Rubio's Speech to European Allies Takes Softer Tone but Sticks to Trump's Stance

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
TT

Rubio's Speech to European Allies Takes Softer Tone but Sticks to Trump's Stance

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during the Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio offered a reassuring message to America’s allies on Saturday, striking a less aggressive but still firm tone about the administration’s intent to reshape the trans-Atlantic alliance and push its priorities after more than a year of President Donald Trump’s often-hostile rhetoric toward traditional allies.

Reminding his audience at the annual Munich Security Conference about America’s centuries-long roots in Europe, Rubio said the United States would remain forever tied to the continent even as it pushes for changes in the relationship and the international institutions that have been the bulwark of the post-World War II world order.

Rubio addressed the conference a year after Vice President JD Vance stunned the same audience with a harsh critique of European values. A series of statements and moves from the Trump administration targeting allies followed, including Trump’s short-lived threat last month to impose new tariffs on several European countries in a bid to secure US control of Greenland, a semiautonomous territory of NATO ally Denmark.

On Friday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz had opened this year's gathering by calling for the US and Europe to “repair and revive trans-Atlantic trust together,” saying that even the US isn’t powerful enough to go it alone in a world whose old order no longer exists. But he and other European officials made clear that they will stand by their values, including their approach to free speech, climate change and free trade.

While offering a calmer and more reassuring tone than the one often heard over the past year, Rubio made clear that the Trump administration is sticking to its guns on policy. He denounced “a climate cult” and “an unprecedented wave of mass migration that threatens the cohesion of our societies.”

Rubio argued that the “euphoria” of the Western victory in the Cold War led to a "dangerous delusion that we had entered ‘the end of history,’ that every nation would now be a liberal democracy, that the ties formed by trade and by commerce alone would now replace nationhood ... and that we would now live in a world without borders where everyone became a citizen of the world.”

“We made these mistakes together and now together we owe it to our people to face those facts and to move forward to rebuild,” Rubio said.

“This is why we Americans may sometimes come off as a little direct and urgent in our counsel," he said. "This is why President Trump demands seriousness and reciprocity from our friends here in Europe.”

Rubio said that an end of the trans-Atlantic era “is neither our goal nor our wish,” adding that "our home may be in the Western hemisphere, but we will always be a child of Europe.”

He acknowledged that "we have bled and died side-by-side on battlefields from Kapyong to Kandahar," a contrast with disparaging remarks by Trump about NATO allies’ troops in Afghanistan that drew an outcry. "And I’m here today to make it clear that America is charting the path for a new century of prosperity. and that once again, we want to do it together with you, our cherished allies and our oldest friends.”

US officials accompanying Rubio said his message was much the same as Vance’s last year but was intended to have a softer landing on the audience, which they acknowledged had recoiled at much of Trump’s rhetoric over the past year.

The president of the European Union's executive commission, Ursula von der Leyen, said Rubio's speech was “very reassuring” but noted that “in the administration, some have a harsher tone on these topics.”

In her speech to the conference, she stressed that “Europe must become more independent,” including on defense. She insisted on Europe's “digital sovereignty” — its approach to hate speech on social media.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said that “we shouldn’t get in the warm bath of complacency. He said the UK must re-forge closer ties with Europe to help the continent “stand on our own two feet” in its own defense, and said there needs to be investment that “moves us from overdependence to interdependence.”

Hanno Pevkur, the defense minister of EU and NATO member Estonia, said it was "quite a bold statement to say that America is ‘a child of Europe’.”

“It was a good speech, needed here today, but that doesn’t mean that we can rest on pillows now," he told The Associated Press. “So still a lot of work has to be done."

The conference pointed to tensions beyond those in the trans-Atlantic alliance.

Speaking after Rubio, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Beijing felt “gratified” that Trump respects President Xi Jinping and China, but warned that some voices in the US are leery of China’s rise.

“We see that some forces and some people are still trying their best to suppress and contain China, and are still attacking and slandering China by any means,” Wang said.

He cautioned that “law of the jungle and unilateralism have taken hold” and said some countries “even revive the Cold War mentality.”



Two US Refueling Planes Depart Bulgaria After Iranian Anger

FILE PHOTO: US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
TT

Two US Refueling Planes Depart Bulgaria After Iranian Anger

FILE PHOTO: US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US Air Force planes on the tarmac of Sofia airport, Bulgaria, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Stoyan Nenov/File Photo

Two US tanker aircraft have left Bulgaria’s Bezmer air base, Bulgaria's defense minister said on Saturday, nearly a month after their deployment in the Balkan country angered Iran.

The United States, which has been at war with Iran since February 28, requested their temporary deployment under an agreement governing the joint ⁠use of military facilities.

Iran said at the time that their deployment would constitute complicity in “aggression and war crimes,” a charge that Sofia dismissed.

