Lebanese Accuse Israel of Wiping their Towns Off the Map

(COMBO) This combination of handout satellite images taken by Planet Labs PBC shows views of the village of Yarun in southern Lebanon close to the border with Israel on (top L to R followed by bottom L to R) October 5, 2024; January 10, 2025; January 30, 2025; and on May 2, 2026. (Photo by 2026 Planet Labs PBC / AFP)
(COMBO) This combination of handout satellite images taken by Planet Labs PBC shows views of the village of Yarun in southern Lebanon close to the border with Israel on (top L to R followed by bottom L to R) October 5, 2024; January 10, 2025; January 30, 2025; and on May 2, 2026. (Photo by 2026 Planet Labs PBC / AFP)
TT

Lebanese Accuse Israel of Wiping their Towns Off the Map

(COMBO) This combination of handout satellite images taken by Planet Labs PBC shows views of the village of Yarun in southern Lebanon close to the border with Israel on (top L to R followed by bottom L to R) October 5, 2024; January 10, 2025; January 30, 2025; and on May 2, 2026. (Photo by 2026 Planet Labs PBC / AFP)
(COMBO) This combination of handout satellite images taken by Planet Labs PBC shows views of the village of Yarun in southern Lebanon close to the border with Israel on (top L to R followed by bottom L to R) October 5, 2024; January 10, 2025; January 30, 2025; and on May 2, 2026. (Photo by 2026 Planet Labs PBC / AFP)

Lebanese mother-of-two Hala Farah is collecting photos and videos to preserve the memory of her hometown which, like many others along the southern border, has been completely destroyed by Israeli forces.

Testimony from residents and officials, as well as satellite images and photographs taken by AFP journalists on both sides of the border, show widespread destruction in dozens of Lebanese towns and villages since the start of the Israel-Hezbollah war on March 2.

Responding to Hezbollah's attacks, Israel carried out massive airstrikes and launched a ground invasion in the south, which borders Israel and where the Iran-backed movement holds sway.

While a ceasefire began on April 17, the destruction, demolitions and bulldozing in southern areas have only intensified, affecting homes, infrastructure, schools, places of worship and farmland.

Israel's army, which sometimes issued evacuation warnings ahead of strikes, has repeatedly said its attacks target Hezbollah sites and operatives -- not civilians.

But Farah, 33, said everything in her hometown Yarun, less than a kilometer (mile) from Israel, has been destroyed.

"All that's left are memories and some pictures that we and the neighbors are trying to collect... so that we can tell our children what Yarun was like," she told AFP.

"I had hoped my daughters would grow up in the family home," she said, wearing a pin showing her village.

Yarun has found itself on the front line before: satellite images seen by AFP show it had been mostly destroyed by early 2025 following the previous Israel-Hezbollah war, with its Saint George church left with only three walls standing.

Other medium-resolution images, taken earlier this month and reviewed by AFP, show that what had previously been spared is now gone.

- Reduced to rubble -

Unable to return to the south, some displaced families are sharing the cost of purchasing satellite images -- at $140 -- to catch a glimpse of their hometowns.

Some post images of their homes on social media, taken before and after their destruction.

Among them is an anti-Hezbollah activist whose grandfather's three-storey home in the city of Nabatieh was wrecked in an Israeli strike.

A veteran writer meanwhile mourned his book collection in the border town of Bint Jbeil.

"Israel is trying to remove all the essential elements of life necessary for return," said Farah, who learned through satellite imagery that her house in Yarun, a town where both Christians and Muslims lived, was now rubble.

Her voice broke as she scrolled through dozens of photos and videos on her phone.

"What happened during the truce confirms that Israel's goal is the urbicide of the south, including Yarun," she said.

Environment Minister Tamara Zein last month also accused Israel of committing an "urbicide" in the area, using a term which means the deliberate destruction of urban areas.

Israel occupied south Lebanon until the year 2000, and Hezbollah has insisted it must retain its arsenal, despite a Lebanese government push to reclaim the monopoly of force.

While the majority of the south is Shia, Farah said Israel's demolitions in Yarun have included "the church hall, a convent and the Saint George school".

Around six kilometers (four miles) north of Yarun, satellite images from early April showed no sign of major damage in Bint Jbeil, an ancient hilltop town that had become a Hezbollah bastion.

A month later, the town appeared to have been razed almost entirely, including the stadium where slain Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah delivered his "liberation" speech in 2000 to mark the withdrawal of Israeli forces.

- 'Destroy the land' -

At Lebanon's government-linked National Council for Scientific Research (CNRS) in Beirut, research director Chadi Abdallah showed AFP journalists before and after images of Bint Jbeil.

"Most buildings in Bint Jbeil are destroyed," he said, with most demolitions and detonations occurring since the truce.

"The Israelis are not conducting military or clearing operations; they are entering to destroy the land, the people, and the infrastructure," he said.

The agriculture ministry estimated this month that Israeli attacks have damaged more than 560 square kilometers of farmland.

"They are trying to erase the memory of the people in this region and to erase its history," said Abdallah.

According to the CNRS, Israeli attacks since 2023 have destroyed more than 290,000 housing units, 61,000 of them since the start of the latest war.

Among them, some 12,000 units were completely or partially destroyed since the truce began.

Lebanese officials say Israeli attacks have killed more than 3,000 people since Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war in support of Iran after Israeli strikes killed Iran’s supreme leader.

"Lebanon is witnessing such destruction for the first time in its history," said researcher Hanaa Jaber, who has roots in Bint Jbeil.

More than a million people displaced from the south face an "uprooting... with terrible repercussions," she said.

- 'Life support' -

Others, like Imad Bazzi from Bint Jbeil, spoke to AFP about the loss of their life's work.

