Iran Supreme Leader Asks Hamas to Silence Calls for Iran, Hezbollah Intervention in War

An Iranian woman wraps herself in the Palestinian flag in front of an anti-US graffiti in Tehran (Reuters)
An Iranian woman wraps herself in the Palestinian flag in front of an anti-US graffiti in Tehran (Reuters)
TT

Iran Supreme Leader Asks Hamas to Silence Calls for Iran, Hezbollah Intervention in War

An Iranian woman wraps herself in the Palestinian flag in front of an anti-US graffiti in Tehran (Reuters)
An Iranian woman wraps herself in the Palestinian flag in front of an anti-US graffiti in Tehran (Reuters)

Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei delivered a clear message to Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, when they met in Tehran in early November, indicating that Iran and Hezbollah group will not wage the war on behalf of the movement because it was not given a warning of the Oct. 7 attack.

According to Reuters, Khamenei told Haniyeh that Iran, a longtime backer of Hamas, would continue to support the group politically and morally but wouldn't intervene directly, Iranian and Hamas officials with knowledge of the discussions said on condition of anonymity.

A Hamas official told Reuters that Khamenei urged Haniyeh to silence the voices in the Palestinian movement calling for Iran and its Lebanese ally, Hezbollah, to join the battle against Israel with full force.

Reuters reported, citing three sources close to Hezbollah, that the group was also surprised by the attack launched by Hamas last month and that the group's fighters were not on alert even in the villages near the border, which formed the frontlines in its war with Israel in 2006.

"We woke up to a war," said a Hezbollah commander.

Hezbollah group is engaged in its heaviest clashes with Israel in nearly 20 years.

Iran-backed armed factions targeted US forces in Iraq and Syria, and the Houthi group also fired missiles and drones at Israel.

- Hamas is frustrated

Hamas is fighting for its survival in the face of retaliation from Israel, which has vowed to eliminate the movement and launched an attack on the enclave, killing over 11,000 Palestinians.

On Oct. 7, Hamas' military leader Mohammed Deif called on the allies of the resistance axis to join the struggle.

"Our brothers in the Islamic resistance in Lebanon, Iran, Yemen, Iraq, and Syria, this is the day when your resistance unites with your people in Palestine," Deif said in an audio message.

Frustration appeared in subsequent public statements by Hamas leaders, including Khaled Meshaal, who thanked Hezbollah for its actions thus far but said, "The battle requires more."

Iranian officials have repeatedly said that all alliance members make their own decisions independently.

The General Coordinator of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said his forces "yearn for the orders of the Iranian leader to go to Gaza."

Iranian officials have threatened to intervene if Tehran was attacked by Israel or the US, according to six officials with direct knowledge of Tehran's thinking who declined to be named due to the sensitive nature of the matter.

Instead, Iran's rulers plan to continue using armed groups, including Hezbollah, to launch missile and drone attacks on Israeli and US targets across the Middle East, the officials said.

The strategy aims to show solidarity with Hamas in Gaza and exhaust the Israeli forces without entering into a confrontation with Israel that could attract the United States.

Former senior US diplomat specializing in the Middle East, who now works at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy think-tank, Dennis Ross, said that it was their way of trying to create deterrence.

"A way of saying: 'Look, as long as you don't attack us, this is how it will remain. But if you attack us, everything changes," he added.

- Hezbollah's internal problems

Hezbollah, the strongest partner in the resistance axis, which includes 100,000 fighters, has exchanged fire with Israeli forces across the border on an almost daily basis since Hamas entered a war with Israel, and more than 70 of its fighters have been killed.

However, Hezbollah, like its supporter Iran, avoided the whole confrontation.

Sources familiar with Hezbollah's thinking said the group calibrated its attacks in a way that kept violence mainly limited to a narrow strip of territory at the border, even as it has escalated those strikes in the past few days.

One source said that Hamas wants Hezbollah to strike deeper inside Israel with its massive arsenal of missiles, but the party believes that this will push Israel to destroy Lebanon without stopping its attack on Gaza.

- US is under fire

The US is also keen to avoid the war spreading beyond Gaza.

President Joe Biden has so far sought to limit the US role in the Gaza crisis primarily to ensuring military aid to Israel. Washington moved two aircraft carriers and fighters to the eastern Mediterranean, aimed partly at warning Tehran.

Tensions have escalated with at least 40 drone and missile attacks launched on US forces by Axis factions in Iraq and Syria since the start of the Gaza war in response to Washington's support for Israel, according to the US Department of Defense.

US officials say that Washington carried out three sets of retaliatory strikes against facilities in Syria used by armed factions linked to Iran.

On Monday, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin warned against opening another central front in the conflict.

Austin told a press conference in Seoul, "What we've seen throughout this conflict, throughout this crisis, is tit-for-tat exchanges between Lebanese Hezbollah and Israeli forces."

The Secretary asserted that no one wants to see another conflict break out in the north.

- Israel looks to the north

Austin stressed the need to avoid any regional escalation when he spoke with his Israeli counterpart Yoav Galant over the weekend, according to a transcript of the call.

Two Israeli security sources, who requested to remain anonymous, said Israel is not seeking an expansion of hostilities but added that Tel Aviv was ready to fight on new fronts if necessary to protect itself.

They said security officials believed the strongest direct threat to Israel comes from Hezbollah.

Meanwhile, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday that neither Iran nor Lebanon want any involvement in the crisis and will not participate unless provoked.

