Israel Greets Iran Talks With Pessimism, Prepares for War

Man uses binoculars to watch the Mediterranean ahead of the expected arrival of the aircraft carrier Gerald Ford at Haifa port (EPA)
Man uses binoculars to watch the Mediterranean ahead of the expected arrival of the aircraft carrier Gerald Ford at Haifa port (EPA)
TT

Israel Greets Iran Talks With Pessimism, Prepares for War

Man uses binoculars to watch the Mediterranean ahead of the expected arrival of the aircraft carrier Gerald Ford at Haifa port (EPA)
Man uses binoculars to watch the Mediterranean ahead of the expected arrival of the aircraft carrier Gerald Ford at Haifa port (EPA)

Despite cautious optimism over negotiations between Iran and the US and hopes for a new nuclear deal, Israel’s political leadership and most of its media have struck a starkly different tone: pessimism, and open preparation for failure and war.

A growing conviction that a confrontation with Iran is inevitable has taken hold among Israelis, with opinion polls showing broad support for military action.

Political leaders have reinforced the mood, citing what they call “Iranian intransigence” and warning that any agreement Washington might reach with Tehran would be a bad one.

Military officials have stressed the Israeli army’s readiness for all scenarios, while media reports describe intensified Israeli and US military movements inside Israel.

On Friday, Yedioth Ahronoth splashed a headline reporting that US F-22 fighter jets that arrived in Israel were placed on maximum alert on the runway at Ovda airport in the Negev desert.

The F-22 is among the most advanced aircraft in service and is not sold to any other military because of the sensitivity of its combat technology. The newspaper said 26 of the 45 jets produced for the US military had reached Israel.

Tensions have also been fueled by reports that the aircraft carrier Gerald Ford docked at an Israeli port, that several airlines suspended flights to Israel, and that large numbers of US troops are stationed at Israeli bases to operate US air defense systems deployed to the country in recent weeks.

Some analysts say the flurry of activity could be part of a coordinated US pressure campaign on Iran. But most argue the main aim is to prepare for negotiations collapsing, allowing a swift pivot from diplomacy to war.

Israeli media reported that the army has privately signaled unease over what it sees as a drift toward support for war without reckoning with the potential cost to Israel.

Israeli army spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin said there had been no change in public guidance.

In a recorded statement, he said the military was closely monitoring developments in Iran and remained on alert, ready to defend in full coordination with partners to bolster air defenses.

If there is any change, authorities will provide the public with an immediate update, he said.

Yedioth Ahronoth reported that the government is preventing the army from speaking openly about the risks. In a report two days earlier, it said the army was refraining from briefing the public under pressure from the political echelon not to disclose potential consequences.

The paper added that none of the army’s scenarios for the current year, including the possibility of a sudden round of fighting with Iran, envisioned a full-scale war with a major regional power like Iran, which has drawn lessons from the previous war.

It said Tehran is working to replenish its missile arsenal and restore its air defenses.

While 30 Israelis were killed in the previous war against Iran, the army is now warning that in a future conflict, scenarios such as an Israeli warplane being shot down inside Iran or greater destruction inside Israel, including the deaths of dozens of civilians, are more plausible.

It also cautioned against being dragged into a “war of attrition” lasting many months and imposing a heavy economic toll, with heavy missiles launched from Iran at a steady pace, disrupting operations at Ben Gurion Airport and striking the home front.

Media leaks continued on Friday, with reports that Israeli military chief of staff Eyal Zamir warned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Hezbollah could join such a war, even though it stayed out of the previous conflict and recently said it did not intend to take part.

Zamir was quoted as saying Iran pumped $1 billion into the party’s coffers last year alone through smuggling operations, expanding its arsenal to include tens of thousands of precision missiles, long-range rockets, explosive drones and tens of thousands of fighters ready to confront Israeli forces if they enter Lebanon — a major challenge for Israel.

In contrast, Amos Harel, military analyst for Haaretz, struck a different note.

Entering a major, and possibly prolonged, war in the Middle East runs counter to US President Donald Trump’s instincts and everything he has advocated for years, he wrote.

Trump, Harel noted, has long argued that the United States became mired in costly wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq, favoring swift, decisive outcomes that allow him to declare victory.

With US public support for war against Iran low and Americans more concerned about the cost of living and domestic turmoil, Harel suggested this may explain Trump’s reluctance to escalate his rhetoric and his repeated delays, while keeping a narrow opening for Tehran to step back and accept a new nuclear deal.



Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon on Monday for Tomahawk missiles amid reports of a shortfall due to the war with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the contract will "accelerate Tomahawk missile delivery to our warfighters at unprecedented speed."

"Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount," Cao said in a statement. "The Department is utilizing every available tool to meet the demands of our current operations."

An analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank released last month found that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles have been slashed by the conflict with Iran.

Before it began in late February, the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors -- figures that CSIS estimated have been roughly halved or more in the subsequent months of war.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a recent cabinet meeting.

Trump and Hegseth both later denied that the United States was faced with dwindling missile stocks.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles).


UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
TT

UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)

The number of aid workers killed worldwide in 2025 reached 350, with the most fatalities in Gaza and Sudan, the United Nations said Monday, calling attacks on humanitarians "unacceptable."

The death toll, however, was slightly lower than that of 2024, when 377 aid workers were killed.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited the figures from the research and advisory group Humanitarian Outcomes in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day.

Some 186 humanitarians were killed in Gaza -- the deadliest place for aid workers for the third year running -- followed by Sudan with 71 killed.

"More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable," Tom Fletcher, under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said in the statement.

"But just calling it out will not protect the next aid worker. States must uphold international humanitarian law and use every tool to protect civilians and our colleagues," he said. "And for those who break the rules, there must be real consequences."

Since the start of 2026, 82 more aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide.

OCHA voiced particular concern over the proliferation of armed drones "that are putting lethal power into ever more hands and sending more explosive weapons into towns and cities."

In Sudan, armed drones caused 80 percent of civilian deaths in the first four months of 2026, hitting markets and health facilities, the statement said, also noting casualties from drone attacks in the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Weaponized drones have become the new face of an old danger: the deliberate or reckless destruction of civilian life," Fletcher said.


Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
TT

Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone posing as Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, several media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Politico, which broke the story quoting anonymous sources, the British leader sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be Wiles before becoming suspicious.

The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.

Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

"We do not comment on national security matters," a spokesperson for Burnham's Downing Street office said, without denying the exchanges.

Burnham is not the first prominent British politician to fall victim to this type of hoax.

In 2024, the British government released a video of a phone call in which the then foreign minister David Cameron was duped by someone posing as former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

The Foreign Office explained at the time that it had disclosed the incident to preempt any attempt by the perpetrators to manipulate the footage.