Sources Reveal to Asharq Al-Awsat How Hamas Identified Suspects in the Assassinations of Haddad and Ouda

 Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
TT

Sources Reveal to Asharq Al-Awsat How Hamas Identified Suspects in the Assassinations of Haddad and Ouda

 Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians inspect the site of a destroyed building as smoke billows following an Israeli airstrike in the Al Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, Gaza Strip, 15 May 2026 EPA/MOHAMMED SABER

The announcement by security bodies affiliated with Hamas in Gaza that they had executed a Palestinian convicted of "collaborating" in the killing of the late Izz al-Din Haddad, former commander of the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the movement's armed wing, drew attention inside and outside Gaza. The announcement came nearly two months after Israel killed Haddad and his successor, Mohammed Ouda, in separate strikes less than two weeks apart.

Hamas sources told Asharq Al-Awsat some details of how suspects in the killings of Haddad and Ouda were identified, revealing that the movement's security services are preparing to announce another execution involving a second individual accused of providing information that helped facilitate Ouda's assassination.

Although a ceasefire was supposed to have taken effect in Gaza last October, Israel has continued to kill members and senior figures of Hamas and the Qassam Brigades.

A statement issued Wednesday evening by the so-called "Resistance Security" in Gaza said it had executed an individual identified only by the initials "M.M." after completing what it described as all "revolutionary procedures." The statement said the man had been convicted of collaborating with Israeli intelligence and providing information that led to several attacks resulting in the deaths of Palestinians, including leaders of armed factions, most recently Haddad.

Two Hamas sources, one with field knowledge and the other from the movement's security apparatus, separately described to Asharq Al-Awsat how the suspect was apprehended.

Went to the Hospital to Confirm Victims' Identities

The field source said the suspect was arrested immediately after Haddad's assassination on May 15, 2026, at the scene of the attack after being observed communicating with an Israeli intelligence officer.

The security source, however, said the suspect was arrested the following day after he was spotted at the attack site. The source said he was also seen at Al-Shifa Hospital on the day of the strike to verify the identities of those killed and wounded. He allegedly returned to the hospital the next day, searching the buildings for resistance members who had been injured in earlier airstrikes.

Both sources claimed the suspect confessed immediately after his arrest to collaborating with Israeli intelligence, which they said had recruited him to monitor several locations linked to the Haddad family. They said he admitted moving between those locations and being present at the scene after Haddad, his wife and his daughter were targeted while traveling in a vehicle on Al-Wahda Street east of Gaza City.

According to the security source, the 47-year-old suspect also confessed to providing information that contributed to the killings of around 30 fighters from the Qassam Brigades and other armed factions, most of them from the Sheikh Radwan Battalion. The source added that surveillance equipment and devices used to track entry and exit routes were found in his possession when he was arrested at Al-Shifa Hospital.

Smoke billows from a residential building that was hit by an Israeli strike the previous day in the Rimal neighbourhood of Gaza City on May 16, 2026.(Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

Intensive Surveillance of Mohammed Ouda's Wife

The two sources said Hamas is continuing efforts to track down and arrest individuals it describes as collaborators.

The security source said another suspect was arrested two days after the killing of Mohammed Ouda, who had assumed command of the Qassam Brigades' General Staff following Haddad's death before being killed by Israel on May 26.

The source said the detainee in the Ouda case was not a Hamas member and would also be executed after all "revolutionary procedures" had been completed.

According to sources in Gaza, the term "revolutionary procedures" refers to informing the suspect's family, the families of those allegedly killed as a result of information he provided, and the armed factions of the investigation's findings.

The Hamas security source said the suspect in Ouda's assassination admitted collaborating with Israeli intelligence and contributing to the killing of several prominent field operatives, in addition to his alleged role in Ouda's assassination. According to the source, the suspect's Shin Bet handler provided him with information related to the Haddad family's identity and whereabouts and specifically instructed him to monitor Ouda's wife.

The field source added that on the day Ouda was killed, his wife was under close surveillance by the alleged collaborator as she prepared the evening meal for the Day of Arafah fast. She reportedly left the family's newly rented apartment to prepare the meal while Ouda was on his way to join them. He later arrived and ate with his family before the apartment was struck, after the detained suspect allegedly confirmed to his handlers that they were all inside.

