Aguirre Bids Farewell with Pride, Backs Marquez to Lead Mexico Forward

Mexico's national team coach Javier Aguirre speaks during a press conference in Mexico City, Mexico, 04 July 2026. (EPA)
Mexico's national team coach Javier Aguirre speaks during a press conference in Mexico City, Mexico, 04 July 2026. (EPA)
TT

Aguirre Bids Farewell with Pride, Backs Marquez to Lead Mexico Forward

Mexico's national team coach Javier Aguirre speaks during a press conference in Mexico City, Mexico, 04 July 2026. (EPA)
Mexico's national team coach Javier Aguirre speaks during a press conference in Mexico City, Mexico, 04 July 2026. (EPA)

Javier Aguirre backed Rafa Marquez to lead Mexico into the future after the co-hosts' World Cup run ended with a 3-2 defeat by England on Sunday, bringing the curtain down on Aguirre's third spell in charge.

Aguirre, who had already made clear he would leave his role after the tournament, said former Mexico captain Marquez was ready to continue the work done with a ‌squad that ‌restored belief during the country's deepest World Cup ‌run ⁠in 40 years.

England ⁠booked their place in the quarter-finals after surviving a late Mexico push at the Azteca Stadium, where the home side fell short despite a spirited fightback.

"I would have liked to say goodbye to my people with a victory. That hurts," Aguirre told reporters. "We tried."

Jude Bellingham's quickfire double put England in control before Julian Quinones pulled one back for ⁠Mexico. Harry Kane added a second-half penalty after England ‌had been reduced to 10 men, ‌and Raul Jimenez's late spot-kick was not enough to prevent Mexico's exit.

"The players ‌need to leave with their heads held high," Aguirre said. "Today it ‌could not be. We failed to capitalize, but I want to thank them all."

The match, delayed by one hour because of adverse weather around the Azteca, was played in front of a passionate home crowd that Aguirre ‌has often described as Mexico's "12th player".

The fans roared Mexico on in the closing stages, chanting "yes we can" ⁠as the ⁠co-hosts pushed for an equalizer, but England held firm to advance to a quarter-final against Norway in Miami on Saturday.

Aguirre said he was leaving with pride despite the pain of elimination, pointing to the unity of the squad and the renewed connection with supporters.

"I leave with a lot of pride," he said. "These players made me very happy. We recovered the sense of belonging and the identity of this team."

Marquez, who captained Mexico at five World Cups and worked alongside Aguirre during the tournament, is expected to take the project forward after the veteran coach's departure.

"I wish him the best," Aguirre said. "He is more than capable, and he will do better than me."



PSG Moves Opening League Game after Heatwave Causes Damage to Pitch at Parc des Princes

(FILES) A picture shows the empty stands and pitch before the French Cup round of 16 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Lille (LOSC) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, on March 17, 2021. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP)
(FILES) A picture shows the empty stands and pitch before the French Cup round of 16 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Lille (LOSC) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, on March 17, 2021. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP)
TT

PSG Moves Opening League Game after Heatwave Causes Damage to Pitch at Parc des Princes

(FILES) A picture shows the empty stands and pitch before the French Cup round of 16 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Lille (LOSC) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, on March 17, 2021. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP)
(FILES) A picture shows the empty stands and pitch before the French Cup round of 16 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Lille (LOSC) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris, on March 17, 2021. (Photo by FRANCK FIFE / AFP)

Paris Saint-Germain's opening game of its title defense in the French league against Rennes has been relocated at short notice because of damage to the champion's pitch following a heatwave this summer.

Sunday's match will now take place in Rennes, French soccer's competitions committee announced late Wednesday.

PSG said its pitch at Parc des Princes had deteriorated so much “that the current conditions did not allow the match to be held under satisfactory circumstances, particularly with regard to the safety and physical well-being of the players.”

The change of venue has been decided “in agreement” with Rennes, PSG said, and thanked its opponent for “making the match possible,” The Associated Press reported.

