Iran World Cup Squad Heads to Mexico as US Visa Row Erupts

Iran's Mehdi Torabi, right, poses for a photo with fans after a friendly soccer match between Iran and Mali, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, Thursday, June 4, 2026, ahead of the World Cup soccer tournament. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Iran's Mehdi Torabi, right, poses for a photo with fans after a friendly soccer match between Iran and Mali, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, Thursday, June 4, 2026, ahead of the World Cup soccer tournament. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
TT

Iran World Cup Squad Heads to Mexico as US Visa Row Erupts

Iran's Mehdi Torabi, right, poses for a photo with fans after a friendly soccer match between Iran and Mali, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, Thursday, June 4, 2026, ahead of the World Cup soccer tournament. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)
Iran's Mehdi Torabi, right, poses for a photo with fans after a friendly soccer match between Iran and Mali, in Antalya, southern Türkiye, Thursday, June 4, 2026, ahead of the World Cup soccer tournament. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)

Iran lashed out at the United States on Saturday for refusing visas to some of its World Cup squad support staff as the players were to leave Türkiye for Mexico.

The row erupted just days before the June 11 start of the 2026 World Cup, which is being jointly hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

The Iranian players, who have been at a training camp in the southern Turkish resort of Antalya since May 18, received their visas late on Friday, Washington's envoy to Türkiye Tom Barrack said on X, hailing the work of the US embassy in Ankara in "processing visas for Iran's national football team".

But Iran's embassy to Türkiye hit back Saturday with a furious response, saying a "large" number of managerial and executive staff and others had been denied visas.

"You have now escalated the deliberate and discriminatory treatment against Iran's national football team to its highest level," the embassy wrote on X.

"FIFA must hold the US accountable for violations of its rules and for the discriminatory treatment of Iran's national football team."

Iran's Football Federation, whose chief Mehdi Taj was reportedly among those denied a visa, also hit out, describing the decision as "political interference in sport in its worst form".

"By extending its hostile behaviour towards the Iranian nation into the field of sport, the ... US government has deprived Iran's national team of.. the opportunity to compete without discrimination," it said, pledging to pursue the matter with FIFA.

Iranian state TV's correspondent in Antalya said the players and their technical staff had received visas, but 15 others on the administrative and management side had not.

It said the matter would be followed up in Mexico.

In April, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said any problem would not be with the Iranian players but "some of the other people (they) would want to bring with them", suggesting they may have ties to the Revolutionary Guards, a group on the US terror blacklist.

Taj himself is a former Guards member, Iranian media in the diaspora have said.

Team Melli were scheduled to leave Antalya for Mexico on a 3:20 pm (1220 GMT) flight that Taj said earlier this week would include a stopover in Spain before arriving in Mexico early on Sunday.

But Iran's state TV gave a later departure time of 5:30 pm.

The team will be based in the northwestern border city of Tijuana for the duration of the tournament, but all three of their group stage matches are due to be held in the United States.

Iran, who are in Group G, will play New Zealand and Belgium in Los Angeles on June 15 and 21, followed by a game against Egypt in Seattle on June 26.

Ahead of their departure on Saturday, Iran played a final friendly against Mali in Antalya on Thursday which they won 2-0. They played a first match on May 29, beating Gambia 3-1.



Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
TT

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the US Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title.

Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati that serve as a warmup for the US Open.

The 25-year-old Italian wrote Friday that he won't be ready when the main draw begins on Aug. 30.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner wrote in a post on X.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

Sinner was the 2024 US Open champion and lost to Carlos Alcaraz in last year's final.

Alcaraz posted on social media on Thursday that he would be ready to play in New York after he has been out of action since April because of a right wrist injury.

The rivalry between those two has dominated men's tennis in recent years, and they met in the last three Grand Slam finals in 2025. Alcaraz took the most recent one with his four-set victory in New York.

That ended Sinner's title reign after he beat Taylor Fritz in straight sets in the 2024 final.

Sinner is 44-3 with six titles this year. He had a stunning collapse at the French Open, blowing a two-set lead while struggling in the heat in his second-round match against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. He then sat out until Wimbledon, where his victory gave him five Grand Slam titles.

It will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the US Open in 2019.


Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Manchester City boss Enzo Maresca has suffered a blow on the eve of the Premier League season after Belgium winger Jeremy Doku was ruled out for several weeks.

Doku will miss City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth with a calf injury and is unlikely to return for up to three weeks.

The 24-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of City's 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Community Shield in Cardiff last weekend, AFP reported.

Doku's absence is a significant setback for former Chelsea boss Maresca as he starts his first season in charge at City after replacing Pep Guardiola in the close-season.

"At the moment the only one out is Jeremy Doku," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"Unfortunately in the last game, at half-time, he was complaining about a little bit of pain in his calf.

"The idea with him was to play 45 minutes anyway, so the change was planned, but at the moment it looks like two or three weeks, no more than that."

After hosting Bournemouth, Maresca's side travel to Crystal Palace, then face Coventry before the derby at Manchester United.

 

 

 

 


Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Real Madrid Star Players Are Compatible, Says Mourinho

Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)
Real Madrid's head coach Jose Mourinho attends a press conference prior to the training session of the team in Madrid, Spain, 21 August 2026. (EPA)

New Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho on Friday insisted his team's star players could fit together ahead of Los Blancos' opening La Liga game at Espanyol.

Mourinho's predecessors Carlo Ancelotti, Xabi Alonso and Alvaro Arbeloa struggled to strike a balance between attack and defense while lining up with Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior and Jude Bellingham.

Madrid won the Champions League in 2024 with England international Bellingham and Brazilian winger Vinicius playing key roles, but since French superstar Mbappe arrived that summer, the club have not lifted a major trophy.

"They are incredible players and incredible players want to play with incredible players," Mourinho told reporters.

"Tactically, it could be tricky. Ancelotti has found a set-up with Brazil perfect for Vini, (Didier) Deschamps has found one with France perfect for Kylian, (Thomas) Tuchel one perfect for Jude, it's harder for Mourinho to do it for the three of them.

"We're on it. I want the three, when all three play, to feel comfortable on the pitch... they are three players of great quality.

"They don't play in incompatible positions. We will have a great season with them."

However, Madrid's stars can consider themselves warned -- they must contribute in defense this season.

"We have to defend with 11 players," said Mourinho.

"If a team is pushing us back and giving us problems in our final third, we all have to defend."