Israel’s Yellow Line, a Shifting Edge of War Pushing Gazans from Home

22 July 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza City: A Palestinian man flees the Dawla area near Salah al-Din Street in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City, after the Israeli army advanced concrete barriers locally known as the "Yellow Line" and expanded the military area, forcing more residents to leave their tents amid ongoing military operations in the Gaza Strip. (dpa)
22 July 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza City: A Palestinian man flees the Dawla area near Salah al-Din Street in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City, after the Israeli army advanced concrete barriers locally known as the "Yellow Line" and expanded the military area, forcing more residents to leave their tents amid ongoing military operations in the Gaza Strip. (dpa)
TT

Israel’s Yellow Line, a Shifting Edge of War Pushing Gazans from Home

22 July 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza City: A Palestinian man flees the Dawla area near Salah al-Din Street in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City, after the Israeli army advanced concrete barriers locally known as the "Yellow Line" and expanded the military area, forcing more residents to leave their tents amid ongoing military operations in the Gaza Strip. (dpa)
22 July 2026, Palestinian Territories, Gaza City: A Palestinian man flees the Dawla area near Salah al-Din Street in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza City, after the Israeli army advanced concrete barriers locally known as the "Yellow Line" and expanded the military area, forcing more residents to leave their tents amid ongoing military operations in the Gaza Strip. (dpa)

On a road in Gaza City's Zeitoun district, Palestinian resident Assem Dawla loaded mattresses and bags onto a truck as concrete yellow blocks marking the edge of Israel's expanding military zone stood amid the rubble nearby.

He said it was the seventh or eighth time since the war began that he and his family had been forced to leave a shelter because of Israeli evacuation orders and the advance of what residents call the yellow line.

Zeitoun is one of at least five locations across Gaza where residents and Hamas officials say Israel has expanded areas under its control in recent days by moving forward the yellow line, a military demarcation established under a US-brokered ceasefire reached in October.

As men hoisted belongings onto a waiting truck, elderly relatives picked their way through debris. Continued Israeli military activity made it too dangerous to remain, Dawla said.

"We are taking our belongings out and going to leave the place because ‌the occupation (Israel) has ‌moved the yellow line all the way to Salah al-Din Street," he said.

With the ‌October ⁠ceasefire, President Donald ⁠Trump set out a peace plan for Gaza that largely halted major fighting after two years of devastating Israeli war in Gaza triggered by Hamas' attack on southern Israel.

The plan called for a surge in humanitarian aid, governance by a civilian Palestinian administration, the disarmament of Hamas, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza and the deployment of an international force to help maintain security.

But progress has stalled.

Israel effectively controlled an estimated 64% of Gaza by late April. Nearly all of the territory's roughly 2 million residents are concentrated in a narrow coastal area under Hamas control, living largely in damaged buildings or makeshift shelters and facing dire ⁠humanitarian conditions.

Hamas has so far refused to disarm, while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said ‌on May 28 that Israel intends to expand the area under its ‌control to 70% of the enclave. Israeli forces have continued near-daily military strikes across Gaza.

WARNINGS VIA TEXT AND DRONES

Residents in Deir al-Balah, Khan ‌Younis, Gaza City's Zeitoun, Tuffah and Shejaia neighborhoods, as well as northern Rafah, told Reuters that Israeli forces have ‌advanced the yellow block markers during the past 10 days, triggering new waves of displacement in areas already devastated by months of conflict.

At least seven people interviewed by Reuters said residents in some affected areas received warnings via text messages or drone-mounted loudspeakers before leaving once again.

The Israeli military said its forces are deployed in Gaza to protect Israel from attack and that the yellow line was being clearly ‌marked on the ground to reduce the risk of contact between troops and civilians.

The Israeli military’s "defensive posture in the area includes a security zone, a physical barrier, ⁠intelligence capabilities, technological means, and ⁠operational activity by troops," the military said.

For many Gazans ordered to move, the process has become painfully familiar: gathering whatever survived the previous displacement — a few blankets, a cooking pot, a child's schoolbag — and setting out, often after dark, for another area designated as safe by the Israeli military.

MULTIPLE DISPLACEMENTS

Near the shattered remains of buildings in Zeitoun, Dawla's mother, Umm Sami, limped through what was left of the family's property, collecting whatever could still be salvaged.

“Why am I leaving? They (Israeli army) became close, they put the yellow line here. The day before, they struck there, and we left," she said.

Like most of Gaza's population, Dawla's family has been displaced multiple times since the war began, rebuilding temporary shelters only to be ordered to move again days or weeks later.

In a statement issued on July 20, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said an Israeli displacement order in Zeitoun forced 30 families from their tents, which residents said were subsequently destroyed.

As trucks carrying the remnants of household lives rolled away and a child walked past yellow blocks protruding from the wreckage, residents faced yet another uncertain journey.

“The whole war is displacement, displacement. You can't stay anywhere without (Israel) telling you, ‘Get out of here, we want to come in,'" Dawla said.



Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
TT

Drones from Iran Attack PM’s Office in Iraqi Kurdistan

The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo
The attacks happened with Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones. Reuters file photo

Two drones launched from inside Iran attacked the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government's prime minister in ⁠Iraq and the home of the autonomous region's intelligence chief overnight, authorities said Monday.

