Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Breakthrough Reached in Lebanon’s Presidential Crisis 

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
TT

Berri to Asharq Al-Awsat: Breakthrough Reached in Lebanon’s Presidential Crisis 

Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)
Lebanese parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (R) shakes hands with Jean-Yves Le Drian (L), the former French foreign minister and special envoy for Lebanon, at Berri's house in Beirut, Lebanon, 25 July 2023. (EPA)

French presidential envoy to Lebanon Jean-Yves Le Drian kicked off a Tuesday a new visit to the country in the hopes of achieving a breakthrough in the impasse over the presidential elections.

He started his three-day trip by meeting parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, who described the talks as good.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that Le Drian briefed him on the talks that were held by the quintet on Lebanon in Doha.

Berri said a breakthrough in the deadlock has been reached, but declined to offer more details about his optimism.

He explained that it was not appropriate for him or others to speak in detail at the moment since Le Drian hasn’t completed his meetings with Lebanese officials.

French diplomatic sources were more cautious, warning against “excessive optimism”. They told Asharq Al-Awsat that the conditions were “constructive”, denying that the envoy had proposed a new initiative to end the crisis.

Lebanon has been without a president since October when the term of Michel Aoun ended. Ongoing political squabbling has led to the current vacuum. Numerous presidential elections sessions have been held, but no candidate managed to secure enough votes to be declared a winner.

Le Drian also met on Tuesday with head of the Kataeb Party MP Sami Gemayel and head of the Progressive Socialist Party MP Taymour Jumblatt.

He is scheduled to meet with several officials and party leaders whom he had met on his previous visit to Lebanon around a month ago.

Since then, the quintet had met in the Qatari capital, calling on Lebanon to intensify efforts to elect a president, who would unite the country and prioritize its interests and carry out crucial economic reforms.

Meanwhile, the “Shiite duo” of Hezbollah and Berri’s Amal Movement have continued to slam “foreign meddling” in Lebanon, most notably in wake of the quintet talks, which were seen as dealing a blow to the French initiative that backed the presidential nomination of Marada movement leader Suleiman Franjieh. The duo also backs his candidacy.

The quintet also rejected the call for dialogue made by the duo, saying it would not be productive at this time.

Hezbollah MP Hussein al-Hajj Hassan said on Tuesday that no progress has been made over the presidential elections.

“Are you still expecting someone from abroad to come up with a solution that the Lebanese can reach among themselves through understanding?” he asked.

Head of Berri’s Development and Liberation parliamentary bloc MP Hani Kobeisy expressed his rejection of “foreign decisions”, adding: “We will reject foreign sanctions that will starve our people. We will not accept a quintet or sextet that holds dialogue instead of us and wants to impose its decisions on us.”

“We have always called for dialogue and continue to do so in spite of the rejection expressed by some parties,” he added.

Meanwhile, Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea said: “Along with its allies, the LF is waging the battle of reclaiming the republic from its kidnappers, by preventing the ‘resistance axis’ from controlling the presidency.”

“We know we have a long road ahead of us in liberating Lebanon from its kidnappers and restoring its state institutions, but we are determined to forge ahead without hesitation until the Lebanese people achieve their goals of a dignified life in a prosperous and sovereign nation where rule of law prevails,” he added.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.