India Orders Removal of Google Firebase Accounts after Spotting Scam Pattern

FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
TT

India Orders Removal of Google Firebase Accounts after Spotting Scam Pattern

FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: The Google logo is seen outside the company's offices in London, Britain, June 24, 2025. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso/File Photo/File Photo

India has directed Google to shut down hundreds of accounts on its Firebase web development platform after finding a pattern of criminals misusing the service to impersonate major banks and defraud people, according to government notices and a source familiar with the matter.

Online scams have become one of India's most pressing law enforcement challenges, with Indians losing nearly $2.4 billion in alleged cyber fraud in 2025, according to government data. For years, the government has gone after scammers by ordering their websites removed.

Of late, however, Indian officials have noticed a "pattern" that scammers are using the Google's app and website development tool Firebase, which has millions of users the world over, according to the source with direct knowledge of the matter.

The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) has directed at least 57 websites and databases that were hosted on Firebase be taken down in August alone, saying they were being used to distribute malware and steal sensitive financial information from victims' phones, according to three notices sent to Google and reviewed by Reuters.

There was no ⁠suggestion in the ⁠notices that Google or Firebase were in any way responsible. However, Google can be held liable for the named links if they are not taken down within three hours of the notice being issued.

"Android-based malware programs are masquerading as legitimate banking services, specifically targeting Android users with credit cards. Scammers lure victims by promoting offers such as new credit cards, reward redemptions, or credit limit upgrades," I4C said in an August 17 notice to Google, directing the removals.

The source added the total number of notices sent to Google over Firebase ran into dozens in recent months, without sharing an exact number.

Alphabet-owned Google said in a statement the company has "strict policies prohibiting the ⁠use of our services for phishing, malware, or financial fraud" and works with law enforcement, including I4C, to evaluate and act on notices.

Representatives for India's home (interior) ministry, which controls the I4C, did not respond to questions.

Firebase is used by millions of developers worldwide to build apps and host websites. It is part of Google's cloud business, which generated nearly $25 billion in revenue in the most recent quarter.

Scam operators have been migrating to Firebase from other free tools since last year, drawn by generous free options and more capable database features, the Indian government has assessed, the source said.

Scammers are increasingly targeting India's booming digital payments ecosystem. Nearly 242 billion digital transactions were processed through India's real-time payments system alone in the year to March 2026, making it one of the world's largest digital payments markets.

Reuters reviewed three government notices sent by I4C to Google in August, accessed through Lumen, a non-profit database where companies like Google voluntarily submit content removal requests they receive.

Seven of the 57 websites ⁠and databases asked to ⁠be removed were phishing pages created using Firebase that mimicked top Indian banks, including State Bank of India, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank. The remaining were what the government agency said were websites created to collect data stolen from victims' phones, including credit card details and one-time passwords.

The three banks did not respond to queries from Reuters.

The fraud described in the notices worked by getting victims to install apps that looked like legitimate banking services.

One scheme exploited by scammers was PM-KISAN, a federal government program that pays small farmers roughly 2,000 Indian rupees (about $21) every four months, according to a fourth notice and the source with direct knowledge.

Websites allegedly promised recipients help in claiming their payment, asking them to download an app to redeem the money.

Then, the app sends the user's data to the scammer's Firebase database, effectively leading to a hack of the phone where scammers can access other downloaded apps and defraud customers of their funds.

The government issued one public advisory in March, without naming Firebase, but raising concerns about such malware, widely called "Android God Mode" by cybersecurity researchers, a term describing the near-total control over victims' phones.

"These malicious apps often impersonate trusted services such as banking, government and utility platforms, and trick users into installing them through links," the advisory said.



UK Cinemas Restricting Meta AI and Other Smart Glasses over Piracy Concerns

FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
TT

UK Cinemas Restricting Meta AI and Other Smart Glasses over Piracy Concerns

FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa
FILED - 27 May 2025, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Schwerin: The Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp apps are shown on a smartphone display that reflects the logo of the AI application Meta AI. Photo: Jens Büttner/dpa

Cinema operators in Britain are introducing policies to prohibit or restrict camera-enabled smart glasses, including Meta's AI-powered eyewear, the UK Cinema Association said on Thursday, citing privacy and film piracy concerns.

The move follows growing scrutiny of smart glasses over their recording capabilities, with courts in England and Wales this month prohibiting Meta smart glasses because of restrictions on taking images and videos in courts, Reuters reported.

Policies vary by venue, with operators introducing prohibitions and/or restrictions rather than a single industry-wide rule.

The UK Cinema Association said operators recognise smart glasses can provide benefits to those with specific access requirements. The association said it would continue working with members to ensure their approach "remains relevant and proportionate."

Elsewhere, a German advocacy group earlier in August said it had filed a criminal complaint against Meta and others involved in selling the Meta devices, citing privacy laws.


UNESCO to Lead Global Efforts in Riyadh to Shape Responsible AI Policies in September

A general view of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (SPA)
A general view of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (SPA)
TT

UNESCO to Lead Global Efforts in Riyadh to Shape Responsible AI Policies in September

A general view of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (SPA)
A general view of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (SPA)

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will spearhead intensive efforts in Riyadh in September to advance the implementation of its recommendations on artificial intelligence (AI) ethics, strengthen AI governance, and promote its responsible use, the Saudi Press Agency said on Wednesday.

