Pentagon Cracks Down on Troops’ Social Media Posts About Charlie Kirk 

People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
TT

Pentagon Cracks Down on Troops’ Social Media Posts About Charlie Kirk 

People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 
People attend a vigil for Charlie Kirk at Arizona State University on September 15, 2025 in Tempe, Arizona. (Getty Images/AFP) 

The US military is taking swift disciplinary action against US troops over social media posts linked to the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk, carrying out a "zero-tolerance" policy toward those it sees as cheering his death, US officials said.

The Pentagon has not publicly said how many service members have been disciplined so far but one US official told Reuters it was likely in the dozens, as US military leadership pursues a crackdown ordered by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who knew Kirk personally.

Kirk, a 31-year-old conservative media celebrity known for his hard-right rhetoric, was killed by a single rifle shot during an outdoor event last week at Utah Valley University.

The staunch ally of President Donald Trump was not in the US military's chain of command and had no official role in the US government.

But legal experts and US officials say US troops do not have the same free speech rights as private citizens and can be punished for public-facing comments if commanders determine they violate Uniform Code of Military Justice provisions related to "good order and discipline."

"We WILL NOT tolerate those who celebrate or mock the assassination of a fellow American at the Department of War," Sean Parnell, the top Pentagon spokesperson, wrote on X, in comments reposted by Hegseth.

"It's a violation of the oath, it's conduct unbecoming, it's a betrayal of the Americans they've sworn to protect & dangerously incompatible with military service."

Trump has ordered the Department of Defense to rename itself the Department of War, a change that will require action by Congress.

The Army, Marine Corps and Navy did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters whether they had disciplined US troops over such social media posts.

An Air Force spokesperson said: "As commanders verify inappropriate actions, they are taking the necessary administrative and disciplinary actions to hold service members accountable."

CHILLING EFFECT

Three US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said disciplinary actions so far have included relieving service members from their positions and other admonishment. While there were no known cases of people being separated from military service entirely, officials did not rule out that it might happen.

"The problem is they have very little protection," said Rachel VanLandingham, a former Air Force lawyer now at Southwestern Law School.

One US official referred to Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which he said clearly prohibited "contemptuous words" against any sitting US president, the defense secretary, Congress and other senior officials.

Matthew Lohmeier, an undersecretary of the Air Force, announced over the weekend his intention to prosecute and remove from service an Air Force senior master sergeant in Florida who made comments about Kirk as well as about Trump. He said the airman's entire chain of command should be investigated.

"Men and women who are guilty of this kind of behavior will not serve in uniform," Lohmeier wrote on X.

While the Pentagon may find clear cases of violations of military law during the crackdown, legal experts caution that it is also creating a chilling effect on what would otherwise be permissible speech by US troops, who are increasingly fearful of being seen as opposing the Trump administration.

VanLandingham said she had spoken to an active duty service member who had just combed through 20 years of social media posts, deleting those that have views not currently supported by Trump and his allies.

"The Department of Defense, from the very top, is telling individuals they cannot have certain thoughts," she said, adding that others will likely be "suppressed by threat of punishment."

One US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, acknowledged a chilling effect on what troops were sharing online. But the official also said troops should watch what they do, particularly on public-facing social media - given the current heated political climate.

"Sharing any kind of hot take when publicly identifiable as part of DoD (is) also dumb," the official added.



Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.