During a television interview with RT channel, Lavrov said, "I believe that neither Iran nor Lebanon wants any involvement in this crisis. They certainly have Hezbollah in Lebanon, an organization which is devoted to defending the Palestinian cause, the cause of Arabs in the Middle East."

He believed that the US wanted the conflict to go beyond regional borders, according to RT.

Iran does not recognize Israel's existence, while Tel Aviv has long threatened military action against Tehran if diplomacy fails to curb its disputed nuclear activity.

Iran specialist at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace think-tank Karim Sadjadpour said that in the current crisis, realpolitik might prevail for Tehran.

"Iran has shown a four-decade commitment to fighting America and Israel without entering into direct conflict. The regime's revolutionary ideology is based on opposition to America and Israel, but its leaders are not suicidal. They want to stay in power."

- Amirabdollahian and Cohen in Geneva

The Iranian Foreign Minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, arrived late Tuesday in Geneva and held discussions with UN and International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) representatives, including the Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths and UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk.

On Wednesday, Amirabdollahian called for "immediate and effective measures" to stop Zionist attacks and allow urgent delivery of sufficient humanitarian aid to Gaza.

He called for the formation of an investigation committee of experts to document Israel's actions in the Strip, according to the government-run Mehr Agency.

"The amount of humanitarian aid sent to Gaza is very small and almost zero, and the UN must take immediate and serious action in this regard," Amirabdollahian said in a meeting in Geneva with Griffiths, according to the AFP.

Amirabdollahian warned that the ground is more prepared than ever for the spread of war and the situation in the region to spiral out of control.

He noted that the only thing that can control the current situation is to stop the attacks on Gaza, dispatch humanitarian aid, and stop the displacement of the people of Gaza.

The Iranian minister said Haniyeh informed him during their meeting in Doha three weeks ago that Hamas agreed to release non-military prisoners, but the Israeli side did not provide the conditions that would accelerate the release of non-military prisoners.".



Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT

Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Japan's lower house formally reappointed Sanae Takaichi as prime minister on Wednesday, 10 days after her historic landslide election victory.

Takaichi, 64, became Japan's first woman premier in October and won a two-thirds majority for her party in the snap lower house elections on February 8.

She has pledged to bolster Japan's defenses to protect its territory and waters, likely further straining relations with Beijing, and to boost the flagging economy.

Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing's top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to "revive militarism".

In a policy speech expected for Friday, Takaichi will pledge to update Japan's "Free and Open Indo-Pacific" strategic framework, local media reported.

"Compared with when FOIP was first proposed, the international situation and security environment surrounding Japan have become significantly more severe," chief government spokesman Minoru Kihara said Monday.

In practice this will likely mean strengthening supply chains and promoting free trade through the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) that Britain joined in 2024.

Takaichi's government also plans to pass legislation to establish a National Intelligence Agency and to begin concrete discussions towards an anti-espionage law, the reports said.

Takaichi has promised too to tighten rules surrounding immigration, even though Asia's number two economy is struggling with labor shortages and a falling population.

On Friday Takaichi will repeat her campaign pledge to suspend consumption tax on food for two years in order to ease inflationary pressures on households, local media said, according to AFP.

This promise has exacerbated market worries about Japan's colossal debt, with yields on long-dated government bonds hitting record highs last month.

Rahul Anand, the International Monetary Fund chief of mission in Japan, said Wednesday that debt interest payments would double between 2025 and 2031.

"Removing the consumption tax (on food) would weaken the tax revenue base, since the consumption tax is an important way to raise revenues without creating distortions in the economy," Anand said.

To ease such concerns, Takaichi will on Friday repeat her mantra of having a "responsible, proactive" fiscal policy and set a target on reducing government debt, the reports said.

She will also announce the creation of a cross-party "national council" to discuss taxation and how to fund ageing Japan's ballooning social security bill.

But Takaichi's first order of business will be obtaining approval for Japan's budget for the fiscal year beginning on April 1 after the process was delayed by the election.

The ruling coalition also wants to pass legislation that will outlaw destroying the Japanese flag, according to the media reports.

It wants too to accelerate debate on changing the constitution and on revising the imperial family's rules to ease a looming succession crisis.

Takaichi and many within her Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) oppose making it possible for a woman to become emperor, but rules could be changed to "adopt" new male members.


Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
TT

Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)

The jailed leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party, Abdullah Ocalan, has said that the Ankara-PKK peace process has entered its “second phase,” as the Turkish parliament sets the stage to vote on a draft report proposing legal reforms tied to peace efforts.

A delegation from the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party), including lawmakers Pervin Buldan, Mithat Sancar, and Ocalan’s lawyer Ozgur Faik, met with the jailed PKK leader on Monday on the secluded Imrali island.

Sancar said that the second phase will be focused on democratic integration into
Türkiye’s political system.

According to the lawmaker, the PKK leader considered the first phase the “negative dimension” concerned with ending the decades-old conflict between the armed group and Ankara.

“Now we are facing the positive phase,” Ocalan said, “the integration phase is the positive phase; it is the phase of construction.”

For the second phase to be implemented, Ocalan called on Turkish authorities to provide conditions that would allow him to put his “theoretical and practical capacity” to work.

The 60-page draft report on peace with the PKK was completed by a five-member writing team, which is chaired by Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş, and is scheduled for a vote on Wednesday.

The report is organized into seven sections.

In July last year, Ocalan said the group's armed struggle against Türkiye has ended and called for a full shift to democratic politics.


Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.