Washington Zigzags Between Rolling Out More Sanctions, Extending Waiver in Iran’s War

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Washington Zigzags Between Rolling Out More Sanctions, Extending Waiver in Iran’s War

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)

Alan Rappeport and Ephrat Livni*

With oil prices in mind, the administration of US President Donald Trump has deployed a haphazard approach to sanctions on Russia and Iran.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent declared in mid-April that the United States would not extend a waiver allowing the sale of Russian oil. Two days later, on a Friday evening, the Treasury Department quietly issued another 30-day reprieve.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the waiver, saying that “every dollar paid for Russian oil is money for the war.” Senate Democrats called the 180-degree reversal a “shameful” decision.

Then, on Friday, Bessent told The Associated Press that the United States did not plan to renew the waiver for sales of Russian oil another time. The current waiver ends on May 16.

The about-face on Russian oil sanctions underscored the haphazard state of US statecraft as the Trump administration confronts the fallout from the war it and Israel started with Iran.

While the United States could once use its financial might to cripple the economies of adversaries, countries such as Russia and Iran have been using their leverage in energy markets to fight back. That has forced the Treasury Department, which oversees the US sanctions program, to improvise.

The Trump administration rolled out a blitz of sanctions on Friday, targeting 40 shipping firms and vessels that it identified as part of Iran’s so-called shadow fleet of oil tankers as it broadened its efforts to cripple the Iranian economy.

The administration also imposed sanctions on an independent Chinese refinery, Hengli Petrochemical Refinery, which is one of Iran’s largest customers for crude oil and other petroleum products.

At a Senate hearing last week, Bessent said that the decision to extend the Russia license came after developing countries lobbied him to keep more Russian oil on the market while they were in Washington for the spring meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

“It was my belief we would not do it,” Bessent said, but added that poor countries have been struggling with the global shortfall of oil.

The White House and Treasury Department had no comment on whether the decision to continue easing the Russia sanctions came directly from Trump.

The sanctions relief has been filling Russia’s coffers with, by some estimates, as much as $200 million per day, undermining years of work by the US and Western allies that aimed to make it harder for Moscow to pay for its war in Ukraine.

“You don’t have to read ‘The Art of War’ to know that helping your adversaries gain money while you’re at war is a terrible idea,” Senator Chris Coons, Democrat of Delaware, said while questioning Bessent at the hearing on Wednesday. “No country has profited more from this war than Russia,” Coons added, noting that the country’s revenues also help support Iran militarily.

The strategy toward Iran has been equally muddled. The United States last month granted a 30-day exemption allowing the sale of Iranian oil, arguing that it would help curb global oil prices while preventing the Iranians from profiting by blocking the Strait of Hormuz.

But this month, the Trump administration changed course, letting the sanctions exemption expire and embarking on Operation Economic Fury, with new sanctions on Iran. The US military also extended its blockade on vessels coming in and out of Iranian ports to the waters of the wider world.

Bessent has likened the initiative to a financial bombing campaign.

Last week, he and Trump emphasized the economic pressures they are putting on Iran. They have argued that Iran will be unable to store any more oil in a matter of days and will be forced to shut its wells, leading to the wells’ possible eventual failure and driving economic collapse.

“It is a kind of whiplash in terms of policy,” said Jennifer Kavanagh, a senior fellow and director of military analysis at Defense Priorities, a foreign policy think tank in Washington. “This whole back and forth is evidence the Trump administration did not expect this to last this long.”

Previously, “the primary vector of pressure” was military action, and the expectation seemed to be that bombing would force Iran to capitulate, she said.

But as fighting has dragged on, raising the stakes of the war, the notion of military escalation became less palatable and Trump had already “escalated rhetorically to the maximum,” with his threat to wipe out Iranian civilization before a ceasefire, she said, leading to the focus on economics.

Iran complicated the US sanctions strategy by blocking the Strait of Hormuz, engaging in economic warfare by military means.

An analysis from Lloyd’s List, the shipping intelligence firm, noted that there are “signs of disruption to Iran’s shadow fleet operations” amid the global US blockade, with some tankers turning, diverting or pausing since its imposition. But vessel-tracking information also showed other Iran-linked tankers were actively sailing.

On Thursday, the Pentagon said US military forces stopped and boarded a second sanctioned tanker carrying oil from Iran in the Indian Ocean, following a similar interdiction on Tuesday.

“But blockades are not quick fixes,” Kavanagh said. She has argued that Iran can probably withstand the pressure because they work slowly.

The global blockade raises legal and operational questions because it has no geographical boundaries. And the United States can only seize so many ships, suggesting the practical impact could be “marginal,” she argued, while at the same time degrading the US reputation as an upholder of the international order, since many countries view such seizures as piracy.

Edward Fishman, a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, said that the haphazard use of sanctions by the United States reflects how economic and military warfare are merging. “We don't have a playbook for this kind of economic warfare, which may help explain some of the fumbling by the United States,” Fishman said.

*The New York Times



Torrential Rain and Floods Batter China, Killing at Least 12 and Forcing Mass Evacuations

Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
TT

Torrential Rain and Floods Batter China, Killing at Least 12 and Forcing Mass Evacuations

Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)

Torrential rain and floods hit parts of China this week, killing at least 12 people and forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate, state media reported.

State broadcaster CCTV reported on Wednesday five deaths and 11 people missing in Shimen County of Hunan province in central China after rain battered the region. A rescue operation is underway. By Tuesday evening, more than 19,000 had been relocated, Chinese official news agency Xinhua reported.