"Two Hadid-110 type explosive-laden drones were launched from across the Iranian border toward the private office of the Kurdistan region prime minister and the residence of the Parastin Agency director," the regional Counter-Terrorism Directorate said.

“Fortunately, no casualties were reported,” it added.


King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
TT

King of Jordan to Visit China from August 18

Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke
Jordan's King Abdullah II ibn Al-Hussein speaks during a news conference in Berlin, Germany, March 15, 2022. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke

Jordan’s King Abdullah II will visit China from Tuesday for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Beijing announced on Monday.

The trip, at the invitation of Xi, will take place from August 18 to 24, Beijing's foreign ministry said in a statement.

The leaders will "exchange views on bilateral relations and international and regional issues of common concern,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said.

"China is willing to work with Jordan to take this visit as an opportunity to jointly enhance political mutual trust, expand mutually beneficial cooperation... and make positive contributions to regional peace, stability and development," he added.

During his visit to China -- his ninth since he took the throne in 1999 -- the Jordanian king will also visit Shanghai and Shenzhen.

King Abdullah II's visit to China will map out the next decade of strategic cooperation with Xi, according to Chinese Ambassador to Amman Guo Wei.

Guo told the Jordan News Agency (Petra) that the upcoming summit marks a key milestone as Jordan and China approach the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations next year.

Economic cooperation between Amman and Beijing expanded rapidly, according to the ambassador. China became Jordan’s top trading partner in 2025, with bilateral trade surging over 25 percent to exceed $6.7 billion. Jordan's exports to China jumped 80 percent in the first five months of this year alone, reaching nearly $300 million.

Chinese investments in Jordan now exceed $3 billion, supporting major sectors such as engineering, textiles, steel, ceramics, energy, logistics, and e-commerce, while employing thousands of Jordanians.

Beyond economic ties, cultural and educational exchanges continue to grow. Over 600 Jordanian students are currently learning Chinese across seven institutions, while around 500 Chinese students study in Jordan.

Chinese culture is also gaining strong traction across Jordan, with tea, culinary, and poetry events reaching local schools and communities.


Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
TT

Erdogan Plans Syria Visit, Reaffirms Türkiye’s Support for Stability

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan receives Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa during his first visit to Türkiye in February 2025. (Turkish Presidency)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plans to visit Syria soon, reviving a trip initially scheduled for April but postponed after the outbreak of the Iran war in February.

Erdogan pledged that Türkiye would do everything possible to bolster stability in its neighbor, stressing that Syria “will not be alone,” according to excerpts from a television interview carried by Turkish media on Sunday.

He predicted that Syrian Kurds would play a role in peace and stability and pledged to strengthen Türkiye’s ties with Kurdish communities across the region.

Erdogan also cited parliament’s approval of legislation on “Strengthening National Solidarity and Social Integration,” known as the “framework law,” allowing members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) to return and reintegrate into Turkish society as part of the “Terror-Free Türkiye” process.

The Kurdish side calls the initiative the “Peace and Democratic Society Process,” centered on the PKK’s dissolution and disarmament, along with affiliated groups.

SDF integration

Erdogan’s remarks coincided with comments attributed by the pro-government Türkiye newspaper to Mahmoud Berkhedan, a Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) commander in Ain al-Arab, or Kobani.

Berkhedan praised Erdogan and his ally, Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahceli, for their role in Türkiye’s new peace process.

According to Berkhedan, 99% of outstanding issues over military integration with Damascus have been resolved, with some 10,000 to 12,000 members of the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG), the main component of the SDF, integrated into the Syrian army.

He added that the YPG would be dissolved within days and the Autonomous Administration structure in northern and northeastern Syria would disappear.

“We have buried our weapons and are not demanding an independent state,” Berkhedan declared. “There is no turning back. We will participate side by side in building a new Syria within one army, one state, one flag and a shared homeland.”

Military integration is nearly complete, he added, though the status of the Women’s Protection Units (YPJ) and Turkish nationals serving in the Kurdish forces remains unresolved.

Syria trip

Turkish Ambassador to Damascus Nuh Yilmaz revealed Friday that Erdogan had been considering a visit around April 21, but the Iran war and closure of airspace prevented it.

The date had not been finalized before regional developments intervened, Yilmaz explained, but the trip remains planned and will be announced by the Turkish presidency once arrangements are complete.

He expects Erdogan to visit before the end of the year.

Erdogan last traveled to Damascus in January 2011, when he was Türkiye’s prime minister, about two months before the Syrian uprising and the subsequent rupture in diplomatic relations over Ankara’s opposition to the Assad government’s crackdown on protests.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa has made four visits to Türkiye since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024, while exchanges between senior officials have increased and political, economic, security and defense ties have deepened.

Yilmaz noted that four strategic security threats along Türkiye’s border — human smuggling, drug trafficking, irregular migration and terrorism — had disappeared since the collapse of the regime.

Trade between the two countries has also risen 40% to $3.75 billion, with a medium-term target of $10 billion. Talks are continuing on a free-trade agreement, joint industrial zones and opening all crossings along the more than 900-kilometer border.

Türkiye’s foreign and interior ministries are also working on new visa arrangements to make it easier for Syrians who have returned home to visit Türkiye, according to Yilmaz.