China Smartphone Sales Drop 13% During 618 Festival as Memory Costs Limit Discounts

A visitor checks a mobile phone near the Huawei logo during the Mobile World Congress in Shanghai, China June 28, 2023. (Reuters)
A visitor checks a mobile phone near the Huawei logo during the Mobile World Congress in Shanghai, China June 28, 2023. (Reuters)
TT

China Smartphone Sales Drop 13% During 618 Festival as Memory Costs Limit Discounts

A visitor checks a mobile phone near the Huawei logo during the Mobile World Congress in Shanghai, China June 28, 2023. (Reuters)
A visitor checks a mobile phone near the Huawei logo during the Mobile World Congress in Shanghai, China June 28, 2023. (Reuters)

Smartphone sales in China fell 13% year-on-year during the month-long 618 shopping festival, as brands raised prices to offset higher memory costs, according to data from Counterpoint Research.

Sales declined from May 26 to June 21, with all major Chinese brands except Huawei posting double-digit drops as fewer promotions compared to last year weighed on demand. Honor sales dropped 33%, while Xiaomi's fell 24%.

Higher memory prices amid a rapid ‌build-out of ‌AI infrastructure have pushed up handset costs this year, leaving brands ‌with ⁠less room to ⁠offer steep discounts during the 618 festival, seen as a barometer for the country's booming e-commerce sector.

"Some older and newer models from Chinese smartphone brands were priced higher than comparable models a year earlier, while discounts during this year's 618 festival were generally less aggressive, both in terms of the size of price cuts and the range of products covered," said Ivan Lam, senior analyst at Counterpoint Research.

"Apple's prices ⁠were broadly unchanged, but its discounts were also smaller."

Huawei Technologies ‌led the market with a 21% share, ‌and was the only major brand to record year-on-year growth during the 618 period, with ‌sales rising 19%.

Its Enjoy 90 Pro Max was its best-selling model. ‌The Mate 80 also performed well, supported by promotions.

Apple's sales fell 9% from a year earlier, although the US tech giant climbed to the No. 2 spot after rolling out incentives about a month ahead of June 18.

The discounts offered savings of up ‌to 2,000 yuan ($295) on the iPhone 17 Pro series through a mix of official price cuts, platform subsidies and trade-in ⁠deals.

Still, Apple's sales ⁠remained lower than a year earlier, partly because promotions for the iPhone 16 series were more aggressive during the same period last year.

The 618 festival, which began as a one-day event marking JD.com's founding on June 18, 1998, has since grown into a month-long sales campaign, with major e-commerce platforms competing for consumer spending.

In recent years, however, China's biggest shopping festivals have struggled to generate their former buzz, as extended discount periods and weak consumer sentiment have curbed appetite for non-essential spending, even at reduced prices.

Counterpoint said the 618 festival helped smartphone sales recover in June from the previous month. But it added that the market was likely to enter a seasonal slowdown afterward and post a double-digit decline in shipments for the year.



ACE Robotics CEO: Robot Brains Will Have 'ChatGPT Moment' by End of 2027

Wang Xiaogang, co-founder of SenseTime and chairman of ACE Robotics, speaks during an interview with Reuters at the booth of ACE Robotics, during the 2026 World Robot Conference, in Beijing, China, August 21, 2026. REUTERS/Tingshu Wang
Wang Xiaogang, co-founder of SenseTime and chairman of ACE Robotics, speaks during an interview with Reuters at the booth of ACE Robotics, during the 2026 World Robot Conference, in Beijing, China, August 21, 2026. REUTERS/Tingshu Wang
TT

ACE Robotics CEO: Robot Brains Will Have 'ChatGPT Moment' by End of 2027

Wang Xiaogang, co-founder of SenseTime and chairman of ACE Robotics, speaks during an interview with Reuters at the booth of ACE Robotics, during the 2026 World Robot Conference, in Beijing, China, August 21, 2026. REUTERS/Tingshu Wang
Wang Xiaogang, co-founder of SenseTime and chairman of ACE Robotics, speaks during an interview with Reuters at the booth of ACE Robotics, during the 2026 World Robot Conference, in Beijing, China, August 21, 2026. REUTERS/Tingshu Wang

Humanoid robot brains could see a breakthrough by late next year similar to the dramatic impact ChatGPT had on AI ​usage, the CEO of Chinese embodied AI startup ACE Robotics said on Friday.

