Boeing Dreamliner to Fly Riyadh Air's First Passengers in July

A Riyadh Air aircraft flies over the Saudi capital, Riyadh (Public Investment Fund)
A Riyadh Air aircraft flies over the Saudi capital, Riyadh (Public Investment Fund)
TT

Boeing Dreamliner to Fly Riyadh Air's First Passengers in July

A Riyadh Air aircraft flies over the Saudi capital, Riyadh (Public Investment Fund)
A Riyadh Air aircraft flies over the Saudi capital, Riyadh (Public Investment Fund)

Riyadh Air, Saudi Arabia’s new national carrier wholly owned by the Public Investment Fund, is moving onto the global aviation stage through London, with an ambition that goes beyond conventional air travel.

The carrier, which reflects the Kingdom’s view of aviation as a strategic industry and economic driver, said it would open tickets to the public for direct flights between King Khalid International Airport and Heathrow Airport on its new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner fleet from July 1, 2026.

The move is part of plans to connect Saudi Arabia to more than 100 destinations by 2030.

It follows the airline’s launch last year of its first daily flights to Heathrow, when tickets were initially available to selected groups of passengers and Riyadh Air employees under an operational program designed to ensure full readiness before the carrier receives its first aircraft from Boeing.

The program also allowed the airline to use its newly allocated operating slots at Heathrow.

Riyadh Air said bookings would open from Tuesday through its website, official app and approved travel service providers.

Travel classes

Chief Executive Tony Douglas said the launch of flights on the new aircraft marked a “milestone” for Riyadh Air and reflected its vision to redefine air travel and connect Riyadh to the world through comfort, innovation and Saudi hospitality.

The airline said its Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft would feature four travel classes, Business Elite, Business, Premium Economy and Economy. The two business cabins will include seats that convert into fully flat beds.

Passengers will also have access to advanced entertainment systems through Panasonic Avionics’ Astrova platform, with 4K screens, Bluetooth connectivity and a library of more than 500 films and 600 television series.

Riyadh Air said its hospitality offering would include products from Kayanee, children’s kits in cooperation with Disney, varied menus and bedding from John Horsfall.

The airline also announced the launch of Sfeer, its loyalty program, offering benefits including a “best offer guarantee,” no expiry of points, free in-flight internet and exclusive privileges for founding members.

Aviation specialists said opening ticket sales to passengers marks a new phase for Saudi Arabia’s aviation sector.

The government has set a national strategy to turn the Kingdom into a global aviation logistics hub by doubling capacity to 330 million passengers, linking it to 250 international destinations and raising air cargo capacity to 4.5 million tons by 2030.

Tourism and business traffic

Tourism media expert Mohammed al-Abdulkarim told Asharq Al-Awsat that Riyadh Air’s announcement of the start date for its first commercial flights, along with the official launch of ticket sales from July, was a pivotal step in the transformation of Saudi aviation.

He said it reflected faster implementation of the national aviation strategy under Vision 2030.

Abdulkarim said choosing July 1 for the entry into service of the carrier’s first new B787-9 aircraft showed Riyadh Air was ready to move from building and preparation into actual operations.

The start of ticket sales through the airline’s official platforms, he said, reflected operational confidence and early readiness to enter the international aviation market.

He said launching the first route between Riyadh and London carried major strategic and economic significance. London is one of the world’s biggest centers for business, tourism and air transit, he said, and the route shows Saudi Arabia’s early focus on a high-yield international network directly linked to major global markets.

Raising capacity

Abdulkarim said Riyadh Air’s ownership of four B787-9 aircraft now in the final stages of operational certification showed a push to build a modern fleet focused on efficiency, passenger experience and advanced technology.

That, he said, is essential for competing in the global aviation market, especially after the rapid changes the sector has seen since the pandemic.

He said the entry of a new national carrier of this scale would strengthen Saudi Arabia’s capacity, raise the competitiveness of its air transport sector regionally and internationally, and support tourism, investment, logistics and supply chains.

“The Kingdom is not only targeting higher passenger numbers, but is working to reshape its position as a global aviation hub linking three continents,” he said.

“With new airport projects, expanded air connectivity and the launch of modern carriers, Saudi Arabia is moving toward becoming one of the region’s most important transport and travel hubs in the coming years.”

Competing with major airlines

Aviation expert Al Motaz Al-Mirah said the launch of Riyadh Air’s first tickets showed Saudi Arabia’s strong confidence in the future of aviation.

He said the project is starting with a global vision and modern services aimed at competing with major international airlines, while choosing London as the first destination gives the new carrier a strong presence on one of the world’s most important international travel routes.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Al-Mirah said the move was a practical step toward achieving Saudi Arabia’s aviation strategy.

It was not only about adding destinations and flights, he said, but about building an integrated travel experience that strengthens Riyadh’s position as a global air transport hub.

He said the move was expected to support tourism and investment and raise the kingdom’s competitiveness in aviation in the coming years.



Foreign Investors Consolidate their Bets on Saudi Arabia as Economic Reforms Gather Pace

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh. (SPA)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Foreign Investors Consolidate their Bets on Saudi Arabia as Economic Reforms Gather Pace

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh. (SPA)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh. (SPA)

Saudi Arabia is no longer just an oil-price bet for global investors. It is becoming a core emerging-market play. That is the view of Emmanuel Laurina, head of Middle East, Africa, and official institutions at State Street, one of the world’s major financial services and asset management firms.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Laurina said a structural shift is reshaping how global institutions view the Kingdom, and why State Street is placing a major bet on its market.

Laurina explained that Saudi Arabia has moved from an oil-linked allocation to a central component of emerging-market portfolios.

