Microsoft: State-backed Russian Hackers Accessed Emails of Senior Leadership Team Members

FILED - 20 September 2023, North Rhine-Westphalia, Cologne: The Microsoft logo at the Digital X internet congress in the Media Park. Photo: Rolf Vennenbernd/dpa
FILED - 20 September 2023, North Rhine-Westphalia, Cologne: The Microsoft logo at the Digital X internet congress in the Media Park. Photo: Rolf Vennenbernd/dpa
TT

Microsoft: State-backed Russian Hackers Accessed Emails of Senior Leadership Team Members

FILED - 20 September 2023, North Rhine-Westphalia, Cologne: The Microsoft logo at the Digital X internet congress in the Media Park. Photo: Rolf Vennenbernd/dpa
FILED - 20 September 2023, North Rhine-Westphalia, Cologne: The Microsoft logo at the Digital X internet congress in the Media Park. Photo: Rolf Vennenbernd/dpa

State-backed Russian hackers broke into Microsoft's corporate email system and accessed the accounts of members of the company's leadership team, as well as those of employees on its cybersecurity and legal teams, the company said Friday.
In a blog post, Microsoft said the intrusion began in late November and was discovered on Jan. 12. It said the same highly skilled Russian hacking team behind the SolarWinds breach was responsible.
“A very small percentage” of Microsoft corporate accounts were accessed, the company said, and some emails and attached documents were stolen.
A company spokesperson said Microsoft had no immediate comment on which or how many members of its senior leadership had their email accounts breached, The Associated Press reported. In a regulatory filing Friday, Microsoft said it was able to remove the hackers' access from the compromised accounts on or about Jan. 13.
“We are in the process of notifying employees whose email was accessed,” Microsoft said, adding that its investigation indicates the hackers were initially targeting email accounts for information related to their activities.
The Microsoft disclosure comes a month after a new US Securities and Exchange Commission rule took effect that compels publicly traded companies to disclose breaches that could negatively impact their business. It gives them four days to do so unless they obtain a national-security waiver.
In Friday's SEC regulatory filing, Microsoft said that “as of the date of this filing, the incident has not had a material impact” on its operations. It added that it has not, however, “determined whether the incident is reasonably likely to materially impact” its finances.
Microsoft, which is based in Redmond, Washington, said the hackers from Russia's SVR foreign intelligence agency were able to gain access by compromising credentials on a “legacy” test account, suggesting it had outdated code. After gaining a foothold, they used the account's permissions to access the accounts of the senior leadership team and others. The brute-force attack technique used by the hackers is called “password spraying.”
The threat actor uses a single common password to try to log into multiple accounts. In an August blog post, Microsoft described how its threat-intelligence team discovered that the same Russian hacking team had used the technique to try to steal credentials from at least 40 different global organizations through Microsoft Teams chats.
“The attack was not the result of a vulnerability in Microsoft products or services,” the company said in the blog. “To date, there is no evidence that the threat actor had any access to customer environments, production systems, source code, or AI systems. We will notify customers if any action is required.”
Microsoft calls the hacking unit Midnight Blizzard. Prior to revamping its threat-actor nomenclature last year, it called the group Nobelium. The cybersecurity firm Mandiant, owned by Google, calls the group Cozy Bear.
In a 2021 blog post, Microsoft called the SolarWinds hacking campaign “the most sophisticated nation-state attack in history.” In addition to US government agencies, including the departments of Justice and Treasury, more than 100 private companies and think tanks were compromised, including software and telecommunications providers.



Rubio Doubtful of Diplomacy with Cuba as Trump Raises New Threat of Military Action

(FILES) US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 5, 2026. (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP)
(FILES) US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 5, 2026. (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP)
TT

Rubio Doubtful of Diplomacy with Cuba as Trump Raises New Threat of Military Action

(FILES) US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 5, 2026. (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP)
(FILES) US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press briefing in the Brady Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 5, 2026. (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP)

President Donald Trump and America's top diplomat on Thursday again raised the specter of US military intervention in Cuba, a renewed threat that takes on greater weight a day after the administration announced criminal charges against the island's former leader, Raúl Castro.

Trump said previous US presidents have considered intervening in Cuba for decades but that “it looks like I’ll be the one that does it.”

“Other presidents have looked at this for 50, 60 years, doing something,” Trump told reporters when asked about Cuba during an environmental event in the Oval Office. “And, it looks like I’ll be the one that does it. So, I would be happy to do it.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters separately that Cuba has been a national security threat for years because of its ties to US adversaries and that Trump is intent on addressing it, The Associated Press said.

Rubio says the US prefers a negotiated agreement with Cuba

Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants who has long taken a hard-line against Cuba’s socialist leadership, said the Trump administration wants to resolve differences with Cuba peacefully but is doubtful the US can reach a diplomatic resolution with the island's current government.

Trump's “preference is always a negotiated agreement that’s peaceful. That’s always our preference. That remains our preference with Cuba,” Rubio said in Miami before boarding a plane to attend a NATO meeting in Sweden and then visit India.

“I’m just being honest with you, you know, the likelihood of that happening, given who we’re dealing with right now, is not high,” he said.

Top Trump aides — including Rubio, CIA chief John Ratcliffe and other senior national security officials — have met with Cuban officials in recent months to explore possible improvements in relations. But the US side has come away unimpressed from those talks, leading to even more sanctions imposed on the Cuban government in the past week.

Over the years, Cuba has gotten used to “buying time and waiting us out,” Rubio said. “They’re not going to be able to wait us out or buy time. We’re very serious, we’re very focused.”

