'Wiped Out': Ukraine's Bird Lovers Long for Peaceful Skies

Viktor Sevidov 37-year-old photographer takes pictures of birds in Kryvyi Rig on April 22, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
Viktor Sevidov 37-year-old photographer takes pictures of birds in Kryvyi Rig on April 22, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
TT

'Wiped Out': Ukraine's Bird Lovers Long for Peaceful Skies

Viktor Sevidov 37-year-old photographer takes pictures of birds in Kryvyi Rig on April 22, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)
Viktor Sevidov 37-year-old photographer takes pictures of birds in Kryvyi Rig on April 22, 2026, amid the Russian invasion of Ukraine. (Photo by Tetiana DZHAFAROVA / AFP)

When Viktor Sevidov looked up to the sky above Ukraine's war-scarred landscape, he was not watching out for incoming missiles or drones. Instead, he was looking for birds.

"There's a jay ... That's a bluethroat ... Do you see the hen harrier? We're lucky," the 37-year-old photographer told AFP.

Threatened in peacetime by deforestation, intensive agriculture, urbanization, pollution, hunting and climate change, Russia's 2022 invasion has wrought yet more suffering on Ukraine's birdlife.

The constant aerial bombardments have devastated wildlife and wrecked a delicate ecosystem across a 1,200-kilometer (750-mile) frontline -- including birds' nesting grounds and migratory routes.

Every dawn or dusk, Sevidov leaves his grey apartment block on the outskirts of Kryvyi Rig, an industrial city in central Ukraine, to see what birds he can spot.

"I see shaheds every day ... I want to see a clear sky," he said, referring to the Iranian-style attack drones that Russia fires hundreds of every day at Ukraine.

Amid a global biodiversity crisis, birds -- which play a vital role in pollination, seed dispersal and controlling insect populations -- are one of the fastest declining groups.

Before Russia invaded, Sevidov photographed wildlife in the southern Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions.

Partly occupied by Russia and under constant bombardment, his previous spots are either "destroyed" or "unreachable".

One day in 2024, he saw a Russian missile shot down above him while he was taking photos near Odesa.

"For me, it's disgusting ... I don't want to see that. I love nature. I love life. Not things that bring death."

Contrary to what some may think, birds cannot always easily flee the dangers of war, zoologist Ewa Wegrzyn, from the Polish University of Rzeszow, said.

Many species of birds are philopatric, meaning they either stay in the area they were born or regularly return to the same place to mate.

"Unfortunately, during war, philopatry can be fatal, as it leads birds along migration routes over areas affected by fighting," Wegrzyn said.

At a refuge center in Voropaiv, near the capital Kyiv, more than 200 birds have been housed, including dozens wounded in the war.

"Birds very often get caught in anti-drone nets or become entangled in fiber-optic cables, injuring their wings, and they suffer terribly," Iryna Snopko, the shelter's 63-year-old director told AFP.

Alongside covering roads in huge nets to stop drone attacks, both Russia and Ukraine have fired thousands of tethered fiber-optic attack drones -- with the webs of discarded cables stretching for dozens of kilometers.

Since 2022, the Sadyba Nyushanik center has built a new aviary to house the influx of injured birds.

Among those taken in are a blind swan, an eagle with an amputated wing and a stork that suffered a concussion during an air attack.

They recently paid to treat an owl that had been severely burned when a drone crashed into its tree. It later succumbed to the injuries.

Walking around, Snopko spoke affectionately about the "love stories" that have formed among the storks.

She showed off a female crow, Varia, who can say her own name.

"Vooaaria!" the bird croaked, a concoction of sounds that resembled a drunken old man.

When Russia invaded in 2022, Sevidov stopped taking photographs for two years -- not wanting to pursue his "hobby" while many of his friends were going off to war.

He had wanted to join the army, but was declared unfit for service as one of his arms has been disabled since birth.

Those same friends eventually convinced him to restart, to try to show something "positive".

His vivid color photographs now frequently appear in local media outlets -- alongside pictures of fires, explosions and obituaries.

