War Deepens Lebanon’s Economic Collapse

A displaced young girl who fled with her family Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon, eats an apple at a playground school that turned into a shelter in Beirut, Saturday, March 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
A displaced young girl who fled with her family Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon, eats an apple at a playground school that turned into a shelter in Beirut, Saturday, March 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
TT

War Deepens Lebanon’s Economic Collapse

A displaced young girl who fled with her family Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon, eats an apple at a playground school that turned into a shelter in Beirut, Saturday, March 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
A displaced young girl who fled with her family Israeli airstrikes in southern Lebanon, eats an apple at a playground school that turned into a shelter in Beirut, Saturday, March 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Lebanon’s economy barely catches its breath before another crisis hits, tightening the squeeze and deepening its fragility.

The current war has wiped out efforts to revive it, as the country still reels from the 2019 financial collapse, the coronavirus pandemic, the Beirut port blast, and the 2023-2024 war.

After successive governments failed to resolve its structural crisis, the latest military escalation has further weakened the economy and stalled reform efforts, despite the current government's attempts to lay out recovery plans and legislation.

Since the first week of the war, some businesses have halved employees’ working hours to cut wages, while others have shut down entirely, aside from those destroyed in Beirut’s southern suburbs and the south.

The impact has been immediate, with many workers still earning less than half their pre-2019 salaries.

Losses of $100 million a day

Nicolas Chammas, secretary-general of the Lebanese Economic Organizations and head of the Beirut Traders Association, described the war’s impact as “huge,” compounded by years of strain since 2019.

“In 2025, economic growth reached 5%, but that followed a 7% contraction in 2024,” Chammas told Asharq Al-Awsat. “We had already started this year on a negative footing, and the current war has worsened conditions.”

According to the World Bank, the 2024 war cost $14 billion, or about $225 million a day.

“Using that as a benchmark, the current war is costing roughly $100 million a day,” he said, citing damage to infrastructure, reduced economic activity, and the cost of sheltering and assisting displaced people.

Chammas said tourism and travel were among the hardest-hit sectors, with travel down by more than 80%.

“Hotel occupancy is now below 10%, and declines are also severe in car rentals, furnished apartments, and resorts,” he said. “The industrial and commercial sectors are also affected, with the latter down around 50%.”

If the war continues, he warned, growth could flip into a contraction of up to 10%.

Structural contraction

Economist Jassem Ajaka said the war has shifted the downturn from “monetary” to “structural.”

“Under full dollarization, the shock no longer shows in a currency collapse, but in paralyzed economic activity and higher operating costs,” he told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He put total losses from the previous and current wars at about $15 billion, direct and indirect, based on World Bank estimates and updated research for 2026.

With Brent crude above $115, production and dollarized service costs have risen by more than 40%, eroding companies' profit margins, he said.

The agricultural sector has been the hardest hit geopolitically, with losses of about $2.5 billion due to destroyed land and disrupted supply chains. Tourism revenues have fallen 74% compared with the 2024 season, depriving the economy of a key source of foreign currency.

Ajaka said recent Banque du Liban data showed external assets holding at about $12.07 billion, supported by liquid foreign securities.

But he warned that a prolonged war and high oil prices would gradually drain those assets to cover fuel and essential imports, threatening this “artificial stability” in the second half of the year if reserves fall below safe levels.

Latest figures

Ajaka said 30% of small and medium-sized businesses had shut down permanently by the first quarter of 2026, unable to cover dollarized operating costs amid weak demand.

Those still operating have shifted to “emergency cash flow management,” with some paying half salaries or flat dollar wages worth no more than 40% of previous levels.

Unemployment has surged to between 46% and 48%, driven not only by business closures but also by the inability of productive sectors to absorb labor costs amid rising global energy and input prices.



France, Germany, UK and Italy Condemn Israel's 'E1' West Bank Plan

A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
TT

France, Germany, UK and Italy Condemn Israel's 'E1' West Bank Plan

A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH

France, Germany, Britain and Italy condemned on Thursday plans by Israel to open up construction tenders for a residential property project called 'E1' in the occupied West Bank.

"The decision by the Israeli government ⁠to publish bid offers ⁠for construction projects within the framework of the E1 settlers' project is unacceptable," said ⁠a joint statement by the leaders of those four countries.

"At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning," said the statement, urging Israel "to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank."

Hundreds of thousands of Israelis have settled among millions of Palestinians in land captured by Israel in a 1967 war.

Nearly all ⁠countries ⁠and a range of UN bodies consider that such settlements violate international law.


Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israelis began moving into the occupied West Bank settlement of Kadim on Thursday, the local settler council said, the last of four communities from which Israel withdrew more than two decades ago to be repopulated.

It came a week after Israel officially reopened neighboring Ganim, in a move emblematic of the current government's policy of rapid settlement expansion in the occupied Palestinian territory.

The Samaria regional council, which administers Israeli settlements in the northern West Bank, described the return to Kadim as a "historic milestone".

"At this very moment, the families of the pioneering settler core are moving into Kadim, a community that was uprooted during the disengagement," it said in a statement.

It said that 30 families were moving to live permanently in the settlement, accompanied on Thursday by far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and head of the Samaria regional council, Yossi Dagan.

Kadim is one of four Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank that Israel evacuated under former prime minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan in 2005, which also included abandoning all Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip.

The move came partly because of their isolated location in the north of the West Bank, among many Palestinian cities and villages.

Under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, settlement construction and expansion have surged, including with the re-establishment of all four evacuated communities -- Ganim, Sa-Nur, Homesh and now Kadim.

"Twenty-one years after the crime of the expulsion from northern Samaria, today we have completed the rectification," Smotrich was quoted as saying in the statement on Thursday.

"These communities constitute a real security buffer for the entire State of Israel," he added, vowing to establish 19 settlements in the northernmost part of the West Bank.

Dagan said: "We have come home, and this time to stay and grow twentyfold."

"We are raising the flag again, closing the circle, and continuing to build Samaria with full force," he added, using the Biblical term for the northern West Bank.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967. More than 500,000 Israelis live in settlements in the territory, which are illegal under international law, among some three million Palestinians.


Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
TT

Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER

Türkiye, Egypt and Qatar on Thursday strongly condemned recent Israeli strikes in Gaza, saying in a joint statement that Israel must comply with its obligations under a ceasefire agreement and refrain from steps that could escalate tensions.

"The mediating countries underline that the intensification of Israeli attacks undermines regional and international efforts at a critical juncture, as intensive efforts are under way to implement the Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict, including the meeting between the Board of Peace and Israeli officials, and constructive steps are being taken in the negotiation process," they said, Reuters reported.

The international community and Board of Peace must take the necessary steps to ensure compliance with the ceasefire and prevent further escalation, they added.