Trump Warns 'Won't be Anything Left' of Iran Unless it Agrees to Deal

US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
TT

Trump Warns 'Won't be Anything Left' of Iran Unless it Agrees to Deal

US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)
US President Donald Trump waves after stepping off Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP)

President Donald Trump on Sunday warned Iran "there won't be anything left of them," if Teheran does not quickly agree to a peace deal with the United States.

"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

"TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"

Trump is expected to hold a ‌Situation ‌Room ​meeting ‌on ⁠Tuesday ​with his top ⁠national security advisers to ⁠discuss ‌the options ‌for military ​action ‌regarding ‌Iran, Axios reported on ‌Sunday, citing two US officials.

Iranian media that the US had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran's proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.



Israel at ‘Peak Readiness’ for Possible Renewed Conflict with Iran

President Donald Trump answers a question from a reporter at the end of a news conference with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago, Dec. 29, 2025, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP)
President Donald Trump answers a question from a reporter at the end of a news conference with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago, Dec. 29, 2025, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP)
TT

Israel at ‘Peak Readiness’ for Possible Renewed Conflict with Iran

President Donald Trump answers a question from a reporter at the end of a news conference with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago, Dec. 29, 2025, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP)
President Donald Trump answers a question from a reporter at the end of a news conference with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Mar-a-Lago, Dec. 29, 2025, in Palm Beach, Fla. (AP)

US President Donald Trump may order renewed limited military strikes against Iran amid what appears to be a deadlock in talks between the Chinese and US presidents last week in Beijing and the American leader’s growing frustration with Tehran.

On Saturday, Israeli officials said the military is at “peak readiness” for renewed conflict, according to Yedioth Ahronoth’s military correspondent Itamar Eichner.

Sources in Israel said US administration officials had hoped Beijing would pressure Tehran into a compromise following Trump’s talks with President Xi Jinping last week.

Eichner said assessments in Israel suggest Trump is unlikely to go “all in” with an order to renew fighting aimed at toppling the Iranian regime.

The assassination of Iranian top leaders did not lead to the collapse of the regime, while China will not really help Trump convince Tehran to accept his demands in an agreement.

The newspaper said Israel and the US are conducting intensive preparations for a possible resumption of fighting, with coordination taking place at the highest levels of the Israeli army and the Mossad.

On Sunday, Trump spoke by phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and discussed Iran, Axios reported.

Eichner wrote that the assessment is that Iran will attempt to stall with the US so that any military confrontation drags on until after the start of the FIFA World Cup tournament on June 11.

Trump, by contrast, would prefer to end the conflict before the tournament begins, with the US hosting the event alongside Canada and Mexico.

According to the newspaper, Israeli assessments suggest Trump will likely settle for a limited strike, such as attacks on power stations and bridges.

From the American perspective, this would lead to significant damage to Iran. Trump may also authorize a ground operation, although officials say he is wary of becoming entangled in a broader conflict.

Meanwhile, Israeli officials said they believe the chances of renewed fighting in the coming days stand at 50 percent, underscoring how much depends on the decision of one man alone, Eichner wrote.

At the same time, Netanyahu has avoided convening the broader cabinet over the past week. Officials suggested this may be an effort to lull the enemy into complacency.

Eyal Zisser, a right-wing theorist, said there is a prevailing fear that Trump has had enough and might cut a deal with Iran at any cost, acting as a potential capitulation to Iranian demands.


Trump Issues Dire Warning to Iran to Accept Peace Deal

 People walk past a mural depicting a US aircraft carrier under missile attack in downtown Tehran, Iran, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP)
People walk past a mural depicting a US aircraft carrier under missile attack in downtown Tehran, Iran, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Trump Issues Dire Warning to Iran to Accept Peace Deal

 People walk past a mural depicting a US aircraft carrier under missile attack in downtown Tehran, Iran, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP)
People walk past a mural depicting a US aircraft carrier under missile attack in downtown Tehran, Iran, Sunday, May 17, 2026. (AP)

President Donald Trump issued a fresh warning to Iran on Sunday, saying it had to move quickly towards a peace deal or "there won't be anything left of them."

Washington, locked in conflict with Tehran since US and Israeli forces launched major strikes on the country beginning February 28, has struggled to break an impasse and make any progress toward ending a war that has shaken the Middle East and sent energy prices climbing.