Xinhua said the county recorded a cumulative rainfall of 339 millimeters (about 13 inches) within a 24-hour period ending at 7 a.m. on Monday. One of its towns once received a rainfall of 240 millimeters (about 9 inches) within just a few hours, breaking historical records, it said.

In nearby Hubei province, some streets were turned into rivers and rescuers had to deploy inflatable boats to help stranded residents. Some houses were flooded or collapsed, Xinhua reported. Three people were killed and four others were missing as of Tuesday morning, it said.

CCTV on Tuesday also reported that heavy rain and floods have caused four deaths and left five others missing in Guizhou Province in southwestern China. In some areas, houses flooded, roads were damaged, and communications were disrupted, it said. One area had to relocate more than 3,700 people, Xinhua added.

Flood-induced casualties are common in China. Last July, rains and flooding killed dozens of people in Beijing.

Separately, 10 people were killed after a pickup truck fell off a bridge in the southern region of Guangxi on Saturday, Xinhua reported.


Ebola, Hantavirus Show World’s Risk Preparedness Lagging, Says Pandemic Expert

A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Ebola, Hantavirus Show World’s Risk Preparedness Lagging, Says Pandemic Expert

A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert warned Tuesday.

Over six years after the World Health Organization declared the Covid-19 pandemic, global efforts to revamp public health crisis response have improved the reaction to the hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks, said Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister and the co-chair of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response.

"The new international health regulations are working," she told AFP in an interview in Geneva.

As soon as the alert was sounded last Friday over the new Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and once the world learned a few weeks ago of the rare hantavirus outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship in the Atlantic, "the response has gone quite well", she said.

"Our issue is now really upstream from that," she said, insisting that far more work needed to go into identifying risks and how "these outbreaks get away".

"I think we need a lot more knowledge around risk-informed preparedness," she said, urging more focus on knowing your risk and "what could crop up", and "be ready to deal with that".

"Those basic issues of surveillance, early detection... We're not there yet."

Clark said the hantavirus species behind the cruise ship outbreak that triggered a global health scare after three people died was known to be endemic in the area of Argentina where the ship departed from.

"But we're not clear how much was known about that by ships who depart regularly from there," she said.

Meanwhile, the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola believed to have killed more than 130 people in a remote province of DRC seems to have spread under the radar for weeks, with tests focused on another strain showing up negative.

"How could this have gone for four to six weeks, ... spreading while not getting the testing results that we needed to show that it was a particular variant?" Clark asked.

She called for thorough investigation of "the chain of events here, and what we can learn from it, and what it says about the capacities we need".

- 'Perfect storm' -

Clark highlighted that the Ebola outbreak especially had laid bare the dire impact dramatic global aid cuts had on disease prevention efforts.

"There's a perfect storm," she warned, pointing to how countries had been "very suddenly expected to make up a lot of investment in the health system which previously came from donors".

"With the best will in the world, the poorest and most fragile countries just haven't got money sitting in the bank to do that, so things will get neglected across a range of areas."

Clark insisted that "global solidarity remains extremely important".

"We're talking global public goods," she stressed, pointing to a confirmed Ebola case in a US national and how hantavirus had "popped up in places where people (disembarked) from the ship".

"We're in this together, and so we have to look to ways of financing preparedness or response which reflect our shared interests."


Xi and Putin Meet to Reaffirm China-Russia Ties Days After Trump’s Visit to Beijing

 Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Xi and Putin Meet to Reaffirm China-Russia Ties Days After Trump’s Visit to Beijing

 Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)

Chinese leader Xi Jinping welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin in Beijing on Wednesday in a meeting meant to reaffirm ties and that takes place only days after a visit by US President Donald Trump to China.

Xi welcomed Putin with a ceremony at the Great Hall of the People. The two delegations later held bilateral talks, to be followed by a ceremony for signing cooperation agreements.

Putin’s visit comes just days after Trump’s own trip to Beijing – in a sequence that is meant to cement Beijing’s image as an influential superpower, experts say.

“The message is clearly one that China maintains friendship and strategic partnership with whichever power it likes, and the USA is just one of them,” said Steve Tsang, director of the SOAS China Institute at the University of London.

Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov said earlier that there was “no connection” between Trump and Putin’s visits, noting the trip by the Russian leader was agreed several days after Putin and Xi spoke via videoconference on Feb. 4.

The Russian and Chinese leaders are set to discuss energy and security as well as their overall ties. The two sides agreed to extend a friendship treaty first signed in 2001, Chinese state media reported.

China became Russia's top trading partner following after Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Beijing has said it is neutral in the conflict while maintaining trade ties with the Kremlin despite economic and financial sanctions by the US and Europe.

China is the top customer for Russian oil and gas supplies, and Moscow expects the war in Iran to increase the demand. China also has ignored demands from the West to stop providing high-tech components for Russia’s weapons industries.

Ushakov said Russia’s oil exports to China grew by 35% in the first quarter of 2026 and that Russia is one of the biggest exporters of natural gas to China.

During “the crisis in the Middle East,” Russia remains a reliable energy supplier and China is a “responsible consumer,” Ushakov said.

Putin noted earlier this month that Moscow and Beijing have reached “a very substantial step forward in our cooperation in the oil and gas sector.”

“Practically all the key issues have been agreed upon,” he said. “If we succeed in finalizing these details and bringing them to a conclusion during this visit, I will be extremely pleased.”

Putin also praised their bilateral relationship as a crucial, balancing force in international relations.

“Interaction between such nations as China and Russia undoubtedly serves as a factor of deterrence and stability,” he said.

Moscow welcomes China’s dialogue with the US as another stabilizing element for the global economy, Putin added.

“We stand only to benefit from this, from the stability and constructive engagement between the US and China,” he said.