‘Surprise Strikes’ Loom If US–Iran Talks Collapse

A combined image of US President Donald Trump, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AFP). 
A combined image of US President Donald Trump, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AFP). 
TT

‘Surprise Strikes’ Loom If US–Iran Talks Collapse

A combined image of US President Donald Trump, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AFP). 
A combined image of US President Donald Trump, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (AFP). 

As anticipation grows over the resumption of US–Iran negotiations in Oman, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened an emergency meeting of Israel’s security cabinet on Thursday to assess scenarios in the event the talks fail and to consider the possibility of renewed military escalation.

Ahead of the meeting, Netanyahu briefed a confidential subcommittee of the Knesset’s Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, stressing that the Israeli military is prepared to launch a major strike against Iran—one he said could be harsher than the so-called Twelve-Day War.

Israeli media later reported that the discussions reflected growing concern in Jerusalem over the direction of diplomacy with Tehran.

Channel 12 quoted a source familiar with the security cabinet deliberations as saying there is “full coordination with the United States” on Iran-related matters.

At the same time, The Jerusalem Post reported that Israel’s Chief of Staff, Eyal Zamir, told US officials that Israel is ready to carry out “surprise strikes” against targets inside Iran should Tehran “choose the path of war.”

According to the report, Zamir emphasized that any US concessions on Iran’s ballistic missile program would cross a red line for Israel, alongside other red lines linked to Iran’s nuclear activities.

This stance, the newspaper said, helps explain US Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s insistence that the ballistic missile program be included in the agenda of upcoming talks with Tehran. Rubio reiterated earlier this week that negotiations should address both Iran’s nuclear and missile programs.

Iran, however, has pushed back firmly. Ebrahim Rezaei, spokesman for the Iranian parliament’s National Security Committee, said both uranium enrichment and the ballistic missile program are non-negotiable “red lines” for Tehran.

Netanyahu said he does not yet know what decision US President Donald Trump will take regarding a possible military strike on Iran, but expressed confidence that Washington will adopt a tougher approach in the current round of negotiations.

Channel 12 described Israeli satisfaction with the US position as having taken on a “deep strategic dimension,” noting a recent secret visit by Zamir to Washington that Israeli officials have portrayed as significant.

Former national security adviser Tzachi Hanegbi shed further light on the background in remarks at a policy seminar in Herzliya. He said Netanyahu had previously sought to persuade former President Joe Biden to authorize a strike on Iran, but Biden rejected the idea, preferring to exhaust diplomatic options.

Netanyahu later made similar appeals during Trump’s second term, warning of an approaching “zero hour,” yet Trump initially resisted military action, opting instead for sanctions and warnings.

Hanegbi said Trump’s position shifted in June after reviewing the results of Israeli strikes on Iran ahead of the Twelve-Day War and the successful interception of two large-scale Iranian attacks with US assistance, without American casualties or disruption to shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

He added that Trump was impressed by Israel’s military performance and eventually gave the green light for war, agreeing to join its final phase.

Meanwhile, Israeli political sources told the news site Walla that there is a growing sense in Jerusalem that Washington entered the current negotiations at a poor moment and from a weak position.

They argued that Iran today is more confident and assertive than in 2015, believing its threats of regional escalation were enough to push the United States back to diplomacy.

 

 

 



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.