"There is a total annihilation of... Bint Jbeil, from residential buildings and water and electricity institutions to the hospital, and even schools and gas stations," said Bazzi, 60, a municipal councilor and owner of an engineering firm that was destroyed.

"What is happening today is a blatant change of geography. It is systematic destruction."

Israel, whose soldiers are operating inside a self-declared "yellow line" that runs around 10 kilometers north of the border, says it is protecting its communities from Hezbollah attacks.

Lebanon and Israel began their first direct talks in decades last month in Washington, and Farah, the woman from Yarun, hopes for a positive outcome.

"We hope this will be the last war, because our villages in the south... are currently on life support," she said.

"We hope the Israelis will withdraw from every inch of our land and let us... create new memories for our children, erasing the echoes of the strikes that still ring in their ears."



US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
TT

US Hits Hezbollah with Fresh Sanctions, Says Iran Controls it

FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A general view of the US Department Of The Treasury on day two of a partial government shutdown in Washington, D.C., US, February 1, 2026. REUTERS/Ken Cedeno/File Photo

The United States announced new sanctions Thursday against a Hezbollah financing network, while highlighting the Lebanese armed group's close ties to Iran's Revolutionary Guards.

Hezbollah's legal designation as a terrorist organization has been amended to note that it operates in "service to the Iranian regime under the command of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps," particularly the elite Quds Force, the Treasury Department said in a statement.

The new redesignation "specifies that Hezbollah is an Iranian proxy, not a stand-alone operation as implied by the previous designation," a State Department official said.

"This underscores that Hezbollah operates with little to no regard for Lebanese sovereignty, the Lebanese people, or the Lebanese state."

Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the broader Middle East war in March with rocket fire at Israel in support of its backer Iran.

Israel responded with a heavy air campaign and ground invasion that Lebanese authorities say have killed more than 4,300 people.

"This action builds on years of US designations that have repeatedly documented the operational, financial, and logistical integration between Hezbollah and the IRGC-QF," the State Department official said, calling Hezbollah "an extension" of the latter.

"It is not a Lebanese resistance movement," as Hezbollah describes itself, the official said.

The new sanctions target 10 people who are allegedly part of a network that transfers cash to Hezbollah, which has already been punished with US sanctions many times, the Treasury statement said.

The network utilizes couriers travelling on commercial airline flights “to move up to hundreds of millions of dollars between jurisdictions, providing an avenue outside the formal financial system for Hezbollah to obtain foreign currency and evade sanctions," the statement said.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said earlier on Thursday that he would hold a press conference on Monday about "the toughest sanctions in history" that Washington plans to impose on Iran.

He said that a plan to sharply increase pain from economic sanctions on Iran aims to "collapse" the country's government.

"It is going to work in Iran and we are going to collapse this regime," he told CNBC. "This is going to be the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world."


Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
TT

Arab League Chief Condemns Israeli Violations in Palestinian, Syrian, Lebanese Territories

Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)
Arab League headquarters in Cairo (The League's official Facebook page)

Secretary-General of the Arab League Nabil Fahmy denounced Israel’s violations against Palestinian, Syrian, and Lebanese territories saying they cannot be viewed as isolated incidents or justified by fabricated security claims.

He said these actions reflect a persistent approach marked by the use of force, the imposition of a fait accompli, and violations of states' sovereignty and territorial integrity, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday.

In a statement, Fahmy asserted that Israel continues to act as a state that disregards international law. He called on the UN Security Council and the international community to take responsibility and implement practical measures to stop these violations and end the policy of impunity.

Fahmy underscored that Israel's actions not only threaten countries in the region but also undermine the credibility of the international legal order. He said they reinforce the notion that force can serve as an alternative to international legitimacy.


Abdi Announces Completion of SDF’s Civil, Military Integration with Damascus

(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
TT

Abdi Announces Completion of SDF’s Civil, Military Integration with Damascus

(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)
(FILES) Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander-in-chief Mazloum Abdi, speaks during a press conference in Syria's northeastern city of Hasakeh on December 6, 2024. (Photo by Delil SOULEIMAN / AFP)

The integration of the Kurdish administration within Syria's state institutions is now complete, Syrian Kurdish leader Mazloum Abdi said on Thursday.

The announcement follows months of negotiations between the two sides after a January agreement that called for the full integration of Kurdish civil and military institutions into the state -- a move Washington deemed "historic.”

"I want to say that the phase of integrating military, security and administrative institutions into national state institutions is complete and finished," Abdi, who heads the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, said at an event in Qamishli in northeastern Syria.

"From now on, we begin a new phase," he added.

"Our struggle will continue, to cement our people's rights in the constitution."

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa shakes hands with Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), in Damascus on March 10, 2025 (SANA)

The January agreement, signed by Abdi and Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, followed clashes between Syrian Kurdish fighters and the new authorities' forces that saw the Kurds lose swathes of territory they held in the oil-rich north and northeast.

Amid the violence, al-Sharaa signed on January 16 a decree enshrining the Kurds' national rights and recognizing Kurdish as a national language.

A photo showing SDF Commander Mazloum Abdi with his fighters wearing the military uniform of the Syrian Ministry of Defense as part of the integration steps last February (social media)

In February, Noureddine Ahmed Eissa, a Kurd from the city of Qamishli, was appointed governor of Hasakeh. In March, senior Kurdish military official Sipan Hamo was appointed regional assistant defense minister.

As part of the deal's implementation, government forces entered the cities of Hasakeh and Qamishli, and Damascus took over the management of Qamishli airport and key oil fields.

US troops also transferred more than 5,700 ISIS detainees in previously Kurdish-controlled camps to neighboring Iraq.