The source said Hamas security personnel had become suspicious of several individuals in the vicinity of the apartment targeted in the strike on Ouda and monitored the suspect for some time before arresting him.

According to the two sources, modern communication devices were seized from both suspects accused in the assassinations of Haddad and Ouda.

During the war and after the ceasefire, Hamas security services have executed several people convicted of collaborating with Israel in connection with a series of assassinations targeting senior leaders, including the late Qassam Brigades commander Mohammed Deif. According to the sources, some of those executed were Hamas members, although most were not affiliated with the movement.



Eight Muslim Countries Condemn Israel’s Rejection of Trump’s Gaza Plan

 Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
TT

Eight Muslim Countries Condemn Israel’s Rejection of Trump’s Gaza Plan

 Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)
Displaced Palestinian children carry food portions in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip, Friday, Aug 14, 2026. (AP)

The foreign ministers of eight Muslim countries on Sunday condemned Israel's rejection of a recently released roadmap for fully implementing US President Donald Trump's Gaza peace plan.

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Türkiye, Qatar, and the United Arab Emirates said the rejection amounts to a “direct repudiation” of the peace plan, “jeopardizes its implementation, and fundamentally undermines the collective efforts to achieve a just and lasting peace.”

“Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory,” they said in statement.

The roadmap, which has been accepted by the Palestinian factions, is the conclusion of extensive efforts exerted by the mediators, namely Egypt, Qatar, Türkiye, the US, the High Representative of Gaza and the Board of Peace and constitutes a vital milestone for the decommissioning of weapons concurrently with the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the deployment of the International Stabilization Force, the transfer of the administrative authority to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza and the reconstruction of Gaza as stipulated in the Comprehensive Plan, they went on to say.

Rejecting the roadmap is “an explicit refusal to proceed with the implementation of the peace plan, and directly threatens to derail the extensive efforts exerted by Trump to bring an end to the war in Gaza and establish the conditions for lasting peace.”

The ministers underscored “the importance of sustained and active US engagement to ensure and enforce Israel’s full compliance with the commitments and arrangements envisaged under the peace plan and its roadmap, and to prevent further obstruction of their implementation.”

“Israel bears direct and full responsibility for any consequences resulting from its continued rejection, obstruction, delay or non-compliance, including any resulting deterioration of the situation on the ground and disruption of ending the war in Gaza,” they added.

They underlined the urgent need for the full and immediate implementation of the peace plan in order to address the grave humanitarian situation, ensure security and stability for all in Gaza, and pave the way for reconstruction and recovery and advancing a just and lasting peace grounded in the Palestinian right to self-determination and statehood in accordance with international law, paving the way for security and stability for all countries and peoples of the region.

They categorically rejected any attempt to deny or foreclose Palestinian statehood including through unilateral actions.

“A just, lasting and comprehensive peace only will be achieved by the implementation of two-state solution, by the realization of an independent and sovereign Palestinian State based on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital in accordance with international law and relevant United Nations resolutions,” they added.

“Any attempt to deny or foreclose Palestinian statehood therefore directly undermines the prospects for peace, security and stability throughout the region,” they warned.

The ministers underscored the importance of the continued role of the Board of Peace and call all parties to support its efforts for the implementation of the roadmap and advancing the second phase of Trump’s peace plan.

The ministers called on the Board of Peace, with the active support and engagement of the US, to take immediate and concrete measures within its mandate to uphold the integrity of the peace plan and prevent any party from obstructing its implementation.


Trump’s Envoys Meet Mediators, Israel Strikes Gaza

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
TT

Trump’s Envoys Meet Mediators, Israel Strikes Gaza

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza: Tents sheltering displaced Palestinians crowd the beach, as the coastline has become a refuge for thousands displaced from different parts of the Gaza Strip by the war. (dpa)

Donald Trump's envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday, a diplomatic source said, in a bid to advance the US president's Gaza peace plan, even as Israel pressed on with airstrikes in the enclave.

Hamas officials were present at some of the meetings between mediators and with Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Nickolay Mladenov, Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, the diplomat said.

A senior Israeli official said Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who on August 9 said ‌Trump's latest roadmap ‌for Gaza peace was “unacceptable”.