"We expect to reach the 'ChatGPT moment' for embodied intelligence by the end of next year, driven by world models and environmental data capture," Wang Xiaogang told Reuters.

"Even if we reach that inflection point by late 2027, it will likely take another four to five years to see broad commercial implementation of embodied world models across sectors," said Wang, who is also a co-founder of Chinese AI visual recognition pioneer SenseTime.

While large language models such as ChatGPT and DeepSeek have become a staple in workplaces and households globally, AI models that allow a robot ‌to smoothly complete ‌a wide range of tasks in unfamiliar physical environments remain distant.

And as ​more ‌companies ⁠in ​China's fledgling ⁠humanoid robot industry seek funding and high valuations, investors are placing more importance on real-world deployment over activities such as dance or athletics to demonstrate their economic value.

Embodied AI models determine the intelligence and autonomous operation abilities of robots.

Unlike large language models, these physical AI simulation systems are designed to help robots understand and navigate real-world environments in real time.

Wang Xingxing, the founder of China's Unitree, this week predicted that robot brains could see a dramatic breakthrough in two to three years at the earliest.

He and other Chinese robotics CEOs have acknowledged ⁠that acquiring high-quality real-life training data for these models remains a bottleneck.

ACE ‌Robotics, which was founded in July 2025 and is backed by ‌Ant Group and SenseTime, has raised more than $100 million in the ​first half of this year through several financing ‌rounds.

Wang said it aims to launch an initial public offering (IPO) "as early as permitted". Chinese listing ‌rules typically require companies to have at least three fiscal years of operation.

The company's open-source Kairos-4B model is ranked first globally by public benchmarks, outperforming world models such as Nvidia's Cosmos 3 and Ant Group's Lingbot despite having a much smaller 4 billion parameter count.

The world model integrates perception, multi-modal understanding, physical simulation and action planning. It can also generate ‌long-horizon video and action predictions over multi-minute sequences.

Many robot companies including Unitree and startup X Square are developing their own embodied AI foundation ⁠models.

"Over the past few ⁠years, the entire industry has accumulated data of roughly 100,000 hours, which is far from enough to train embodied foundation models," said ACE's Wang.

He said ACE is rapidly scaling data collection by using people on real production lines fitted with lightweight sensors.

"The collection efficiency is extremely high ... We expect to accumulate tens of millions of hours of data within two years," Wang added.

Many firms train humanoid robots using physical tele-operation, where workers wearing exoskeletons and controllers repeat simple physical movements hundreds of times a day.

ACE is deploying its embodied AI models in commercial settings such as unmanned retail stores, hotel services and instant-delivery warehouses staffed by humanoid robots from Chinese makers including Unitree, AgiBot and Fourier.

"We plan to deploy in at least 1,000 stores over the coming year, scaling to 10,000 stores in two years," said Wang.

For training its models, ACE uses ​AI chips from Nvidia as well as Chinese ​makers including Rhino Tech and Digua Robotics.

"This diversifies our supply chain, because in the future, we will definitely need comprehensive intelligent hardware solutions, and their costs need to be significantly reduced," said Wang.


India Orders Removal of Google Firebase Accounts after Spotting Scam Pattern

FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
TT

India Orders Removal of Google Firebase Accounts after Spotting Scam Pattern

FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo

India has directed Google to shut down hundreds of accounts on its Firebase web development platform after finding a pattern of criminals misusing the service to impersonate major banks and defraud people, according to government notices and a source familiar with the matter.

Online scams have become one of India's most pressing law enforcement challenges, with Indians losing nearly $2.4 billion in alleged cyber fraud in 2025, according to government data. For years, the government has gone after scammers by ordering their websites removed.