The efforts come at a critical turning point for the global technology sector. AI ethics is no longer merely a regulatory option but has become a fundamental pillar and an urgent international imperative to harness advanced technologies for the benefit of humanity and safeguard human achievements worldwide.

Countries around the world recognize the potential of AI to deliver significant benefits to humanity. However, concerns remain over ensuring accountability in the use of these technologies and addressing related challenges, including biases that could lead to discrimination and inequality among communities worldwide.

These concerns are outlined in UNESCO’s Recommendation on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence, adopted by UNESCO member states in 2021, which also underscores the need to ensure the safe use of AI technologies and safeguard human dignity and rights.

UNESCO has selected Saudi Arabia to host the fourth edition of the UNESCO Global Forum on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence (GFEAI 2026) from September 14 to 17. Saudi Arabia will be the first Arab country to host the international event, which will bring together technology and AI ministers from UNESCO member states, policymakers, leaders of major global companies, and representatives of international organizations.

The forum will be held in partnership with the Saudi Data and AI Authority (SDAIA) and the International Center for AI Research and Ethics (ICAIRE), under the auspices of UNESCO and in coordination with the Saudi National Commission for Education, Culture and Science.

Over four days, GFEAI 2026 will address key themes including AI ethics and governance, capacity building, responsible innovation, and international policies. It will also showcase the latest global initiatives and experiences in the field through high-level sessions and specialized workshops bringing together leading experts and policymakers from around the world.


Sources: Samsung Hikes Chipmaking Prices by Up to 15% on Demand Spike

The logo of Samsung is seen at the Samsung Electronics Seocho building in Seoul on July 30, 2026. (Photo by Jung Yeon-je / AFP)
The logo of Samsung is seen at the Samsung Electronics Seocho building in Seoul on July 30, 2026. (Photo by Jung Yeon-je / AFP)
TT

Sources: Samsung Hikes Chipmaking Prices by Up to 15% on Demand Spike

The logo of Samsung is seen at the Samsung Electronics Seocho building in Seoul on July 30, 2026. (Photo by Jung Yeon-je / AFP)
The logo of Samsung is seen at the Samsung Electronics Seocho building in Seoul on July 30, 2026. (Photo by Jung Yeon-je / AFP)

Samsung Electronics has raised prices for some advanced contract chipmaking services by up to 15% for new orders, two people familiar with the matter said, as demand for AI chips tightens capacity in a business long dominated by TSMC.

Demand from Chinese customers has been particularly strong, but Samsung has been unable to meet all orders because it must serve US customers and reserve part of its capacity to support its own chip production, said the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are discussing sensitive commercial matters.

Chinese customers are among those accepting the steepest price increase, one of the sources said, underscoring how US curbs on exports of advanced chipmaking equipment to China have increased local firms' reliance on overseas foundries.

The price hikes mark a turnaround for Samsung's foundry business, which has been a loss maker since 2022, according to industry ⁠estimates.

The division ⁠has struggled to narrow the gap with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co, even as Samsung reported record profits, driven by soaring prices for memory chips used in AI systems.

Samsung raised prices in July for chips made using its 4-nanometre process, known as SF4, the sources said.

Prices for SF4 customers in China and the US were increased 10% to 15% from the previous month, while customers in Taiwan, home to TSMC, saw increases of 5% to 10%, according to one of the sources.

Prices for wafers produced by its 5-nanometre SF5 process rose by 10% to 15%, while those for its older 8-nanometre technology ⁠rose by nearly 10%, according to the source. Samsung declined to comment to Reuters as the company does not provide details on operational matters.

Samsung produced 7% of global foundry revenue in the first quarter of 2026, compared with more than 70% for TSMC, according to research firm Counterpoint.

However, demand for AI chips has booked up much of TSMC's leading-edge capacity.

Samsung expects advanced processes to account for more than half of foundry revenue this year, while AI and high-performance-computing applications would make up more than 30%, up from 15% to 20% in late 2025.

With TSMC's production taken up, Samsung has more leverage to raise prices.

"As TSMC faces tight capacity and raises prices, customers are shifting to rivals such as Samsung and Intel, prompting Samsung to raise its prices as well," said Lee Min-hee, a Seoul-based analyst at BNK Investment & Securities.

"If Samsung raises prices from here, its foundry business could potentially become profitable as early as next ⁠year, earlier than previously expected," ⁠Lee said.

Samsung's SF4 production line at its Pyeongtaek, South Korea, plant has been running at full capacity since late last year, said a person familiar with the company's operations.

The line produces logic chips for customers including Qualcomm as well as base dies used in Samsung's own multi-layer high-bandwidth memory (HBM) chips, the person said.

Samsung said in July it expects the foundry unit to return to profit in the near future, helped by higher factory utilization, better production yields and firmer pricing.

It also said then rising sales to major US and Chinese customers, along with demand for HBM base dies, should help lift foundry revenue by more than double-digit percentage points in the second half from a year earlier.

Improvements in production yields have also helped Samsung win customers. Tesla and Apple unveiled chip manufacturing deals with Samsung last year. Samsung also announced an AI chip production deal with Broadcom in July, while Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang said in March that Samsung would manufacture its new AI inference processor.

Google is also in talks with Samsung to manufacture chips using SF4, said one of the two sources familiar with the price increases.

Google did not respond to a request for comment.