Bird enthusiast and Sevidov's best friend, Vyacheslav Kaistro, did enlist.

"There's simply no living space left where the fighting is taking place," the 58-year-old told AFP, speaking in a park in the central city of Dnipro.

"Habitats are being destroyed. The birds that live in those habitats are simply being wiped out."

He recalled seeing a lot of "traumatized" animals near the front.

"Their behavior is completely different ... as if they're under the influence of some kind of drug."

One night in 2023 while on an offensive he saw a Eurasian eagle-owl for the first time in his life.

"It was a bad omen. I had a feeling that something was going to happen," he said, falling silent and staring ahead with eyes frozen.

Hours later he stepped on a mine, losing his right leg in the blast.



Harvard Agrees to Pay $53 Mn after Morgue Manager Sold Body Parts

FILE PHOTO: Students walk past Widener Library at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, US, November 19, 2025. REUTERS/Reba Saldanha/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Students walk past Widener Library at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, US, November 19, 2025. REUTERS/Reba Saldanha/File Photo
TT

Harvard Agrees to Pay $53 Mn after Morgue Manager Sold Body Parts

FILE PHOTO: Students walk past Widener Library at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, US, November 19, 2025. REUTERS/Reba Saldanha/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Students walk past Widener Library at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, US, November 19, 2025. REUTERS/Reba Saldanha/File Photo

Harvard University has agreed to pay a $53 million settlement after its former morgue manager stole and sold body parts donated for scientific research, with a Boston court reportedly approving the plan on Tuesday.

Cedric Lodge, who managed the morgue at the prestigious Harvard Medical School before being fired in 2023, was sentenced to eight years in prison in December after pleading guilty to trafficking stolen remains.

Investigators said Lodge and his wife took body parts from the school "without the knowledge or permission of his employer, the donor, or the donor's family" and shipped them to buyers in other states since 2018.

According to AFP, Harvard University said in a letter on Monday that it will seek the court's permission to set up "two class action settlement funds totaling $53 million."

"We are grateful to be working together with the plaintiffs to move forward in a way that prioritizes support for families and the (organ donation program) and avoids prolonged litigation," read the letter co-signed by Harvard Medical School Dean George Daley and Bernard Chang, dean for medical education.

Lodge's violations "were despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community," they said.

"We reaffirm our deep sorrow and empathy for the families of donors who may have been impacted."

A Boston state court judge gave preliminary approval to the settlement plan on Tuesday, US media reported.

Harvard said the process of distributing funds is expected to take several months.

Lodge's wife Denise was earlier sentenced to one year in prison.

Six other co-conspirators who bought remains from Lodge have also pleaded guilty and received sentences.

The Harvard Medical School will set up an annual financial aid scholarship starting in the 2027-28 academic year "in appreciation and in honor of all of our anatomical donors," the school said.

The settlement plan also includes a pledge by the school to provide a statement to the claimant families condemning Lodge's criminal acts, and to detail improvements made to the organ donation program.


Chinese Space Program Pioneer Liu Jiyuan Dies at 93

Commuters ride past the Tiananmen Square in Beijing on August 18, 2026. (Photo by ADEK BERRY / AFP)
Commuters ride past the Tiananmen Square in Beijing on August 18, 2026. (Photo by ADEK BERRY / AFP)
TT

Chinese Space Program Pioneer Liu Jiyuan Dies at 93

Commuters ride past the Tiananmen Square in Beijing on August 18, 2026. (Photo by ADEK BERRY / AFP)
Commuters ride past the Tiananmen Square in Beijing on August 18, 2026. (Photo by ADEK BERRY / AFP)

A pioneer of China's aerospace program, Liu Jiyuan, died in Beijing aged 93 after an illness, the main space contractor said on Wednesday.

In a career of nearly four decades from 1960, Liu worked on, and ⁠led development of, ⁠control systems for China's first generation of strategic weapons and launch vehicles.

Born in 1933, Liu died ⁠on Monday due to illness, the contractor, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, said.