GAZA MEDICS SAY STRIKES INJURED SEVERAL PEOPLE

The official ‌said ⁠that Israel was ⁠concerned about Washington's demand to end targeted assassinations of Hamas fighters in Gaza as the group rebuilds its forces.

Trump's peace plan calls for the immediate cessation of military operations in Gaza. It foresees Hamas disarming as Israeli troops withdraw from the enclave and Gaza is rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.

After scaling back its attacks in the enclave earlier this month, Israel's airstrikes have resumed in the past few days.

The Israeli military said on Sunday ⁠that its aircraft struck two Islamic Jihad and Hamas fighters in Khan ‌Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were ‌injured in the strike which hit a tent encampment, medics in the enclave said.

One of the ‌injured in the strike on Khan Younis in southern Gaza died from their wounds, ‌medics at Nasser hospital said later.

A separate airstrike, which the Israeli military said targeted another fighter, hit an apartment in the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, wounding several people, medics said.

Earlier, Hamas leader Khalil Al-Hayya met with Egypt's intelligence chief Hassan Rashad in Cairo. Hamas spokesperson in Gaza, Hazem Qassem, ‌said Al-Hayya would brief mediators on what he said were Israel's ceasefire violations.

Kushner had earlier met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, ⁠Sisi's office said.

Trump ⁠announced last month that there had been a breakthrough in his plan to end the war, to which both Israel and Hamas had agreed.

Hamas said it had agreed to the plan to avoid a resumption of the war, but added that implementation of the deal would depend on Israel first meeting its own commitments, including withdrawing its forces and halting attacks.

An October ceasefire halted major fighting in a devastating two-year war in Gaza that was sparked by Hamas' October 7, 2023, attack on Israel, but it failed to end Israeli attacks entirely.

Israeli fire has killed more than 1,250 Palestinians in Gaza, most of them civilians, since October. It is unclear how many of those killed were gunmen, as Hamas does not usually disclose information about dead fighters.

Four Israeli soldiers were killed by fighters in Gaza over the same period, according to Israeli figures.


Yemeni Army Says it Carried out 181 Operations against Houthis in 24 Hours

Military operations in the Taiz region. (Saba)
Military operations in the Taiz region. (Saba)
TT

Yemeni Army Says it Carried out 181 Operations against Houthis in 24 Hours

Military operations in the Taiz region. (Saba)
Military operations in the Taiz region. (Saba)

The Yemeni military announced Sunday that it carried out 181 military operations over the past 24 hours, targeting Houthi militia positions across various fronts.

The military confirmed that the strikes killed and injured dozens of Houthi fighters, and destroyed weapons depots, equipment, and military vehicles.

Yemen's armed forces spokesperson Colonel Majed Al-Nazili said the operations were executed using drones, artillery, and rocket launchers. He added that the strikes targeted military positions, assets, and Houthi threats across several combat sectors.

In a statement, Al-Nazili said that the strikes destroyed dozens of pieces of equipment and vehicles, along with several weapons depots and military assets, noting that "direct hits were achieved on the designated targets."

The operations focused on Houthi positions in Taiz, Marib, Hodeidah, Dhale, Abyan, Shabwa, Lahj, Mokha, Hailan, Harib and other regions.

Government forces possess the "necessary capability and readiness to reach threat sources, neutralize them, and prevent them from continuing their hostile acts," said Al-Nazili.

He stressed that the forces executed their missions with "high efficiency and operational discipline," while adhering to the rules of engagement and the provisions of international humanitarian law, and taking the necessary precautions to protect civilians.

Al-Nazili said the operations were a response to "repeated Houthi terrorist attacks" targeting civilians, civilian locations, economic facilities, and ports, as well as units government forces.

The Houthi militia targeted residential neighborhoods in the city of Marib on Saturday evening with six ballistic missiles and four drones.

The attacks resulted in casualties and injuries, as well as material damage to several houses, vehicles, and civilian property.

Al-Nazili said the armed forces are at the "highest state of readiness" and capable of taking the initiative and imposing a new equation on the ground. He underscored their preparedness to execute the tasks assigned to them and to deal with various developments in line with the directives of the political and military leadership.