New US-Iran Agreement Stricter Than 2015 JCPOA

FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
TT

New US-Iran Agreement Stricter Than 2015 JCPOA

FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)

The US is seeking to ink a new agreement with Iran similar to their 2015 JCPOA but with stricter conditions, including a permanent and structural change in Tehran’s nuclear capabilities.

The deal comes despite pressures imposed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who seek a “zero enrichment” and a Libya-style deal that dismantles Iran's nuclear infrastructure.

Diplomats from all sides of the negotiations told Reuters on Friday that an initial framework under discussion preserves the core of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) - scrapped by President Donlad Trump in 2018 during his first term.

Eight sources said a deal may not look radically different to the former pact, which Trump called the worst in history, but would extend duration to 25 years, tighten verification, and expand so-called sunset clauses that pause but don't completely dismantle aspects of Iran's nuclear program.

Stricter Deal

Under the terms being discussed, Iran would limit stockpile size and centrifuge types, and dilute, export or seal its 60% uranium stock under unprecedented International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) scrutiny - all in exchange for substantial sanctions relief, all the sources said.

Also, under proposals discussed in rounds of talks in April, Iran would cap enrichment at 3.67%, in line with the JCPOA, all the sources said, including three Iranian officials.

Tehran is also open to granting the IAEA expanded access to its nuclear sites, the Iranian sources said.

A senior regional source close to Tehran said the current debate over Iran's uranium stockpiles centers on whether Iran “will keep a portion of it - diluted - inside the country while sending another portion abroad, possibly to Russia.”

Meanwhile, the Reuters report mentioned several sticking points, mainly related to Washington’s demand to address the Iranian ballistic program, while Iranian officials say their missile development is not up for negotiation.

Another striking point is related to Iran’s refusal to dismantle its entire nuclear infrastructure.

Diplomats said Netanyahu sees a rare opening because last year’s military campaigns crippled Iran’s air defenses, and decimated Hezbollah’s missile arsenal - Tehran’s primary deterrent.

“This is a historic window for Israel to strike Iran's nuclear sites,” said an official in the Middle East.

The United States, he said, opposes such a move for several reasons - chief among them the concerns of Gulf Arab states, which Washington cannot ignore given its deep strategic and economic ties in the region.

Israel is demanding “zero enrichment” and a Libya-style deal that dismantles Iran's nuclear infrastructure.

One regional security official said Washington is pressing to include the ballistic missile program in the talks, but Tehran “continues to reject any discussion.”

He added that the problem is that without addressing the missile issue, Trump cannot claim that the new deal goes beyond the JCPOA.

One Iranian official previously told Reuters it would not go beyond the requirements of the 2015 deal, offering only to avoid building missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads as a “gesture of goodwill.”

Trump Ups Pressure

While Trump further increased the pressure against Iranian oil, US expects new discussions with Iran “in the near future” on Tehran's nuclear program, despite the postponement of those planned for Saturday.

The talks between the two countries, enemies for four decades, aim to conclude a new agreement to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons - an ambition Tehran has always denied having - in exchange for lifting the sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Washington and Tehran were set to meet for a fourth round of negotiations on Saturday in Rome, after both parties reported progress in previous discussions. But Iran confirmed the postponement on Thursday after the Omani mediator cited “logistical reasons.”

Washington nevertheless indicated it "expects that new discussions will take place in the near future," stating that the date and location of those originally planned for this weekend were never confirmed.

Meanwhile, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot told AFP that other discussions scheduled for Friday, between Iran on one hand, and the United Kingdom, France, and Germany on the other, will also not occur.

Barrot is in Washington, where he met his US counterpart Marco Rubio.

Rubio told Fox News that Iran should not be afraid of nuclear inspections, including by Americans, amid diplomatic efforts between the two countries over Iran’s nuclear program.

Oil Purchases

Trump, who has revived his so-called “maximum pressure” policy on Iran by pressing it to negotiate while threatening to bomb it if diplomacy fails, promised Thursday to be uncompromising in the effective implementation of sanctions dating back to his first term. Specifically, radical measures against Iranian oil.

“All purchases of Iranian oil or petrochemical products must cease, NOW,” the American president emphasized on his Truth social network. “Any country or person buying any amount of Iranian oil or petrochemical products will be immediately subjected to indirect sanctions.”

Trump's warnings come a day after Washington announced new sanctions against seven companies accused of being involved in selling Iranian oil.

In response, Iran slammed a “US policymakers' contradictory approach, and their lack of good faith and seriousness to progress on the path of diplomacy.”

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said “these sanctions, designed within the framework of the criminal and failed ‘maximum pressure’ policy, expose Washington’s contradictory behavior and its lack of sincerity in advancing diplomacy.”

He said, “The sanctions announced in recent days under various pretexts—targeting Iranian and non-Iranian individuals and companies—are a blatant sign of the US ongoing violations of international norms and its efforts to disrupt legal relations between developing nations through economic terrorism.”



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.