Iranian Foreign Minister Throws Ball in E3’s Court

 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
TT

Iranian Foreign Minister Throws Ball in E3’s Court

 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 
 Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov in Moscow on April 18 (AP) 

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Thursday he was ready to travel to Europe for talks on Tehran's nuclear program, with France indicating European powers were also ready for dialogue if Tehran showed it was seriously engaged.

Iran is looking to build on the momentum of nuclear negotiations with the United States that resume in Oman on Saturday and after talks with Russia and China earlier this week.

“Iran's relations with the E3 (France, Britain, and Germany) ...have experienced ups and downs in recent history. Like it or not, they are currently down,” Araghchi wrote on X.

Tehran began indirect talks on its nuclear program with US President Donald Trump's administration earlier this month.

The two sides held a second round of nuclear talks last Saturday, with both sides indicating progress.

Trump, who abandoned the 2015 pact between Tehran and world powers during his first term in 2018, has threatened to attack Iran unless it reaches a new deal swiftly that would prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon.

In return, Tehran insists on lifting US sanctions in return for nuclear program restrictions.

Ball in E3’s Court

On his X account, Araghchi wrote that his country’s relations with the E3 have experienced ups and downs in recent history because “each side has its own narrative.”

He said placing blame is a futile exercise, and that what matters is that the status quo is lose-lose.

The FM noted that since last September in New York, he offered dialogue when he met E3 foreign ministers and indeed any other European counterpart.

“Instead of confrontation, I put forward cooperation not only on the nuclear issue, but in each and every other area of mutual interest & concern. They unfortunately chose the hard way,” the Iranian official said.

“I once again propose diplomacy. After my recent consultations in Moscow & Beijing, I am ready to take the first step with visits to Paris, Berlin & London ... The ball is now in the E3's court,” Araghchi said.

He concluded his post by noting that the E3 have an opportunity to do away with the grip of Special Interest groups and forge a different path. “How we act at this critical junction is likely to define the foreseeable future,” he said.

EU-US Coordination

When asked about Araghchi’s comments, France's foreign ministry spokesman Christophe Lemoine said the E3 favored dialogue but wanted to see how serious Iran was.

“The only solution is a diplomatic solution, and Iran must resolutely engage in this path and it's a proposal the E3 have put forward many times, so we will continue dialogue with the Iranians,” he told a news conference.

The United States did not tell European countries about the nuclear talks in Oman before Trump announced them, even though they hold a key card on the possible reimposition of UN sanctions on Tehran.

However, according to two European diplomats, the US lead technical negotiator Michael Anton briefed E3 diplomats in Paris on April 17, suggesting that coordination has improved, according to Reuters.

Rubio’s Warnings

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Wednesday that Iran will have to stop enriching uranium under any deal with the United States and could only import what is needed for a civilian nuclear program.

However, Iran has already made clear that its right to enrich uranium is not negotiable. When asked about Rubio's comments, a senior Iranian official, close to Iran's negotiating team, again said on Wednesday “zero enrichment is unacceptable,” according to Reuters.

“There's a pathway to a civil, peaceful nuclear program if they want one,” Rubio told the “Honestly with Bari Weiss” podcast on Tuesday.

“But if they insist on enriching, then they will be the only country in the world that doesn't have a 'weapons program,' ... but is enriching. And so I think that's problematic,” he said.

US Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff last week said Iran does not need to enrich past 3.67% - a remark that raised questions as to whether Washington still wanted Tehran to dismantle its enrichment program.

Witkoff, initially suggested the US was open to allowing Iran to continue low-level uranium enrichment.

Many American conservatives and Israel, which wants Iran’s nuclear facilities destroyed, objected.

Witkoff issued what the Trump administration described as a clarification, saying, “Iran must stop and eliminate its nuclear enrichment and weaponization program.”

On Tuesday, Rubio said that Witkoff was initially talking about “the level of enriched material that they would be allowed to import from outside, like multiple countries around the world do for their peaceful civil nuclear programs.”