Of late, however, Indian officials have noticed a "pattern" that scammers are using the Google's app and website development tool Firebase, which has millions of users the world over, according to the source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) has directed at least 57 websites and databases that were hosted on Firebase be taken down in August alone, saying they were being used to distribute malware and steal sensitive financial information from victims' phones, according to three notices sent to Google and reviewed by Reuters.

There was no ⁠suggestion in the ⁠notices that Google or Firebase were in any way responsible. However, Google can be held liable for the named links if they are not taken down within three hours of the notice being issued.

"Android-based malware programs are masquerading as legitimate banking services, specifically targeting Android users with credit cards. Scammers lure victims by promoting offers such as new credit cards, reward redemptions, or credit limit upgrades," I4C said in an August 17 notice to Google, directing the removals.

The source added the total number of notices sent to Google over Firebase ran into dozens in recent months, without sharing an exact number.

Alphabet-owned Google said in a statement the company has "strict policies prohibiting the ⁠use of our services for phishing, malware, or financial fraud" and works with law enforcement, including I4C, to evaluate and act on notices.

Representatives for India's home (interior) ministry, which controls the I4C, did not respond to questions.

Firebase is used by millions of developers worldwide to build apps and host websites. It is part of Google's cloud business, which generated nearly $25 billion in revenue in the most recent quarter.

Scam operators have been migrating to Firebase from other free tools since last year, drawn by generous free options and more capable database features, the Indian government has assessed, the source said.

Scammers are increasingly targeting India's booming digital payments ecosystem. Nearly 242 billion digital transactions were processed through India's real-time payments system alone in the year to March 2026, making it one of the world's largest digital payments markets.

Reuters reviewed three government notices sent by I4C to Google in August, accessed through Lumen, a non-profit database where companies like Google voluntarily submit content removal requests they receive.

Seven of the 57 websites ⁠and databases asked to ⁠be removed were phishing pages created using Firebase that mimicked top Indian banks, including State Bank of India, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank. The remaining were what the government agency said were websites created to collect data stolen from victims' phones, including credit card details and one-time passwords.

The three banks did not respond to queries from Reuters.

The fraud described in the notices worked by getting victims to install apps that looked like legitimate banking services.

One scheme exploited by scammers was PM-KISAN, a federal government program that pays small farmers roughly 2,000 Indian rupees (about $21) every four months, according to a fourth notice and the source with direct knowledge.

Websites allegedly promised recipients help in claiming their payment, asking them to download an app to redeem the money.

Then, the app sends the user's data to the scammer's Firebase database, effectively leading to a hack of the phone where scammers can access other downloaded apps and defraud customers of their funds.

The government issued one public advisory in March, without naming Firebase, but raising concerns about such malware, widely called "Android God Mode" by cybersecurity researchers, a term describing the near-total control over victims' phones.

"These malicious apps often impersonate trusted services such as banking, government and utility platforms, and trick users into installing them through links," the advisory said.


UK Cinemas Restricting Meta AI and Other Smart Glasses over Piracy Concerns

FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
TT

UK Cinemas Restricting Meta AI and Other Smart Glasses over Piracy Concerns

FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa

Cinema operators in Britain are introducing policies to prohibit or restrict camera-enabled smart glasses, including Meta's AI-powered eyewear, the UK Cinema Association said on Thursday, citing privacy and film piracy concerns.

The move follows growing scrutiny of smart glasses over their recording capabilities, with courts in England and Wales this month prohibiting Meta smart glasses because of restrictions on taking images and videos in courts, Reuters reported.

Policies vary by venue, with operators introducing prohibitions and/or restrictions rather than a single industry-wide rule.

The UK Cinema Association said operators recognise smart glasses can provide benefits to those with specific access requirements. The association said it would continue working with members to ensure their approach "remains relevant and proportionate."

Elsewhere, a German advocacy group earlier in August said it had filed a criminal complaint against Meta and others involved in selling the Meta devices, citing privacy laws.