The shift is being driven by a broader range of investable sectors, particularly finance, energy, and raw materials, giving investors real diversification in a world where many emerging markets are dominated by technology, he stressed.

Saudi Arabia’s inclusion in major global equity and bond indexes has helped anchor foreign inflows and strengthen the market’s role in international allocations, he said. Vision 2030 reforms have also widened opportunities beyond oil.

What is drawing investors now?

Laurina said market liberalization and the opening of share trading to foreign investors through the development of the Saudi Exchange, Tadawul, have helped attract liquidity and deepen international participation.

He also pointed to Saudi Arabia’s push into artificial intelligence and digital infrastructure as the Kingdom seeks strategic partnerships with major global technology companies.

In fixed income, Laurina said Saudi government bonds carry a strong A+ credit rating and offer a positive yield spread over US Treasuries, making them attractive for investors seeking dollar-denominated diversification.

Access has also improved sharply, he said. The abolition of the qualified foreign investor regime and the shift toward direct ownership of listed securities mark a major step forward.

Still, some structural limits remain. These include foreign ownership caps at individual and aggregate levels, and the need to trade through local brokers. Laurina said the listing of foreign exchange-traded funds in the Kingdom remains only partly developed because Saudi Arabia’s domestic market-making ecosystem is still limited.

New fund targets Saudi equities

Laurina said State Street recently launched an exchange-traded fund in partnership with the Saudi Public Investment Fund, giving international investors access to Saudi equities through a systematic active strategy that seeks to beat the benchmark across full market cycles.

The launch reflects rising client demand and a clear shift in the Saudi market’s composition, away from oil stocks and toward sectors such as healthcare, utilities and technology, he went to say.

ETFs, he said, are only one part of a wider ecosystem that includes institutional mandates, strategic partnerships, index-driven flows and growing activity in private markets, especially in Vision 2030 priority sectors.

Laurina said the Middle East and Africa are central to State Street’s future growth strategy.

The strategy rests on three pillars: building institutional asset classes in the Middle East and North Africa, internationalizing Sharia-compliant portfolios, and meeting growing demand for regionally focused investment solutions.

Riyadh became State Street’s 11th global investment center in 2024, he said, as the company continues to expand its local investment and research team.

Laurina said Saudi Arabia is now a pivotal market and a key growth engine in State Street’s Middle East and Africa strategy.


Standard Chartered CEO Seeks to Reassure Staff over AI-linked Job Cuts

FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
TT

Standard Chartered CEO Seeks to Reassure Staff over AI-linked Job Cuts

FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa
FILED - 11 January 2012, China, Hong Kong: FILE PHOTO - A general view of the facade of Standard Chartered Bank branch in Hong Kong. Photo: Jens Kalaene/dpa-Zentralbild/dpa

Standard Chartered CEO Bill Winters sought to assuage staff concerns on Wednesday, a day after saying that the bank will cut thousands of jobs over the next four years as it moves to replace "lower-value human capital" with technology.

"Many of you will have seen media coverage following the Investor Event in Hong Kong, particularly the reporting around automation, AI, and workforce changes," Winters said in a memo to the bank's ⁠staff reviewed by ⁠Reuters.

"I know this may be unsettling when reduced to simple headlines or a quote out of context," he said.

A spokesperson for the bank confirmed the memo's content.

StanChart said on Tuesday it would cut 15% of ⁠its corporate function roles by 2030, which, according to a Reuters calculation, would result in nearly 8,000 redundancies out of its more than 52,000 staff in such roles.

The bank cited AI as a driver to slim its operations in its quest to increase profitability and tackle competition.

"It's not cost-cutting. It's replacing in some cases lower-value human capital with the financial capital ⁠and ⁠the investment capital we're putting in," Winters said on Tuesday.

In his memo to staff on Wednesday, Winters said the bank had been open that its workforce will evolve.

"Some roles will reduce in number, some will change, and new opportunities will emerge. We will continue to prioritize investment in reskilling and redeployment wherever we can," he said.

"Where changes do happen, we will handle them with thought and care," he added.


Ukraine Ally Britain Eases Sanctions on Russian Oil as Fuel Prices Surge Over Iran Conflict

A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
TT

Ukraine Ally Britain Eases Sanctions on Russian Oil as Fuel Prices Surge Over Iran Conflict

A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)
A seized suspected Russian oil taker by the French navy is photographed in the Mediterranean Sea in Fos-sur-Mer, southern France, on Jan. 26, 2026. (AP)

The UK government has quietly watered down sanctions on Russian oil in an effort to shelter Britons from the cost-of-living squeeze triggered by the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

A trade license that came into effect Wednesday permits the import of Russian oil that has been refined into jet fuel and diesel in third countries, such as India and Türkiye.

The US-Israeli war on Iran and Iran's closure of the strait, through which about a fifth of the world's oil usually passes, has sent fuel prices soaring around the world and sparked concerns about a shortage of jet fuel.

UK Treasury minister Dan Tomlinson said the changes are “for a time limited period and on a very specific issue.”

Britain has been one of Ukraine's strongest allies since Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022, and the government insist its sanctions against Russia remain among the toughest in the world.

But lawmaker Emily Thornberry, who chairs Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, said Ukrainians would “feel very let down” by the move. She said Ukraine’s allies should keep squeezing Russia’s oil industry, because it “is absolutely crippling their economy.”

The US has also eased Russian sanctions. Earlier this week, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent extended a 30-day sanctions waiver allowing the purchase of Russian oil shipments already at sea.

On Tuesday, finance ministers from the US, Britain and the other Group of Seven wealthy nations issued a joint statement reaffirming “our unwavering commitment to continue to impose severe costs on Russia in response to its continued aggression against Ukraine.”