“If Iran wants a civil nuclear program, they can have one just like many other countries in the world have one, and that is they import enriched material,” he said.

Last week, Rubio urged European countries to swiftly make a significant decision regarding the reimposition of sanctions against Iran ahead of negotiations in Rome between US and Iranian representatives.

He warned that Europeans should anticipate receiving a report from the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) indicating that Iran is not only non-compliant but dangerously close to developing a nuclear weapon.

Relations between Iran and the European troika have deteriorated after the E3 activated a resolution at the IAEA Board of Governors meeting, criticizing Iran for “failing to cooperate fully” with the UN nuclear agency and urging Tehran to address concerns regarding uranium particles allegedly found at two nuclear sites in the country.

Last week, IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi visited Tehran where he discussed with Iranian officials means to resolve outstanding disputes. He then headed to Washington in an attempt to hold talks with US officials.

On Wednesday, Grossi said Iran has agreed to let in an International Atomic Energy Agency technical team in the coming days to discuss restoring camera surveillance at nuclear sites.

The head of the UN nuclear watchdog said the move was not directly linked to the US talks. But Grossi called it an encouraging sign of Iran’s willingness to reach terms in a potential deal.

On Wednesday, he urged Iran to explain tunnels built around a nuclear site but voiced optimism that US-Iran talks would land a deal.

The Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington think tank, released satellite imagery that it said showed a new, deeply buried tunnel alongside an older one around the Natanz site, as well as a new security perimeter.

“I've been raising this issue repeatedly, and I will continue to do so,” Grossi told reporters on a visit to Washington.

 



Somalia Federal Troops and Armed Opposition Clash in Baidoa City

Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
TT

Somalia Federal Troops and Armed Opposition Clash in Baidoa City

Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer
Civilians gather at a street following clashes between Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups, in Baidoa, Somalia August 17, 2026. REUTERS/Stringer

Somalia's federal troops and armed opposition groups clashed in heavy fighting in Baidoa city center on Monday, a local resident and an army officer told Reuters.

The administrative capital of South West state, Baidoa is home to international peacekeepers and humanitarian agencies. It is one of Somalia's largest cities ‌with a population ‌of over a million people.

Fresh fighting ‌in ⁠the city could ⁠compound a dire humanitarian crisis in the area.

Baidoa hosts hundreds of thousands of displaced people and one in four children at displacement sites there are severely malnourished, according to a July survey by Medecins Sans Frontieres.

"Militias loyal to the ⁠former Baidoa president entered Baidoa from two ‌sides, challenging two battalions ‌of federal military. Fighting has intensified now," Farah Nur, ‌a shopkeeper in the city, told Reuters.

Federal troops ‌have been in charge of the city since March when they seized control, which prompted South West state leader Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed Laftagareen to resign.

Nur told Reuters ‌federal forces were using heavy weapons and that he had seen at ⁠least two ⁠civilians killed in their houses by stray bullets and that several others who were injured were being taken to hospital.

Hassan Mohamed, Laftagareen's spokesperson, said in a post on Facebook that their troops had captured Baidoa and asked federal forces to surrender. His claim could not be independently verified.

"The armed militias attacked Baidoa this morning, we are pushing them back....there are casualties as stray bullets enter houses," Captain Osman Abdullahi, a Somalia federal military officer, told Reuters.


Rain Brings Respite as Belgium Wrestles Massive Wildfire

Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Rain Brings Respite as Belgium Wrestles Massive Wildfire

Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, Belgium, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

Much-needed rain brought some respite Monday to firefighters on their fourth day battling Belgium's worst wildfire in a century, which has scorched vast expanses of nature reserve on the German border.

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer that has already contributed to the deaths of thousands of people.

France, Greece, Portugal and Spain were also battling major fires over the weekend.

In Belgium, currently the continent's most urgent fire front, around 500 firefighters and emergency crews have mobilized to contain the blaze, which broke out Friday for reasons still unknown in the High Fens park, an area of boggy peatlands, pine forests and hiking trails.

