Iran Weighs Options to Avert European Trio’s Snapback Sanctions

Rafael Grossi speaks at IAEA conference in Vienna, Sept. 15, 2025 (AFP)
Rafael Grossi speaks at IAEA conference in Vienna, Sept. 15, 2025 (AFP)
TT

Iran Weighs Options to Avert European Trio’s Snapback Sanctions

Rafael Grossi speaks at IAEA conference in Vienna, Sept. 15, 2025 (AFP)
Rafael Grossi speaks at IAEA conference in Vienna, Sept. 15, 2025 (AFP)

Iran has 10 days left to respond to conditions set by France, Britain and Germany to halt the reactivation of UN sanctions, after the European powers notified the Security Council on Aug. 28 of their plan to trigger the so-called “snapback” mechanism against Tehran.

The sanctions – suspended under the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers – would automatically return in six packages covering finance, banking, oil, gas and defense. The process leaves Tehran little room to maneuver before the month-long deadline expires.

The European trio has demanded that Iran allow International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors to resume their work in the country, disclose the fate of about 440 kg of highly enriched uranium said to have gone missing after US and Israeli strikes in June, and engage in direct talks with Washington to reach a new nuclear agreement.

Iranian nuclear chief Mohammad Eslami addressed the IAEA’s annual conference in Vienna on Sept. 15, underscoring Tehran’s rejection of the European move, which it says lacks legitimacy after the United States quit the deal under President Donald Trump.

Tehran swiftly launched a diplomatic campaign with Russia and China to counter the European initiative. Moscow circulated a draft resolution, backed by Beijing, calling for an extension of UN resolution 2231 that endorsed the 2015 deal, while stripping the Europeans of the right to invoke snapback during the new grace period.

But diplomats said the draft was never tabled, fearing a Western veto or insufficient votes in the Council. By design, the snapback mechanism cannot be blocked by veto, making it largely automatic once triggered.

The European move has already rattled Iran’s economy, sending the rial tumbling, while reviving the prospect of the broad sanctions regime lifted a decade ago. A report by New York-based Soufan Center said the US and its allies view snapback as a way to keep Iran strategically weak and unable to rebuild its nuclear program damaged in recent Israeli and US strikes.

Iranian leaders, it added, see it as a Western bid to cripple the economy indefinitely, potentially fueling unrest that could threaten Iran’s survival.

Inside Iran, hardliners have urged a defiant response, including expelling IAEA inspectors, quitting the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), and pursuing nuclear weapons – steps reminiscent of North Korea.

But President Masoud Pezeshkian and Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi have so far pursued a softer line, agreeing to conditional engagement with Europe. That led to a Sept. 9 agreement in Cairo between Araghchi and IAEA chief Rafael Grossi, brokered by Egypt, for inspectors to resume work in Iran.

The deal allows visits to all sites, including those hit in Israeli and US strikes during June’s 12-day war. Grossi said the new framework covered “all facilities and infrastructure in Iran” and required reporting of nuclear material at damaged sites.

European diplomats see the move as a partial concession by Tehran – fully meeting the first condition on inspections, and partly addressing the second on uranium stockpiles.

As a goodwill gesture, Araghchi also signaled that Tehran may soon release two French nationals held for three years on spying charges, a move aimed at softening Paris’ stance.

The most difficult demand remains the third: direct talks with Washington. With Israel warning of more military action and US officials calling for the dismantling of Iran’s uranium enrichment and plutonium reprocessing capacity, Iranian leaders face a dilemma.

“The key question is whether the Europeans will consider the concessions made so far sufficient to delay snapback,” one European diplomat in Paris said.

Attention is now turning to next week’s UN General Assembly in New York, where Pezeshkian and Araghchi are expected to attend. Araqchi told Iran’s IRNA news agency that several regional states – not only Qatar but also Oman – had offered to mediate with Washington, but insisted the issue was political will rather than who played go-between.

The US has meanwhile pressed Iran to act “swiftly and concretely” to honor its obligations, while the Europeans issued a Sept. 10 statement urging full compliance with safeguards and unrestricted inspections.

Western capitals remain wary. Energy Secretary Chris Wright told the IAEA meeting in Vienna on Monday that Washington’s goal was the “complete dismantling” of Iran’s path to a nuclear weapon. At the same time, he voiced hope that dialogue could resume.

Iran, for its part, renewed calls for security guarantees against further military strikes and reiterated its right to peaceful nuclear energy.

For now, the standoff could swing between cautious engagement, temporary freezes, or a sharp escalation if the snapback takes effect. Whether Europe will blink before the deadline – and on what terms – remains the central question.

 



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.