Israel’s Military to Occupy Swathe of Southern Lebanon, Defense Chief Says

Damage at the site of an Israeli strike targeting the Qasmiye bridge near Tyre, southern Lebanon, 23 March 2026. (EPA)
Damage at the site of an Israeli strike targeting the Qasmiye bridge near Tyre, southern Lebanon, 23 March 2026. (EPA)
TT

Israel’s Military to Occupy Swathe of Southern Lebanon, Defense Chief Says

Damage at the site of an Israeli strike targeting the Qasmiye bridge near Tyre, southern Lebanon, 23 March 2026. (EPA)
Damage at the site of an Israeli strike targeting the Qasmiye bridge near Tyre, southern Lebanon, 23 March 2026. (EPA)

Israel's military will occupy southern Lebanon up to the Litani River, defense minister Israel Katz said on Tuesday, the first time Israel has clearly spelled out its intent to seize swathes of territory that make up nearly a tenth of Lebanon. 

Katz has previously threatened Lebanon's government it would lose territory if it did not disarm Hezbollah, the group backed by Tehran that drew Lebanon into the US-Israeli war on Iran when it fired into Israel on March 2. 

On Tuesday, Katz said in a meeting with the military chief of staff that the military would "control the remaining bridges and ‌the security zone ‌up to the Litani", and was creating a "defensive buffer". 

The Litani ‌River ⁠meets the Mediterranean ⁠about 30 km (20 miles) north of the Israeli border with Lebanon. 

The military has destroyed five bridges over the river since March 13 and has accelerated the demolition of homes in Lebanese villages close to the Israeli border as part of a campaign that Israel says is aimed at Hezbollah and not Lebanese civilians. 

Under international law, attacks on civilian infrastructure, including homes and bridges, are generally prohibited. 

The Israeli military declined to comment on the defense minister's remarks. The military has previously said ground troops were carrying out limited ⁠and targeted raids close to the border with Israel. 

ISRAEL SEEKS DEFENSIVE BUFFER ‌LIKE IN GAZA, SAYS KATZ 

Katz said there could be ‌no homes or residents in areas of southern Lebanon where there was "terror" in the area, in an apparent ‌reference to Hezbollah, whose fighters have continued to launch daily rocket and drone attacks into Israeli ‌territory and battle Israeli troops in southern Lebanese villages. 

Katz said Israeli soldiers were maneuvering in Lebanon to establish a "forward defensive line", fighting Hezbollah and destroying infrastructure used by the group, including homes that he said function as "terrorist outposts". 

For the second time this week, he said the approach was similar to that taken by the ‌military in Gaza, clearing and demolishing buildings near the border "to create a defensive buffer and push the threat away from communities". 

On Monday, influential Finance ⁠Minister Bezalel Smotrich said Israel ⁠should annex southern Lebanon up to the river. 

Israel's strikes on Lebanon have caused widespread destruction across the country's south and parts of the capital, Beirut, and have killed more than 1,000 people. 

Over a million people have been forced from their homes. The United Nations human rights chief has criticized Israel's actions, particularly its use of widespread evacuation orders. 

Among those killed are almost 120 children, 80 women and 40 medical personnel, according to Lebanon's health ministry, which does not otherwise distinguish between civilians and fighters. Two Israeli soldiers have been killed in fighting in Lebanon. 

President Donald Trump on Monday said Washington and Tehran could soon reach an agreement on ending the war following what he has described as talks between US and Iranian officials. Iran has denied there have been any negotiations with the US 

It is unclear if a ceasefire in Lebanon would be part of any agreement on ending the US-Israeli war with Iran. 



Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
TT

Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plans to visit Syria soon, reviving a trip initially scheduled for April but postponed after the outbreak of the Iran war in February.

Erdogan pledged that Türkiye would do everything possible to bolster stability in its neighbor, stressing that Syria “will not be alone,” according to excerpts from a television interview carried by Turkish media on Sunday.

He predicted that Syrian Kurds would play a role in peace and stability and pledged to strengthen Türkiye’s ties with Kurdish communities across the region.