Water-bombing aircraft and farmers' tractors have joined forces to help tame the fire, which as of Sunday had spread to 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- an area half the size of Manhattan.

But Tony Hosmans, a crisis management spokesman, told reporters Monday the blaze was no longer advancing towards the German border -- after creeping nearer over the weekend, prompting an evacuation order in the border town of Monschau.

The rain falling Monday on the area -- with more forecast on and off throughout the week -- was a welcome development.

"The wind is favorable and the current rainfall is helping to contain the spread" of the fire, said Hosmans.

"At present, the fire is contained wherever intervention is possible," he said -- although he cautioned it had not yet been brought under control, with an aerial reconnaissance mission due to deliver a fuller picture later in the day.

The blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves and drought.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

A huge area at the border has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke hazard has triggered the evacuation of two Belgian villages, whose residents were still under instruction to stay away.

- 'Happening to us' -

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground, and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control, with two water-bombing aircraft from Sweden and two Dutch military Chinook helicopters backing up two Belgian helicopters on site.

Local farmers have also poured in to help battle the blaze, with a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water drawn from a nearby lake.

"We've provided drinks and some meals," Annick Dodemont, who runs one of many local businesses supporting the firefighting operation, told AFP.

"We can't go up there ourselves, so we help however we can," said the 41-year-old.

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country on Friday, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.

"It's pretty shocking," Dodemont said from her restaurant in Eupen. "You always think it happens somewhere else. Well, not anymore. It's happening to us."


Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
TT

Taiwan's President: Record Defense Spending an Investment in Peace

A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang
A Taiwanese military member fires ammunition aboard an armoured vehicle during a drill as part of the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Taipei, Taiwan, August 13, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang

Taiwan is determined to strengthen its defenses and plans record defense spending next year, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, describing his government's military budget proposal as an investment in peace.

Taiwan's cabinet will unveil next year's budget on Thursday, including a breakdown of where defense spending will go, but Lai confirmed media reports that 2027's overall defense budget would exceed T$1 trillion ($31.40 billion) for the first time.

His announcement comes as China, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory, has ramped up military ⁠and political pressure over ⁠the past few years to assert its claims, which Taipei strongly rejects.

But Taiwan also faces calls from Washington to spend more on its own defense, mirroring US pressure on Europe, something Lai has enthusiastically embraced.

Addressing a meeting about next year's budget, Lai said defense spending in 2027 would reach T$1.1225 trillion - exceeding 3% of gross domestic product, according to a transcript of the remarks released by his office.

According to Reuters, he said ⁠this "demonstrates Taiwan's determination to strengthen its self-defense capabilities".

"Investing in defense is investing in peace; we will continue to build a more solid defense force to maintain peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait and the region," Lai added.

Taiwan's government has made military modernization a key policy platform and has repeatedly pledged to spend more on its defenses, including developing made-in-Taiwan submarines, given the rising threat from China.

China's military operates almost daily in the waters and skies around Taiwan, and Beijing has also been honing new tactics, such as coastguard "law enforcement" patrols off Taiwan's east coast in the Pacific Ocean.

William Chung, an assistant research fellow at Taiwan Defense ⁠Ministry think-tank the ⁠Institute for National Defense and Security Research, said China's east coast activities were not only aimed at exerting psychological pressure, but also combat training and intelligence gathering.

"If actual hostilities break out across the Taiwan Strait, the entire eastern maritime area of Taiwan will be Taiwan's most critical outlet to the outside world," he told a forum in Taipei earlier on Monday.

Taiwan finished its annual Han Kuang military drills last week, simulating a range of battle scenarios including how to break a potential Chinese maritime blockade.

China's Defense Ministry called the drills a "wasteful charade" that "stoked war panic".

Lai also faces a challenge from Taiwan's opposition-dominated parliament, which only passed this year's budget late on Friday after months of delays.

The two main opposition parties say they will not write blank checks for the government.