Maduro Is Out but It’s Unclear Who Is Running Venezuela

Venezuela's Minister of Interior Relations, Justice, and Peace, Diosdado Cabello, speaks during a press conference of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) in Caracas, on November 10, 2025. (AFP)
Venezuela's Minister of Interior Relations, Justice, and Peace, Diosdado Cabello, speaks during a press conference of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) in Caracas, on November 10, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Maduro Is Out but It’s Unclear Who Is Running Venezuela

Venezuela's Minister of Interior Relations, Justice, and Peace, Diosdado Cabello, speaks during a press conference of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) in Caracas, on November 10, 2025. (AFP)
Venezuela's Minister of Interior Relations, Justice, and Peace, Diosdado Cabello, speaks during a press conference of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV) in Caracas, on November 10, 2025. (AFP)

The US capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro - praised by President Donald Trump as stunning and powerful - leaves behind uncertainty about who is running the oil-rich country.

Trump said on Saturday that Vice President Delcy Rodriguez, part of the powerful cabal at the top of the country's government, had been sworn in after Maduro's arrest and that she had spoken with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, leading to speculation that she would take the reins.

Under Venezuela's constitution, Rodriguez becomes acting president in Maduro's absence and the country's top court ordered her to assume the role late Saturday night.

But shortly after Trump's remarks, Rodriguez appeared on state television flanked by her brother, the head of the national assembly Jorge Rodriguez, Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello and Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez and said that Maduro remained Venezuela's only president. The joint appearance indicated the group that shared power with Maduro is staying united - for now.

Trump publicly closed the door Saturday on working with opposition leader and Nobel Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, widely seen as Maduro's most credible opponent, saying she doesn't have support inside the country.

After Machado was barred from running in Venezuela's 2024 elections, international observers say her ‌stand-in candidate won the ‌vote in a landslide, despite Maduro's government claiming victory.

CIVILIAN-MILITARY POWER BALANCE

For more than a decade, real ‌power ⁠in Venezuela has ‌been held by a small circle of senior officials. Analysts and officials say though that the system depends on a sprawling web of loyalists and security organs, fueled by corruption and surveillance.

Within the inner circle, a civilian-military balance reigns. Each member has their own interests and patronage networks. Currently Rodriguez and her brother represent the civilian side. Padrino and Cabello represent the military side.

This power structure makes dismantling Venezuela's current government more complex than removing Maduro, according to interviews with current and former US officials, Venezuelan and US military analysts and security consultants to Venezuela's opposition.

"You can remove as many pieces of the Venezuelan government as you like, but it would have to be multiple actors at different levels to move the needle," said a former US official involved in criminal investigations in Venezuela.

A big ⁠question mark surrounds Cabello, who exerts influence over the country's military and civilian counterintelligence agencies, which conduct widespread domestic espionage.

"The focus is now on Diosdado Cabello," said Venezuelan military strategist Jose Garcia. "Because he ‌is the most ideological, violent and unpredictable element of the Venezuelan regime."

The United Nations found ‍both SEBIN, the civilian agency, and DGCIM, the military intelligence service, have ‍committed crimes against humanity as part of a state plan to crush dissent.

Eleven former detainees - including some who were once security personnel themselves - ‍described electric shocks, simulated drownings, and sexual abuse at DGCIM black sites to Reuters in interviews before Maduro's capture.

"They want you to feel like you are a cockroach in a cage of elephants, that they are bigger," said a former DGCIM agent who was arrested and accused of treason in 2020 after having contact with military dissidents.

In recent weeks, as the United States mounted its biggest military build-up in Latin America in decades, Cabello has appeared on live TV ordering the DGCIM to "go and get the terrorists" and warning "whoever strays, we will know."

He repeated the rhetoric in a state television appearance on Saturday, clad in a flak jacket and helmet and surrounded by heavily armed guards.

Cabello has also been closely associated with pro-government militias, ⁠notably groups of motorcycle-riding armed civilians known as colectivos.

GENERALS CONTROL KEY SECTORS

Cabello, a former military officer and a major player in the socialist party, has influence over a meaningful fraction of the armed forces, even though Venezuela's military has been formally run by Defense Minister Padrino for more than ten years.

Venezuela has as many as 2,000 generals and admirals, more than double the number in the United States. Senior and retired officers control food distribution, raw materials and the state oil company PDVSA, while dozens of generals sit on the boards of private firms.

Beyond contracts, military officials profit from illicit trade, defectors and current and former US investigators say.

Documents from an opposition security consultant, shared with the US military and seen by Reuters, say commanders close to Cabello and Padrino are assigned to key brigades along Venezuela's borders and in industrial hubs.

The brigades, while tactically important, also sit on major smuggling routes.

"There are some 20 to 50 officers in the Venezuelan military who need to go, probably even more, to fully remove this regime," said a lawyer who has represented a member of senior Venezuelan leadership.

Some might be considering jumping ship. The lawyer said that around a dozen former officials and current generals had reached out after Maduro's capture, ‌hoping to cut a deal with the US by offering intelligence in exchange for safe passage and legal immunity.

But those close to Cabello said he was not currently interested in cutting a deal, the lawyer said.



Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran ‘Drafting Framework to Advance’ Future US Talks, Says FM

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during the Conference on Disarmament at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said on Wednesday that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".

Diplomatic efforts are underway to avert the possibility of US military intervention in Iran, with Washington conducting a military build-up in the region.

Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva, after talks last year collapsed following Israel's attack on Iran in June, which started a 12-day war.

Araghchi said on Tuesday that Tehran had agreed with Washington on "guiding principles", but US Vice President JD Vance said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's "red lines".

On Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

In the call, Araghchi "stressed Iran's focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks", according to a statement from the Iranian foreign ministry.

Also on Wednesday, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other".

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

Earlier on Wednesday, Reza Najafi, Iran's permanent representative to the IAEA in Vienna, held a joint meeting with Grossi and the ambassadors of China and Russia "to exchange views" on the upcoming session of the agency's board of governors meetings and "developments related to Iran's nuclear program", Iran's mission in Vienna said on X.

Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog's inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes.

- Displays of military might -

The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran's ballistic missiles program and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene militarily against Iran, first over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then more recently over its nuclear program.

On Wednesday, Israeli President Isaac Herzog sent a message to Iranians, saying "I want to send the people of Iran best wishes for the month of Ramadan, and I truly hope and pray that this reign of terror will end and that we will see a different era in the Middle East," according to a statement from his office.

Washington has ordered two aircraft carriers to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln with nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometers (435 miles) from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed.

Iran has also sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas.

On Tuesday, state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.

Iran's supreme leader warned on Tuesday that the country had the ability to sink a US warship deployed to the region.


US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.