The expert in missile and rocket control technology was deputy commander of the manned space program in 1992 before heading the ⁠newly ⁠set-up National Space Administration from 1993 until he retired in 1999.

His death follows the August 12 demise of Wang Xiji, who led the development of China's first sounding rocket.


Italian Scientists Bet on Octopus to Fight Crab Invasion

Live blue crabs harvested by local fishermen in the Po river are seen in a waste bucket at Scardovari, Italy, northeast Italy, on June 26, 2026. (AFP)
Live blue crabs harvested by local fishermen in the Po river are seen in a waste bucket at Scardovari, Italy, northeast Italy, on June 26, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Italian Scientists Bet on Octopus to Fight Crab Invasion

Live blue crabs harvested by local fishermen in the Po river are seen in a waste bucket at Scardovari, Italy, northeast Italy, on June 26, 2026. (AFP)
Live blue crabs harvested by local fishermen in the Po river are seen in a waste bucket at Scardovari, Italy, northeast Italy, on June 26, 2026. (AFP)

From a fishing trawler in the Adriatic, Italian scientists gently release thousands of tiny octopuses in the hope of fighting an invasive crab species that has devastated local fisheries.

A team from the University of Bologna is betting that the common octopus can help contain the burgeoning population of blue crab -- a voracious crustacean that has ravaged shellfish production in the Adriatic.

"We chose the octopus because, in the wild, it is a formidable predator of crustaceans," Antonio Casalini, one of the researchers, told AFP.

Native to the North American Atlantic coast, blue crabs arrived in the Mediterranean decades ago, likely transported via ballast water from ships.

But their numbers have ballooned in recent years, with the government and fishing groups linking the boom to warming waters and climate change.

With sharp, blue-tinted claws that are particularly apt at prying open shells, they have wreaked havoc in Italy's northeast -- one of Europe's top clam producing regions.

Authorities in Bologna's Emilia-Romagna region said last year the species has caused almost 17 million euros ($20 million) in damages there since 2022.

Farming and fishing group Coldiretti has put the figure at about 200 million for the whole of Italy, with the northern Veneto region also badly affected.

"It eats everything including young clams lying on the seabed," said Davide Sanulli a fishermen and mussels farmer with thick eyebrows and grizzled hair, said of the crab.

In lagoon-like areas off the Po River delta "it has caused a massacre", added the 64-year-old, who is helping the university project.

Excellent swimmers and weighing up to one kilogram (2.2 pounds), the crabs have few natural predators -- something the researchers are hoping to change.

- Crab-eaters -

Launched last year and funded by the Emilia-Romagna region, the "Octo-Blu" project seeks to increase octopus numbers as a counterweight to the hard-shelled invaders.

The team breeds octopus hatchlings in white water tanks at a lab in the port town of Cesenatico.

When ready, the tiny invertebrates are scooped out by the thousands into a large plastic bag and taken out to sea, sometimes using Sanulli's rugged blue fishing boat.

The hatchlings are then released near underwater reefs where the group has laid cement-and-clay artificial dens to help the octopuses thrive.

Some 80,000 have been let out since June, an amount the research team is seeking to double by the end of August, hoping to see a few grow into fully developed octopuses.

"The idea is to establish a small community close to shore so that it can better combat the spread of the blue crab," said Casalini, an aquaculture technician.

The project has some clear drawbacks.

The common octopus is not prone to live in the sandy, warm waters typical of the lagoon areas where the blue crab is making the most damage, making its potential impact there negligible -- something the researchers are well aware of.

Other experts have suggested that seabass could be more effective at crab-fighting and the Bologna University team is also looking at eels, which are avid eaters of crustacean eggs, to complement the octopus's efforts.

Yet, if replicated, the pilot could still help limit blue crab numbers and the related impact on the Adriatic coast's marine environment, Casalini said.

"Blue crabs have an incredible reproductive potential and fertility rate," said Pietro Emmanuele, another University of Bologna researcher, noting a single crab lays millions of eggs, most of which hatch.

Although only some hatchlings reach adulthood, were an octopus to catch even a single female, it would make a difference, he said.