When asked whether the US would use force in Cuba to change the island's political system, Rubio repeated that a diplomatic settlement was preferred but noted that “the president always has the option to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest.”

He pushed back on a reporter’s suggestion that it sounded like “nation-building,” insisting it was about addressing a national security risk.

New threats follow US announcement of charges against Castro Federal prosecutors on Wednesday unveiled an indictment that accuses Castro of ordering the shootdown in 1996 of civilian planes flown by Miami-based exiles. The charges, which were secretly filed by a grand jury in April, included murder and destruction of an airplane.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has condemned the indictment as a political stunt that sought only to “justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba.”

The Castro indictment has led many to believe that the Trump administration is following the same playbook it did when it captured then-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro in a military operation in early January. Maduro, who has been imprisoned in the US since his seizure, faces federal drug trafficking charges and has pleaded not guilty.

The US military touted the arrival of the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier and accompanying ships to the Caribbean Sea on the same day the charges against Castro were announced. US Southern Command said the ships are taking part in maritime exercises with partners in Latin America that began in March.

Rubio would not discuss how the US might move to implement the indictment against Castro, who turns 95 next month.

Trump has been threatening military action in Cuba ever since ousting Maduro and then ordering an energy blockade that choked off fuel shipments to Cuba. That has led to severe blackouts, food shortages and an economic collapse across the island.

The Trump administration this month also has slapped new sanctions on Cuba, the largest of which is against Grupo de Administración Empresarial S.A., a business conglomerate operated by the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces.

On Thursday, Rubio announced that the sister of the GAESA's executive president, who was living in the US, has had her green card revoked and been arrested, and is now in US Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody.

“Past Administrations have permitted the families of Cuban military elites, Iranian terrorists and other reprehensible organizations to enjoy lavish lifestyles in our country funded by stolen blood-money, while the people they repress at home suffer in increasingly dire circumstances. No longer,” Rubio said in a statement.

Trump has ratcheted up talk of regime change in Cuba after pledging to conduct a “friendly takeover” of the country if its leadership did not open its economy to American investment and kick out US adversaries.

On Thursday, Rubio said Cuba poses a serious national security threat to America because of its security and intelligence ties with China and Russia and friendly relations with US foes in Latin America.

China opposes US sanctions and pressure on Cuba, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Guo Jiakun, said Thursday.

“China firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty and national dignity and opposes external interference,” Guo added.


Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

Pakistan Seeks Breakthrough in US-Iran Peace Talks

FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
FILE PHOTO: People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iran's foreign minister met his Pakistani counterpart on Friday to discuss proposals to end the US-Israeli war, Iranian media reported, with Tehran and Washington still at odds over Tehran's uranium stockpile and controls on the Strait of Hormuz.

Two days after presenting the Iranians with the latest US message in the negotiations, Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi held another round of talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi in Tehran, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Thursday there had been "some good signs" in the talks, but there could be no solution if Tehran enforced a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz, which it effectively closed to most shipping after the war began on February 28.

"There's some good signs," Rubio said. "I don't want to be overly optimistic ... So, let's see what happens over the next few days."

A senior Iranian source told Reuters on Thursday that gaps had been narrowed, although uranium enrichment and the Strait of Hormuz remained among the sticking points.

The war has wreaked havoc on ⁠the global economy, ⁠with the surge in oil prices stoking fears of rampant inflation. About a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas shipments travelled through the Strait of Hormuz before the war.

The US dollar was near its highest level in six weeks on Friday amid the uncertainty over the peace talks, while oil prices climbed as investors doubted the prospects of a breakthrough.

"We're coming to the end of week 12, we're six weeks in the ceasefire, and I'm just not really that convinced we're any closer to a resolution between the US and Iran," Tony Sycamore, a market analyst at IG, said of the Middle East war.

US ⁠President Donald Trump said the US would eventually recover Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium - which Washington believes is destined for a nuclear weapon though Tehran says it is intended purely for peaceful purposes.

"We will get it. We don't need it, we don't want it. We'll probably destroy it after we get it, but we're not going to let them have it," Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday.

Two senior Iranian sources told Reuters before Trump's comments that Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei had issued a directive that the uranium should not be sent abroad.

The US president also railed against Tehran's intentions to charge fees on ships using the strait.

"We want it open, we want it free. We don't want tolls," Trump said. "It's an international waterway."

Trump faces domestic pressure ahead of November midterm elections, with Americans angry over the surge in fuel prices and his approval rating near its lowest level since he returned to the White House last year. Tehran submitted its latest offer to ⁠the US earlier this ⁠week.

Tehran's descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.

Traffic through the strait has fallen to a trickle compared with 125 to 140 daily passages before the war. Iran has said it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms that could potentially include fees.

"It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it's a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it's completely illegal," Rubio said.


NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
TT

NATO's Rutte Welcomes Trump Sending Troops to Poland

FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa
FILED - 25 June 2025, Netherlands, The Hague: NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte and US President Donald Trump give remarks to the press on the sidelines of the 2025 NATO Summit. Photo: Martijn Beekman/NATO/dpa

NATO's chief Mark Rutte said on Friday he welcomed US President Donald Trump's announcement to send 5,000 troops to Poland, through ‌he added the ‌trend is ‌still ⁠towards a stronger ⁠Europe less reliant on the United States for its defense.

"Let's be clear: ⁠the trajectory we ‌are ‌on - which is ‌a stronger Europe and ‌a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step ‌by step, be less reliant ⁠on ⁠one ally only ... will continue", Rutte told reporters ahead of a NATO meeting in Sweden's Helsingborg.