"For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. "TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"

The war has led to an effective blockade of the critical Strait of Hormuz, through which some 20 percent of global oil exports pass in peacetime, and has drawn neighbors Israel and Lebanon into a deadly side conflict.

Iran's clerical state, Hezbollah's patron, has demanded a lasting ceasefire in Lebanon before any broader peace agreement with Trump, who has been frustrated by Tehran's refusal to accept a deal on his terms.

An Israeli military official said Sunday that Hezbollah had fired around 200 projectiles at Israel and its troops over the weekend, despite Israel and Lebanon agreeing to extend a ceasefire.

Lebanon's health ministry said new Israeli strikes Sunday on the country's south killed five people, including two children.

Israeli attacks since the start of the war have killed more than 2,900 people in Lebanon, including 400 since the truce began on April 17, according to Lebanese authorities.

- 'No tangible concessions' -

Washington and Tehran agreed to a truce on April 8, but peace negotiations have stalled and sporadic attacks have continued.

On Sunday, Iranian media said the United States had failed to make any concrete concessions in its latest response to Iran's proposed agenda for negotiations to end the war.

The Fars news agency said Washington had presented a five-point list which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

Washington also refused to release "even 25 percent" of Iran's frozen assets abroad or pay any reparations for the damage inflicted on Iran during the war, according to Fars.

The Mehr news agency, meanwhile, said: "The United States, offering no tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations."

Sunday saw more unrest in parts of the region. A drone strike triggered a fire near a nuclear power station in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, authorities said, reporting no injuries or impact on radiation levels.

Iranian-backed armed groups equipped with drones are based in Iraq, while Tehran's allies in Yemen -- the Houthi militants -- also possess combat-grade UAVs.

Pakistan has been actively mediating in the peace talks between Iran and the United States, and its Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met Sunday in Tehran with Iran's chief negotiator and speaker of parliament, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

In a social media post following the talks, Ghalibaf said the US and Israeli war with Iran had destabilized the entire Middle East.

"Some governments in the region believed that the presence of the United States would bring them security, but recent events showed that this presence is not only incapable of providing security, but also creates the grounds for insecurity," he said.

Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping discussed Iran during their high-stakes summit earlier this week, but there appeared to be little headway on Iran.

Trump said Xi assured him that China was not preparing military aid to Iran, while the Chinese foreign ministry said Friday in a statement on Iran that "shipping lanes should be reopened as soon as possible."


Report: US Weighs Drone Threat from Cuba

 A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Report: US Weighs Drone Threat from Cuba

 A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)

Cuba has obtained more than 300 military drones and recently began discussing plans to use them to attack the US base at Guantanamo Bay, US military vessels and possibly even Florida, Axios reported Sunday, citing classified intelligence.

The report comes as tensions simmer between Washington and Havana, amid growing speculation that the United States is weighing military action against the communist-run island.

The Trump administration is concerned because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisors in Havana, Axios cited a senior US official as saying.

"When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the unnamed official was quoted as saying. "It's a growing threat."

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and is seeking to buy more, US officials told Axios.

Havana slammed the report, with Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accusing the United States of baselessly plotting for its next war.

"With no legitimate excuse whatsoever, the US government is, day after day, building a fraudulent case to justify a ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and an eventual military aggression," Rodriguez wrote on X.

"Cuba does not threaten or desire war. It defends peace and is readying and preparing itself to confront external aggression in the exercise of the right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the UN Charter," he added.

The report comes days after CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana, where Cubans have been enduring constant power outages prompted by President Donald Trump's fuel blockade.

According to Axios, Ratcliffe warned officials in Havana against engaging in hostilities.

"Director Ratcliffe made clear that Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere," Axios quoted an unnamed CIA official as saying.

The communist island has been in a standoff with successive US administrations since the 1960s, and the southern state of Florida hosts a large, politically influential Cuban exile community.

Earlier this month Trump said the United States would be "taking over" the Caribbean island, only around 90 miles (145 km) from Florida, "almost immediately."

He has also said, following the US military operation to depose Venezuela's longtime leader Nicolas Maduro, that Cuba will be next.

US media also reported that US authorities are seeking to indict Raul Castro, the 94-year-old brother of late Cuban leader Fidel Castro.