Attacks against Israel Intensify as New Supreme Leader Takes over in Iran

 08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
TT

Attacks against Israel Intensify as New Supreme Leader Takes over in Iran

 08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)

Iran and Hezbollah intensified their attacks against Israel after Tehran appointed Mojtaba Khamenei to replace his slain father as Iran's supreme leader.

On Monday, reports said Iran launched seven missile barrages at Israel while Lebanon’s Hezbollah conducted seven waves of rocket, mortar, and drone attacks targeting Israeli forces at the border and inside Israel.

In Tel Aviv, analysts said the escalation came as a message from the new supreme leader that he was avenging his father's murder.

The attacks sent five million residents running to bomb shelters throughout Sunday evening and Monday afternoon, reported Israeli media.

Emergency responders and news outlets have repeatedly documented injuries sustained while civilians ran for cover, including the death of a 102-year-old man who fell on his way to a protected space in Ramat Gan and later died of his wounds.

Two workers at a construction site were killed and tens of accidents were reported due to the fall of rocket debris in two separate locations following several rocket barrages launched by Iran.

The Israeli army, which has maintained strict secrecy regarding the outcome of Iran and Hezbollah bombings against its sensitive military positions, affirms that along its US partners, is engaged in an intensive operation aimed at degrading Iranian missile capabilities and targeting Hezbollah infrastructure in Lebanon.

The army even boasted that its forces have launched more strikes than the US against Iran, despite being occupied in a second front against Hezbollah at the Lebanese borders.

More Israeli strikes

The Tel Aviv-based Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) said that early in the war, US forces carried out over three times as many strikes in Iran, but since the shift to the "next phase," Israel has dramatically increased its attacks, potentially reflecting strategy, munitions limits and political calculations.

During the first five days of the war, US forces struck about 2,000 targets in Iran, compared with roughly 600 Israeli strikes.

Over the weekend, however, after both Israel and the United States announced a transition to the “next phase” of Operation Roaring Lion, the trend shifted. Since then, the Israeli army has carried out nearly three times as many strikes as the US military, hitting about 2,800 targets compared with roughly 1,000 US strikes.

Overall, according to INSS figures, the United States has attacked about 3,000 targets in Iran since the start of the operation. Israel has struck around 3,400 targets in Iran, in addition to about 600 more in Lebanon.

According to the Yedioth Ahronoth daily, the data suggest that after the transition to the new phase of the campaign, Israel sharply accelerated its strikes in Iran, while the US has largely maintained the operational tempo it set earlier in the war.

Behind the numbers may lie a broader story reflecting different approaches by Israel and the US to managing the conflict.

It said that one possible reason Washington has not significantly increased its strike rate may involve munitions supplies and interceptor inventories.

Also, the US has moved additional military assets toward the Middle East, some of which are still en route.

These include the aircraft carrier USS George Bush and its strike group, which includes three destroyers. In recent days, four US B-1 bombers have also arrived in Britain.

From Israel’s perspective, the shift in strike tempo as the campaign enters its next phase may reflect progress in the fighting. It may also indicate concern that Trump could halt the operation due to public opinion in the United States.

Israeli officials reportedly understood early in the war that it would be important to maximize operational gains quickly.

At the same time, Trump has said several times that the war could last a month or even longer, and there are signs the campaign is far from over.

Trump also said the final decision on when the war ends will ultimately rest with him, although Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will have influence over the timing.

Meanwhile, reports said Trump and his administration have so far offered mixed messages and contradictory explanations on the joint US-Israeli military campaign against Iran.

According to polls, most Americans still ignore why they are at war that has immediately impacted the US economy and energy prices.

According to the right-wing Israel Hayom newspaper, Israelis estimate that despite the wave of large-scale Iranian attacks against Israel, Tehran has not altered its tactics, continuing to bet on the US to intervene and stop the war.



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.