Attacks against Israel Intensify as New Supreme Leader Takes over in Iran

 08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
TT

Attacks against Israel Intensify as New Supreme Leader Takes over in Iran

 08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)
08 March 2026, Israel, Tel Aviv: Israelis inspect the damage of a site hit by an Iranian ballistic missile in central Israel. (dpa)

Iran and Hezbollah intensified their attacks against Israel after Tehran appointed Mojtaba Khamenei to replace his slain father as Iran's supreme leader.

On Monday, reports said Iran launched seven missile barrages at Israel while Lebanon’s Hezbollah conducted seven waves of rocket, mortar, and drone attacks targeting Israeli forces at the border and inside Israel.

In Tel Aviv, analysts said the escalation came as a message from the new supreme leader that he was avenging his father's murder.

The attacks sent five million residents running to bomb shelters throughout Sunday evening and Monday afternoon, reported Israeli media.

Emergency responders and news outlets have repeatedly documented injuries sustained while civilians ran for cover, including the death of a 102-year-old man who fell on his way to a protected space in Ramat Gan and later died of his wounds.

Two workers at a construction site were killed and tens of accidents were reported due to the fall of rocket debris in two separate locations following several rocket barrages launched by Iran.

The Israeli army, which has maintained strict secrecy regarding the outcome of Iran and Hezbollah bombings against its sensitive military positions, affirms that along its US partners, is engaged in an intensive operation aimed at degrading Iranian missile capabilities and targeting Hezbollah infrastructure in Lebanon.

The army even boasted that its forces have launched more strikes than the US against Iran, despite being occupied in a second front against Hezbollah at the Lebanese borders.

More Israeli strikes

The Tel Aviv-based Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) said that early in the war, US forces carried out over three times as many strikes in Iran, but since the shift to the "next phase," Israel has dramatically increased its attacks, potentially reflecting strategy, munitions limits and political calculations.

During the first five days of the war, US forces struck about 2,000 targets in Iran, compared with roughly 600 Israeli strikes.

Over the weekend, however, after both Israel and the United States announced a transition to the “next phase” of Operation Roaring Lion, the trend shifted. Since then, the Israeli army has carried out nearly three times as many strikes as the US military, hitting about 2,800 targets compared with roughly 1,000 US strikes.

Overall, according to INSS figures, the United States has attacked about 3,000 targets in Iran since the start of the operation. Israel has struck around 3,400 targets in Iran, in addition to about 600 more in Lebanon.

According to the Yedioth Ahronoth daily, the data suggest that after the transition to the new phase of the campaign, Israel sharply accelerated its strikes in Iran, while the US has largely maintained the operational tempo it set earlier in the war.

Behind the numbers may lie a broader story reflecting different approaches by Israel and the US to managing the conflict.

It said that one possible reason Washington has not significantly increased its strike rate may involve munitions supplies and interceptor inventories.

Also, the US has moved additional military assets toward the Middle East, some of which are still en route.

These include the aircraft carrier USS George Bush and its strike group, which includes three destroyers. In recent days, four US B-1 bombers have also arrived in Britain.

From Israel’s perspective, the shift in strike tempo as the campaign enters its next phase may reflect progress in the fighting. It may also indicate concern that Trump could halt the operation due to public opinion in the United States.

Israeli officials reportedly understood early in the war that it would be important to maximize operational gains quickly.

At the same time, Trump has said several times that the war could last a month or even longer, and there are signs the campaign is far from over.

Trump also said the final decision on when the war ends will ultimately rest with him, although Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will have influence over the timing.

Meanwhile, reports said Trump and his administration have so far offered mixed messages and contradictory explanations on the joint US-Israeli military campaign against Iran.

According to polls, most Americans still ignore why they are at war that has immediately impacted the US economy and energy prices.

According to the right-wing Israel Hayom newspaper, Israelis estimate that despite the wave of large-scale Iranian attacks against Israel, Tehran has not altered its tactics, continuing to bet on the US to intervene and stop the war.



Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
TT

Pentagon Inks Tomahawk Deal Amid Reports of Missile Shortfall

A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)
A visitor walks past Raytheon stand at the 53rd International Paris Air Show at Le Bourget Airport near Paris, France June 21, 2019. (Reuters)

The Pentagon announced a $22.9 billion contract with Raytheon on Monday for Tomahawk missiles amid reports of a shortfall due to the war with Iran.

Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao said the contract will "accelerate Tomahawk missile delivery to our warfighters at unprecedented speed."

"Guaranteeing our naval and joint forces have the lethal firepower they need to deter aggression and protect the homeland is paramount," Cao said in a statement. "The Department is utilizing every available tool to meet the demands of our current operations."

An analysis by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) think tank released last month found that US stocks of Patriot and THAAD air defense missiles have been slashed by the conflict with Iran.

Before it began in late February, the United States had more than 2,300 Patriot and more than 450 THAAD interceptors -- figures that CSIS estimated have been roughly halved or more in the subsequent months of war.

The Washington Post reported this month that President Donald Trump had demanded answers from Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth about munitions shortages at a recent cabinet meeting.

Trump and Hegseth both later denied that the United States was faced with dwindling missile stocks.

Tomahawk missiles are mainly launched from submarines and warships and can travel more than 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles).


UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
TT

UN Laments ‘Unacceptable’ Toll of 350 Aid Workers Killed in 2025

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher briefs the media about the humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip during a press conference at the European headquarters of the United Nations (UNOG), Geneva, Switzerland, Aug. 22, 2025. (EPA)

The number of aid workers killed worldwide in 2025 reached 350, with the most fatalities in Gaza and Sudan, the United Nations said Monday, calling attacks on humanitarians "unacceptable."

The death toll, however, was slightly lower than that of 2024, when 377 aid workers were killed.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) cited the figures from the research and advisory group Humanitarian Outcomes in a statement marking World Humanitarian Day.

Some 186 humanitarians were killed in Gaza -- the deadliest place for aid workers for the third year running -- followed by Sudan with 71 killed.

"More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable," Tom Fletcher, under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs, said in the statement.

"But just calling it out will not protect the next aid worker. States must uphold international humanitarian law and use every tool to protect civilians and our colleagues," he said. "And for those who break the rules, there must be real consequences."

Since the start of 2026, 82 more aid workers have been killed, 97 injured and 39 abducted worldwide.

OCHA voiced particular concern over the proliferation of armed drones "that are putting lethal power into ever more hands and sending more explosive weapons into towns and cities."

In Sudan, armed drones caused 80 percent of civilian deaths in the first four months of 2026, hitting markets and health facilities, the statement said, also noting casualties from drone attacks in the Russia-Ukraine war.

"Weaponized drones have become the new face of an old danger: the deliberate or reckless destruction of civilian life," Fletcher said.


Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
TT

Reports: UK PM Exchanged Messages with Trump Aide Imposter

Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)
Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks with apprentices and staff at the met office during a visit on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. (Reuters)

New British Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged messages with someone posing as Susie Wiles, the White House chief of staff, several media outlets reported on Monday.

According to Politico, which broke the story quoting anonymous sources, the British leader sent a "few messages" via an unspecified communication channel to a person he believed to be Wiles before becoming suspicious.

The incident was deemed serious enough for the British embassy in Washington to raise the matter with the White House, according to two sources cited by Politico.

Neither the date nor the content of the exchanges is known.

Burnham succeeded former Labour Party leader Keir Starmer as prime minister on July 20.

"We do not comment on national security matters," a spokesperson for Burnham's Downing Street office said, without denying the exchanges.

Burnham is not the first prominent British politician to fall victim to this type of hoax.

In 2024, the British government released a video of a phone call in which the then foreign minister David Cameron was duped by someone posing as former Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko.

The Foreign Office explained at the time that it had disclosed the incident to preempt any attempt by the perpetrators to manipulate the footage.