“Paris Saint-Germain fully understands the inconvenience caused by this change for its supporters and all those who had planned to attend this match at the Parc des Princes,” PSG added, saying “the club regrets this exceptional situation.”

PSG said it had “identified a solution for replacing the pitch at the Parc des Princes for the upcoming matches,” starting with its next home game in Ligue 1 against Monaco on Sept. 4.


Verstappen Commits to Red Bull Until End of 2030

(FILES) Red Bull Racing's Dutch driver Max Verstappen speaks during a press conference at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, three days ahead of the Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix, on July 16, 2026. (Photo by JOHN THYS / AFP)
(FILES) Red Bull Racing's Dutch driver Max Verstappen speaks during a press conference at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, three days ahead of the Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix, on July 16, 2026. (Photo by JOHN THYS / AFP)
TT

Verstappen Commits to Red Bull Until End of 2030

(FILES) Red Bull Racing's Dutch driver Max Verstappen speaks during a press conference at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, three days ahead of the Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix, on July 16, 2026. (Photo by JOHN THYS / AFP)
(FILES) Red Bull Racing's Dutch driver Max Verstappen speaks during a press conference at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit, three days ahead of the Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix, on July 16, 2026. (Photo by JOHN THYS / AFP)

Max Verstappen signed a contract extension with Red Bull to the end of 2030 on Thursday, ending speculation about the four-time world champion's near-term Formula One future.

The 28-year-old already had a contract to the end of 2028 but with break clauses offering a potential way out should the team fail to meet his expectations and provide a winning car.

Such performance-related clauses were believed to have been triggered this season, according to Dutch media reports.

Red Bull lie fourth ⁠overall this season, ⁠and Verstappen sixth, 110 points behind Mercedes' Kimi Antonelli, after 11 races and ahead of his home grand prix this weekend.

The Dutch driver had been linked in media reports to both McLaren, who have signed his race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase from 2028 at the latest, and championship leaders Mercedes.

"I am really pleased with the ⁠contract extension," Verstappen, who joined Red Bull's junior program in 2014 and has won all his titles with the team, said in a team statement.

"We have the best people and I'm excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again. This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue.

"I have always said it: The team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home ... to continue this journey with the same Team that I have ⁠been with ⁠my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do."

According to Reuters, team boss Laurent Mekies said very few partnerships in sport had achieved what Verstappen and Red Bull had, and the extension was rooted in trust.

"Since the very beginning, Max has embodied everything that makes Oracle Red Bull Racing special: uncompromising competitiveness, relentless determination and the courage to challenge convention," said the Frenchman.

"His impact on our team and on Red Bull's motorsport story has been transformational, and he has been fundamental to everything we have accomplished together.

"But we are not done yet. There are more races to win, more milestones to achieve and more history to write."


Messi Scores Emotional 1st Goal Since Father's Death

CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Messi Scores Emotional 1st Goal Since Father's Death

CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP
CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 19: Lionel Messi #10 of Inter Miami CF warms up before the match against the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park on August 19, 2026 in Chester, Pennsylvania. Isaiah Vazquez/Getty Images/AFP

Lionel Messi scored his first goal since the death of his father earlier this month in Inter Miami's 2-2 draw with Philadelphia Union on Wednesday.

Messi's father and longtime representative Jorge died aged 68 on August 8 in Rosario, Argentina.

In the 26th minute at Subaru Park, ⁠Messi shook off ⁠his marker and sent a left-footed shot into the net to give Miami a 2-1 first-half lead before being embraced by his teammates.

The 39-year-old also ⁠assisted on his team's first goal on a hot and humid night in Pennsylvania, Reuters reported.

Messi paid an emotional tribute to his father last week, saying he did not know how to continue without him.

The draw ended a three-game losing streak for defending MLS Cup ⁠champions ⁠Miami. The goal was Messi's 13th of the season, putting him one behind Dallas striker Petar Musa in the race for the MLS Golden Boot, which he won last season.

Messi also captained Argentina to this year's World Cup final, where they lost to Spain.