Steve Carell).

The group's on-screen connection extends to the real world, cast members said.

"We are friends in real life as well... I think you feel that, I think it comes off the screen," Kenney-Silver said, adding that "the universal story of friendship" is key to the show's success.

While the show sees the friends -- who stay in touch via group chat even when they are not filming -- face the challenges of adulthood, they believe it has the potential to attract a multigenerational audience.

"We're a bunch of oldies, but everyone gets stressed, everyone suffers loss and gets sad, everyone's happy, everyone has people in their life they love and people who annoy them," Forte said.

"So, you know, it's all relatable stuff."

"Even if you're not the age we are, we're like a museum piece," the actor added. "Check out these old artifacts, learn something."


Actor Jon Voight Met with Trump to Advocate for Hollywood Tax Incentives

Cast member Jon Voight attends a premiere for the film "Reagan" at TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California, US, August 20, 2024. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Purchase Licensing Rights
Cast member Jon Voight attends a premiere for the film "Reagan" at TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California, US, August 20, 2024. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Actor Jon Voight Met with Trump to Advocate for Hollywood Tax Incentives

Cast member Jon Voight attends a premiere for the film "Reagan" at TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California, US, August 20, 2024. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Purchase Licensing Rights
Cast member Jon Voight attends a premiere for the film "Reagan" at TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California, US, August 20, 2024. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni Purchase Licensing Rights

Actor Jon Voight met with President Donald Trump earlier this year to advocate for a federal tax credit intended to help boost film and TV production in the United States, representatives of the actor said on Monday.

The previously undisclosed meeting at the White House on February 11 is part of a Hollywood effort to secure federal assistance to fight the flight of production overseas, Reuters reported.

When asked about the meeting, a White House spokesperson said Trump "is committed to Make Hollywood Great Again, and his administration continues to explore all possible policy options to ensure Hollywood remains a potent force of American culture.”

Trump named Voight, who rose to fame following ‌his role ‌in the 1969 film "Midnight Cowboy," as one of three special ambassadors ‌to ⁠Hollywood along with ⁠Sylvester Stallone and Mel Gibson in January 2025.

To fight an exodus of entertainment production abroad, Voight is working with a coalition that includes the Motion Picture Association, the Directors Guild of America and unions representing actors, writers and other talent.

SP Media Group CEO Steven Paul, a film producer and Voight's agent, and SP Media President Scott Karol have proposed a 20% federal tax credit for labor ⁠costs on a film or television production in the United ‌States.

An additional 5% could be earned for ‌independent films or for filming in a disaster zone or a defined “enterprise zone.” Those credits ‌could be used in tandem with state incentives.

The goal is to ‌make the cost of domestic production competitive with Britain and other places around the world that offer tax credits, lower labor costs and world-class soundstages.

Overseas incentives have been luring movie and TV producers to locations outside the United States for years. Filming in the US ‌declined 10% in the first quarter, compared with a year ago, according to ProdPro, which tracks worldwide film ⁠and television production.

The United ⁠States accounted for roughly 38% of film and television work in the first quarter of the year, while the United Kingdom and Canada together represented nearly one-third of global production, ProdPro reported.

In September 2025, Trump floated the idea of a 100% tariff on movies made abroad as a way to bring production back to the United States. Industry advocates welcomed Trump's desire to fight production flight but have urged the president to support tax incentives.

California more than doubled its annual tax incentives for film and television production in June 2025 to $750 million. Early results show the effort helped bring some projects back to Hollywood. Shoot days in Los Angeles rose nearly 11% in the first quarter of this year, according to permitting agency FilmLA.