Erdogan also cited parliament’s approval of legislation on “Strengthening National Solidarity and Social Integration,” known as the “framework law,” allowing members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) to return and reintegrate into Turkish society as part of the “Terror-Free Türkiye” process.

The Kurdish side calls the initiative the “Peace and Democratic Society Process,” centered on the PKK’s dissolution and disarmament, along with affiliated groups.

SDF integration

Erdogan’s remarks coincided with comments attributed by the pro-government Türkiye newspaper to Mahmoud Berkhedan, a Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander in Ain al-Arab, or Kobani.

Berkhedan praised Erdogan and his ally, Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahceli, for their role in Türkiye’s new peace process.

According to Berkhedan, 99% of outstanding issues over military integration with Damascus have been resolved, with some 10,000 to 12,000 members of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), the main component of the SDF, integrated into the Syrian army.

He added that the YPG would be dissolved within days and the Autonomous Administration structure in northern and northeastern Syria would disappear.

“We have buried our weapons and are not demanding an independent state,” Berkhedan declared. “There is no turning back. We will participate side by side in building a new Syria within one army, one state, one flag and a shared homeland.”

Military integration is nearly complete, he added, though the status of the Women’s Protection Units (YPJ) and Turkish nationals serving in the Kurdish forces remains unresolved.

Syria trip

Turkish Ambassador to Damascus Nuh Yilmaz revealed Friday that Erdogan had been considering a visit around April 21, but the Iran war and closure of airspace prevented it.

The date had not been finalized before regional developments intervened, Yilmaz explained, but the trip remains planned and will be announced by the Turkish presidency once arrangements are complete.

He expects Erdogan to visit before the end of the year.

Erdogan last traveled to Damascus in January 2011, when he was Türkiye’s prime minister, about two months before the Syrian uprising and the subsequent rupture in diplomatic relations over Ankara’s opposition to the Assad government’s crackdown on protests.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa has made four visits to Türkiye since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024, while exchanges between senior officials have increased and political, economic, security and defense ties have deepened.

Yilmaz noted that four strategic security threats along Türkiye’s border — human smuggling, drug trafficking, irregular migration and terrorism — had disappeared since the collapse of the regime.

Trade between the two countries has also risen 40% to $3.75 billion, with a medium-term target of $10 billion. Talks are continuing on a free-trade agreement, joint industrial zones and opening all crossings along the more than 900-kilometer border.

Türkiye’s foreign and interior ministries are also working on new visa arrangements to make it easier for Syrians who have returned home to visit Türkiye, according to Yilmaz.


Did the US Give Israel a Green Light to Seize Lebanon's Ali al-Taher?

 The Ali al-Taher heights, overlooking destruction in the southern Lebanese town of Kfar Tebnit. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The Ali al-Taher heights, overlooking destruction in the southern Lebanese town of Kfar Tebnit. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Did the US Give Israel a Green Light to Seize Lebanon's Ali al-Taher?

 The Ali al-Taher heights, overlooking destruction in the southern Lebanese town of Kfar Tebnit. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The Ali al-Taher heights, overlooking destruction in the southern Lebanese town of Kfar Tebnit. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Political sources in Tel Aviv said Israel’s escalation in South Lebanon over the past three days has Washington's understanding, provided it does not reignite the war and is accompanied by steps to advance US-sponsored negotiations between the Lebanese and Israeli governments.

The sources noted that the US understands Israel’s response because Hezbollah has continued operations that killed two Israeli soldiers and seriously wounded three others in a drone attack in the Ali al-Taher area.

The Israeli military subsequently launched intensive airstrikes and shelling across numerous areas it claimed were linked to Hezbollah, killing several civilians, including children.

Israel’s Maariv newspaper reported that political sources said the US had given Israel a “green light,” while Haaretz cited political sources as saying the American administration had expressed understanding for Israeli operations but asked Tel Aviv to take diplomatic steps to help advance negotiations with Beirut and exercise restraint on other fronts.

