Iran Rejects De-Escalation Offers; Israel Says It Kills Iranian Security Chief

People walk in front of a mural depicting the late Iranian revolutionary founder Khomeini, right, members of the Basij paramilitary force and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei along Enqelab-e-Eslami Street in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Jan. 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
People walk in front of a mural depicting the late Iranian revolutionary founder Khomeini, right, members of the Basij paramilitary force and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei along Enqelab-e-Eslami Street in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Jan. 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
TT

Iran Rejects De-Escalation Offers; Israel Says It Kills Iranian Security Chief

People walk in front of a mural depicting the late Iranian revolutionary founder Khomeini, right, members of the Basij paramilitary force and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei along Enqelab-e-Eslami Street in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Jan. 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
People walk in front of a mural depicting the late Iranian revolutionary founder Khomeini, right, members of the Basij paramilitary force and Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei along Enqelab-e-Eslami Street in Tehran, Iran, Sunday, Jan. 25, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

Israel said on Tuesday it had killed Iran's security chief, the most senior figure targeted since the war's first day, while a senior Iranian official said the new supreme leader had rejected de-escalation offers conveyed by intermediary countries. 

Iran did not immediately comment on Israel's announcement it had killed Ali Larijani, widely viewed as one of Iran's most powerful figures and a confidant of slain Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and his son and successor, Mojtaba. 

In a sign of Iran's continued defiance after more than two weeks of war, the senior Iranian official who asked not to be identified said the younger Khamenei had rejected proposals that were conveyed to Iran's Foreign Ministry for "reducing tensions or ceasefire with the United States". The official did not give further details. 

The official said Mojtaba Khamenei had held his first foreign policy session since being named supreme leader, and had declared that it was not "the right time for peace until the United States and Israel are brought to their knees, accept defeat, and pay compensation". 

He did not clarify whether the younger Khamenei, who has not yet been pictured since being named last week to replace his slain father, had attended the meeting in person or remotely. 

The US-Israeli war on Iran is ‌now in its ‌third week, with at least 2,000 people killed and no end in sight. 

The Strait of Hormuz remains largely closed ‌off and ⁠US allies have rebuffed ⁠US President Donald Trump's calls for them to help to reopen the vital waterway, through which about 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas flows. 

Trump has called on allies to provide military assistance to ease the global economic impact by reopening the strait. Most NATO allies have informed the US they don't want to get involved in the conflict, Trump said on Tuesday, describing their position as "a very foolish mistake." 

"Because of the fact that we have had such Military Success, we no longer 'need,' or desire, the NATO Countries’ assistance — WE NEVER DID!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, also singling out Japan, Australia and South Korea. 

European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said in an interview with Reuters on Tuesday that nobody was ready to risk the lives of their people in protecting the strait. 

"We have to find diplomatic ways to keep this open so that we don't have ⁠a food crisis, fertilizers crisis, energy crisis as well," Kallas said. 

Oil prices rose about 2% on Tuesday as Iran renewed ‌its strikes on oil facilities in the United Arab Emirates, and are up around 45% since the start of ‌the war, raising concerns of a renewed spike in global inflation. 

ISRAEL TARGETS IRAN'S SECURITY OFFICIALS 

The killing of Larijani, if confirmed, would make him the most senior figure killed by Israel ‌and the United States since the war's first day when they killed the supreme leader, other members of his family and other senior officials. 

Israel's Defense Minister Israel ‌Katz said Israeli forces had killed Larijani, as well as Gholamreza Soleimani who led the volunteer Basij militia, which plays a major role in domestic security. 

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel was weakening Iran's leadership to give its people the opportunity to rise up and topple the government. 

"It won't happen in one go, it won't happen easily. But if we persist - we will provide them with the opportunity to take their destiny into their own hands," he added. 

Iranian state media published a handwritten note by Larijani commemorating Iranian sailors killed in a US attack. 

Larijani, secretary of ‌the Supreme National Security Council, had held a series of senior jobs and was close to the slain leader, although he had a reputation for pragmatic relations with other factions in the ruling system. 

AIR RAID SIRENS SOUND IN ISRAEL 

There ⁠was no let-up in attacks by both ⁠sides on Tuesday. 

In Israel, where Iranian missile attacks have killed 12 people, air raid sirens sounded throughout the day in the commercial hub Tel Aviv and surrounding cities as loud blasts of interceptions were heard as far away as Jerusalem. 

The barrage underscores Tehran's capacity to carry out long-range strikes despite more than two weeks of pounding by US and Israeli weapons. 

The Israeli military said it was targeting "Iranian regime infrastructure" with a new wave of strikes across Tehran, as well as Hezbollah sites in Beirut. 

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said Israel "had, in effect already won the war", but gave no timeline for when the war might end. 

More than 900 people have died since Israel began attacks on Lebanon on March 2, the Lebanese Health Ministry said on Tuesday. More than 1,300 people have been killed and 7,000 injured in Iran, Iran's ambassador to the UN said on Monday. 

FUJAIRAH PORT DISRUPTED IN THIRD ATTACK 

Iran has responded by wide-ranging attacks on its Gulf neighbors. 

Gulf Arab states, including the UAE, have faced more than 2,000 missile and drone attacks on US diplomatic missions and military bases as well as oil infrastructure, ports, airports, ships and residential and commercial buildings. 

Oil loading at the UAE port of Fujairah was at least partly halted on Tuesday after a third attack in four days caused a fire at the export terminal. Fujairah lies on the far side of the Strait of Hormuz from the Gulf, making it one of the few ports from which the region's oil can be shipped without passing through the blockaded waterway. 

UAE authorities said debris from an intercepted ballistic missile also fell in Abu Dhabi's Bani Yas area, killing one Pakistani national, while a fire caused by a drone attack was being fought at Abu Dhabi's Shah gas field. 



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.