UN Estimates Over 10,000 Families in Yemen Affected by Tej Cyclone

A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
TT

UN Estimates Over 10,000 Families in Yemen Affected by Tej Cyclone

A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)
A car drives through a flooded road in the city of al-Ghaydah in Yemen's al-Mahra governorate on October 25, 2023, following a tropical cyclone. (AFP)

The UN estimated that over 10,000 households in the al-Mahra, Hadramawt, and Socotra governorates had been impacted by the Tej Cyclone.

Local authorities announced the restoration of electricity and communications, and the reopening of roads is allowing teams to assess the impact of the cyclone better.

Director of the Office of the Ministry of Planning and International Cooperation in al-Mahra Governorate Ali bin Balhaf called upon international, regional, and non-governmental organizations to support the local authority in confronting the repercussions and disastrous results of the natural disaster.

The official said several homes and private and public properties were destroyed, and hundreds of families displaced.

He warned of a health disaster that threatens the lives of residents, calling on humanitarian partners to respond quickly and provide all forms of urgent support.

Bin Balhaf stressed that the local authority was ready to provide possible facilities and overcome all difficulties to facilitate access to the affected areas.

UN estimates

The UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Yemen reported that over 10,000 households have been affected, including an estimated 7,100 homes in al-Mahra, 2,682 families in Hadramawt, and 669 in Socotra.

The UN office stated that homes have been damaged, destroyed, or flooded, with household items swept away.

Strong winds and rains also damaged sites for displaced people in Hadramawt and the agriculture and fishery sectors in al-Mahra.

The report indicated that partners continue to conduct assessments and scale-up responses to affected households.

Partners on the ground are prioritizing the distribution of food and shelter, said the report, adding that efforts were also underway to transport additional supplies.

The heavy flooding and rains have damaged houses and infrastructure and displaced families, namely in the Ar-Raydah wa Qusaia'r district of Hadramawt, in areas of Hasswin and al-Ghaydah in al-Mahra, and in both districts of Socotra.

The report noted that the storm's impact across these areas was structural damage rather than loss of life. Local authorities took precautionary measures, including the closure of schools and some roads, the early evacuation of households in high-risk areas, and the early warnings.

The UN confirmed that the local authorities in the three governorates are working to reopen the main roads, such as the road linking the Ar-Raydah wa Qusaia'r District with both Mukalla and Qishin in al-Maharah.

Electricity has been restored in most areas of al-Ghaydah and other districts, except Hasswin. Telecommunications, previously down in al-Mahra, are now operating.

Meanwhile, head of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad al-Alimi visited al-Mahra to follow up on the developments.

Alimi met the Commander of Saudi Duty Forces, Faisal al-Hujaili, and representatives of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) in the presence of al-Mahra and Hadramawt governors.

According to official sources, the meeting touched on the ongoing efforts to confront the repercussions of the cyclone, including humanitarian and relief interventions and rehabilitating basic infrastructure.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.