According to the Israeli account, the fierce battle over the Ali al-Taher hills is driven not only by their commanding position over the Nabatieh area, a Hezbollah stronghold, but also by a large underground tunnel complex with eight entrances that Israel describes as Hezbollah’s southern “Kirya.”

The Kirya is the name of the Israeli military headquarters complex in Tel Aviv, which also houses the Defense Ministry and an underground command center.

Israel claims that more than 40 senior Hezbollah operatives were initially trapped in the underground complex and have been encircled for two months.

Their number has since fallen to about 15, according to the Israeli assessment. Israel believes some are officers and trainers from Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps and wants to expose their presence publicly.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hopes their surrender could provide an image of victory over Hezbollah. Israel is demanding that those still inside emerge either in surrender or be killed.

Hezbollah, meanwhile, is seeking to thwart the Israeli plan and exact a heavy price from the military, using explosive-laden drones, planted explosives and clashes.

Each Israeli casualty has increased pressure on Netanyahu and military commanders, prompting heavier strikes on Lebanese homes and neighborhoods.

For Netanyahu, the mounting losses also carry political costs as he faces a difficult election battle. They undermine his claim to have achieved the war’s objectives of dismantling and disarming Hezbollah, which Israel says is regrouping and rebuilding its capabilities. The elections are set for October.

A wide gap nevertheless remains between Washington and Tel Aviv over diplomacy.

The US administration believes the most effective blow against Hezbollah would be a political agreement with Lebanon and progress toward a peace treaty.

Washington views Israel’s emphasis on military action as benefiting Hezbollah and its Iranian backers by weakening the Lebanese government and state.

Iran has threatened in recent days to intervene if Israel continues operations in Ali al-Taher. The warning has made the Israeli military cautious about launching a ground assault on the underground command center.

Instead, it has maintained fire around the complex’s eight entrances, seeking to prevent those trapped inside from escaping and block reinforcements or relief, while cutting off water and electricity.

Israel’s public broadcaster Kan cited a source close to US Lt. Gen. Joseph Clearfield, who heads the committee overseeing the ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hezbollah, as saying Israel could seize the Ali al-Taher area and expand its military operations if Hezbollah does not halt its attacks.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said Tel Aviv would leave “no score unsettled” on any front and would defend its soldiers and citizens, amid reports of preparations for more strikes.

National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir called for a broader military escalation against Lebanon, saying Israel should do more than simply thwart threats.

He hoped Israel was heading toward an escalation with Lebanon, calling for an end to what he described as a “cat-and-mouse game,” and urged that strikes be expanded to Beirut.


Kushner to Hold Talks with Netanyahu after Rare Meeting with Hamas

FILE - Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, June 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, June 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
TT

Kushner to Hold Talks with Netanyahu after Rare Meeting with Hamas

FILE - Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, June 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
FILE - Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, June 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to meet Donald Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner on Monday, a day after he held a rare meeting with Hamas officials in Cairo, in a bid to push forward the US president's Gaza peace plan.

A diplomatic source said Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya was present at some of the meetings ‌that mediators held ‌with Kushner and Trump's Board ‌of ⁠Peace envoy for ⁠Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, in Cairo on Sunday, said Reuters.

It marks Kushner’s second known meeting with representatives of Hamas, the Palestinian militant group designated a terrorist movement by the United States.

Kushner previously met Hamas officials alongside US envoy Steve ⁠Witkoff in October 2025, helping clinch ‌a deal that ‌led to a ceasefire in Gaza and the ‌release of remaining hostages seized by Hamas in ‌the October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel.

Trump said in late July a deal was reached for the complete disarmament of Hamas and other ‌armed groups in Gaza.

But Netanyahu, who is seeking re-election at ⁠a ⁠vote due in October, has publicly rejected Trump's plan.

Trump had said the deal would be carried out in phases, with Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as disarmament proceeded and an International Stabilization Force working with a new Palestinian police force to secure the enclave.

Hamas has said it agreed to the plan but the deal's implementation would depend on Israel first meeting its own commitments, including withdrawal and halting attacks.