The two US Air Force KC-135 planes left Bulgaria on Friday, Defense Minister Dimitar Stoyanov told reporters.

The US authorities could not be immediately reached for comment.

The deployment of the ⁠aircraft, approved by Bulgaria's parliament on July 22, led to protests by nearby residents who feared the planes would be attacked by Iranian missiles and drones.

Stoyanov said ⁠all the aircraft's flights during their temporary deployment had been training missions over allied countries and that Bulgaria ⁠had “no information about direct threats to our national security.”

“We are working in full coordination with ⁠the US government and had prior information, which is why all our decisions were well-founded,” he said.

Citing two regime insiders, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday that Iran has been weighing ways to broaden the confrontation beyond the Middle East if Washington intensifies military action.

One regime insider said Iran was preparing options to expand the conflict if Trump followed through on previous threats to attack Iranian infrastructure. Another said Tehran would place “no limits” on its response.

Iranian forces had assessed possible strikes against US assets in southeastern Europe, including Bulgaria, which approved the use of Bezmer Air Base by US refueling aircraft last month, the sources said.

Cyprus, where a British air base was hit by a drone in March, was also identified as a potential target for retaliation against a renewed US offensive, according to one of the sources.

In response to questions about the FT report, NATO official said on Wednesday that NATO is prepared to address any threat and will always do what is necessary to defend all allies, adding that Iran has allegedly weighed attacking US military targets in Europe should Donald Trump escalate the war.

“As demonstrated earlier this year when NATO air defenses successfully intercepted ballistic missiles heading to Türkiye from Iran on four separate occasions, our deterrence and defense posture is strong and effective,” the official said.


Moderate Quake Shakes Japan, Scores Injured

First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
TT

Moderate Quake Shakes Japan, Scores Injured

First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)

A moderate earthquake rattled eastern Japan, including the Tokyo area, early Sunday, injuring more than 30 people, most of them lightly, officials said.

There was no danger of a tsunami.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 and its epicenter was in the southern Ibaraki prefecture with a depth of 70 kilometers (42 miles). The US Geological Survey recorded a magnitude of 5.8.

At least 37 people were injured in five prefectures in the region — 15 in Tokyo, nine in Saitama, eight in Kanagawa, four in Chiba and one in Ibaraki — according to prefectural officials and the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

Most of the injured were hurt when they fell down or hit themselves against furniture or doors as they were caught off guard by the quake while sleeping and got out of bed in a panic, officials said. Among them was a woman in her 80s who fell off the bed and suffered a serious hip injury in Yokohama, in the Kanagawa prefecture, the Yomiuri newspaper reported.

A 23-year-old man told the Asahi newspaper that he felt a vertical jolt seconds after his earthquake alert went off when he was shopping in Tokyo's eastern district of Taito. He said he feared getting hit by merchandise that fell from shelves as the building shook, The Associated Press reported.

The quake caused delays to express trains serving Tokyo and Narita Airport and other local trains serving northeastern regions, but Shinkansen bullet trains were running normally, their operator East Japan Raiway Co. said.

The government set up a task force to assess the extent of possible damage, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said on X.

The Japan Meteorological Agency urged the residents in the area to use caution against another possible moderate earthquake for about a week.

The temblor set off emergency quake alerts on mobile phones and also significantly shook Tokyo. NHK public television showed traffic on roads in nearby cities, including Mito and Saitama, seemingly normal.

An underground water pipe ruptured in Tokyo’s eastern ward of Koto, with water pouring onto the road, NHK footage showed. The pipe has been repaired and the leak stopped.

There were no reports of anomalies from about a dozen nuclear power plants and other facilities that handle nuclear materials, the Nuclear Regulation Authority said.

Last month, a magnitude 7.1 quake struck the Kumamoto area on Japan's southernmost island of Kyushu, killing 38 people and injuring 364.


Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
TT

Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)

Rescuers searched on Sunday for 22 people missing after a merchant vessel sank off India's eastern coast, the navy said.

The Panama-flagged bulk carrier MV Ocean Winner was headed to Singapore from Paradip port in India's Odisha state, according to MarineTraffic.

The vessel sent a distress alert about 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of Visakhapatnam, the navy said, prompting a joint rescue operation with the Indian coast guard.

Two of the 24 crew members were rescued, it said, adding that a navy patrol aircraft had been redeployed to surveil the area.

The coast guard also deployed three vessels, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported, according to AFP.

"The aircraft located life rafts in the area", and coordinated with a nearby vessel, MT Aisopos, to collect two of the crew from liferafts, the navy said.

Twenty crew members were Chinese, three were from Myanmar and one was Bangladeshi, the Press Trust of India news agency reported, citing coast guard sources.

The nationalities of the two rescued crew members were not immediately clear.